Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineroma
the rooster

dunking and rolling
    #3341993 - 11/10/04 02:09 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I have no idea what that means. Can someone point me to the tek that explains this? I'm looking all over and can't find it by search either.
I plan on following the PF tek exactly with six cakes and casing the other six to see how things go. Should I dunk and roll?

--------------------
As you walk through life, take the time once in a while to stop, look up, and smile for the satellite photos.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKatrina

Re: dunking and rolling [Re: roma]
    #3342040 - 11/10/04 02:18 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I just recently had to learn to do this myself and when I searched I found all sorts of things. I searched posts as opposed to searching the site. I will break it down short version for you though. Take your jar, take lid off, scrape off dry layer of verm and then fill jar with water mixed with a little peroxide. Put lid back on and foil back on (not everyone uses foil, but I do). Put in your fridge for like 24 hours. Get some verm and sterilize in oven or mic for 10 minutes (I think some don't sterilize, but I'm paranoid about that so I do). Take jar out of fridge, drain water, then roll cake in the verm and put in your fruiting chamber. Its suppose to make it pin better and more evenly, etc. I just did this about 4 days ago.

--------------------
Anyone who says size doesn't matter has been seeing too many small shrooms!

OfflineSilven
Male

Loc: El Mexicano
Re: dunking and rolling [Re: Katrina]
    #3342072 - 11/10/04 02:23 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I just wanted to point out a few other points to it.

When sterilizing my vermiculite I pre-heat my oven to 250 degrees and then put it in the oven for the 10 minutes that Katrina suggested.  Just wanted to give you an idea of the temp I use.

For the amount of peroxide to water use a ratio of 1 parts peroxide (h2O2) to 10 parts water.

Also after rolling in the vermiculite be sure to mist the cake until the dry vermiculite on it is moist (not soaking wet).

One more thing that's less important than the above points is I like to make sure my cakes are fully submerged and I like to do this by:

Take a sewing needle and sterilize it with either alcohol, anti-bacterial soap, or some lysol.  Dry it off and then stick it about half way into your cake or leave atleast 1/4" of it sticking out of your cake.  Then put your lid on after the jar is filled with water.

The pin will hold the cake fully submerged until you're ready to roll it in the verm, then take the pin out. :thumbup:

Good luck with this!

- Silven

--------------------
What do you bring to the table?

Offlineroma
the rooster

Re: dunking and rolling [Re: Katrina]
    #3342082 - 11/10/04 02:24 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

ah. cool. thanks katrina. By peroxide you mean hydrogen peroxide? the stuff you pour over cuts?

How did the dunking and rolling work out for ya?

--------------------
As you walk through life, take the time once in a while to stop, look up, and smile for the satellite photos.

OfflineSilven
Male

Loc: El Mexicano
Re: dunking and rolling [Re: roma]
    #3342103 - 11/10/04 02:28 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yep hydrogen peroxide.

Dunking and rolling will increase your yields for sure :wink:

--------------------
What do you bring to the table?

OfflineKatrina

Re: dunking and rolling [Re: Silven]
    #3342309 - 11/10/04 03:12 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks Silven, I forgot to point out some of the specifics, especially the misting :smile:  Roma--can't tell you yet how it worked for me, because its only been 4 days, but we will see.  My first set of cakes I just dunked/cold shocked, but did not roll and I did notice that I got clumps of pins on a couple of sides of the cakes, but not even at all and a lot of the clumps had a lot of aborts.  From what I hear rolling is suppose to make it more even and utilize more of the cake.  I've also noticed that 2 of the cakes that are completely done with the first flush are extremely dry and I am getting ready to dunk them again.  I am very curious to see how my "rolled" cakes are going to grow.

--------------------
Anyone who says size doesn't matter has been seeing too many small shrooms!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds