Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKilgrin
AspiringMycologist
green mold will NOT leave! need to buy a new house?
    #3341863 - 11/10/04 01:43 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

so i have been growing for a while, did the pf tek and casing and that all worked out fine. I moved to grain and then spawned the grain to some straw. Thats when the mold first showed up. Its this green stuff that seems to grow after a few days. I have been trying to be super sterile with my new grows but it keeps coming back when i go to case it. This most recent grow it even got into my jars! which i have no clue how it did that. (i pressure cooked grain, then flame sterlized my needle and rubbed it with alcohol) i use tyvek as a filter on top of the jars and it just keeps comming back. I dont really know what to do. I have tried bleaching all my rubbermaid bins and spraying the room with lysol but that doesnt work. I have a rug in the room, so i cant really clean that any better than i have already tried. I was thinking maybe move it to another room, but im guessing the mold spores are everywhere. Another idea i had was to make a plastic enclosure around the bins, and just spray the hell outa it with lysol before i put anything in there. Another idea i had was maybe my basement, but its kinda dank down there and i figure there more chance of mold and mildue down there. Anyone have any clue how i can stop this mold? I heard that natural sunlight might help stop it some. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks = )

--------------------
- Got any magic mushrooms?
- No, but i got some drawf mush that will really blow your head off. Look at this, last time i took it, i was seeing fairies for 3 days!
- Nicey nice! Roll us a giant!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKatrina

Re: green mold will NOT leave! need to buy a new house? [Re: Kilgrin]
    #3341910 - 11/10/04 01:52 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I'm fairly new at this, but my first 3 sets of jars all grew out green mold. I was really bent. Someone suggested the "oven tek" to me and I have done 3 more sets of jars just finished the first harvest and absolutely no mold anywhere. I have a very old house also with a moist basement. I inoculate in the kitchen. I close all doors, most specifically the basement door. I don't let anyone in. I spray the air with Oust and then the entire front of my stove, the floor around it, the cabinets, pretty much anything withint 3-4 feet of the stove gets hosed with Lysol spray. Then I turn the oven on to 400 and let it heat up while I am setting other stuff out. I get some cotton balls soaked in alcohol in a bowel, alcohol lamp, etc. Scrub myself up, even sometimes spray my close with a light dousing of Lysol. Turn ove down to about 250, open door and sit myself right in front of open door as close as I can get and I take the foil off my jars, flame, cool needle on alcohol ball and hold jar over oven door while I inoculate. I flame and alcohol between each jar. Might seem like overkill to some, but it is the only thing that has worked for me with my old house.

--------------------
Anyone who says size doesn't matter has been seeing too many small shrooms!

InvisibleKyKid
Stranger
Re: green mold will NOT leave! need to buy a new house? [Re: Katrina]
    #3342160 - 11/10/04 02:41 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

the oven tek sounds great to me for you to try and also on the casing getting mold in them, just get a martha there all plastic and you can sterilize them instead of trying to fight off the mold spores in the whole room.

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
Re: green mold will NOT leave! need to buy a new house? [Re: KyKid]
    #3342386 - 11/10/04 03:30 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

hepa air filter + thorough cleaning of the house with a 10% bleach solution and lysol. try using a dusk mask and latex gloves when messing with your bulk materials. when innoculating or doing all your work make it a very small space like a bathroom. as it's easy to clean this very thoroughly. is your bulk substrate covered and hidden from light during incubation?

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: green mold will NOT leave! need to buy a new house? [Re: socratesmind]
    #3343094 - 11/10/04 06:04 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

If you clean well enough and use a HEPA you can get the green mold to leave. No matter how well you think you cleaned..you didnt clean well enough. Vaccum and clean all your clothes and any smooth surfaces with bleech water..use a HEPA and clean EVERYTHING..walls, ceilings..floors..shelves..objects, dirty laundy..vents for any suction fans (I have one in my bathrooms that gets blah after a while)..EVERYTHING. Spray lysol all around the house using like 3 full cans..wear a paint mask and work your way to the door and leave your house for 30-60 minutes...kind of a bomb of sorts. Thats after you clean everything and run the HEPA and then run the HEPA even more (all the time). I have 2 in my house contantly running..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinemushiesonmymind
Stranger
Re: green mold will NOT leave! need to buy a new house? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3343632 - 11/10/04 08:20 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

man that sucks. that is exactly what happened to me and my partner (business that is) last year. we got green mold everywhere and couldnt get rid of it, luckly enough for us our lease ended and i got to move into a fresh house to try my project again. hopefully you can get everything figured out. green mold is the evil empire of the shroom world, good luck and i hope you get stuff taken care of.

mush

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract