Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Mimosa Hostilis, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDMTelepath
Nut

Loc: States of America
some germination questions
    #3339637 - 11/10/04 02:20 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I'm having trouble germinating a few sorts of seeds, and it's because i've only grew so much stuff in the past 3 years and these are just killin me. First, and hardest is Catha edulis. I'm about to send the rest of these seeds off but i'll have a couple left to experiment with. I hear they are hard to germinate, but i'm willing to try. Anyone with any experience germinating these seeds? They are very fragile it seems. Second are Mimosa hostilis. I've tried germinating these in a paper towl for a few weeks and nothing. I've even scratched off some of the seed coat to try and no luck. Let them sit in water for a week and nothin. Third is datura! I've been growing datura for a very long time, but every time has been from a cutting. I have innoxia, stramonium, and metel seeds now and am eager to start some plants from seeds. Any help?

--------------------
Me, Myself, and GOD

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
Re: some germination questions [Re: DMTelepath]
    #3340816 - 11/10/04 11:54 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

This is what I heard from my friend since we aren't allowed to germ any in the USA. Khat seeds are easy to germ. Just put them on the surface of the soil and cover with about 1/16" to 1/8" of soil or sand. Keep them moist and in from a few days to a week or two they will sprout. Put plastic wrap over the top so the soil doesn't dry out until they sprout. They like sun and just water them when the soil dries out. Fert about the same as any other plant. I have a few khat seeds to trade if you want some that will sprout.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

Loc: Canada West
    #3340937 - 11/10/04 12:23 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I did the paper towel thing with some datura inoxia seeds. After about five days only one had cracked open and it was only a tiny bit. I put all the seeds in cactus soil at a depth of about one centimetre.

A week and a half to two weeks later, after inconsistent watering, none of the seeds have sprouted above the soil. However, in some of the pots, the soil is shifting. Most of them have little craters where the seeds were placed. Some have little brown spots, not unlike what the seeds looked like, just reaching the surface.

I'll be sure to keep you posted on growth.

What are you doing to germinate your daturas?

--------------------

We have to answer our own prayers

OfflineYSr
Stranger

Re: some germination questions [Re: recalcitrant]
    #3342030 - 11/10/04 04:16 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

OfflineDMTelepath
Nut

Re: some germination questions [Re: YSr]
    #3344649 - 11/11/04 01:44 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I've only tried the paper towel method and placing them ~1/2cm down in the dirt. Is Khat a name for Catha edulis?

--------------------
Me, Myself, and GOD

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #3344710 - 11/11/04 01:56 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

its the common name.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Loc: Lysergia
    #3359033 - 11/14/04 09:19 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Second are Mimosa hostilis. I've tried germinating these in a paper towl for a few weeks and nothing. I've even scratched off some of the seed coat to try and no luck. Let them sit in water for a week and nothin.

Hey DMTelepath, i found something which may be of help.

I assume the seeds you sent me are some of the mimosa you weren't able to germinate.
I found an article somewhere that said you needed to pour boiling water over them and let them soak in that for 20 mins before planting in soil.

Ya know what? I did that 4 days ago to a dozen of the seeds and 1 has already sprouted :wink:

It's still too early to know about the other 11, but if you like i'll keep you informed.

OfflineDMTelepath
Nut

Re: some germination questions [Re: esin]
    #3361471 - 11/14/04 09:09 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

For sure man, please do keep me informed! I am going to try this later tonight, so i'll tell everyone what happens. Thanks man!

--------------------
Me, Myself, and GOD

InvisibleLifenergy
Yo Mama

#3362573 - 11/15/04 03:09 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I found this here: http://www.sacredseed.com/ethmim.htm

How To Germinate Mimosoid Plants
Mimosoid plants include hundreds of species of Mimosa, Acacia, Desmanthus, Albizzia, Pithecellobium, and others. Some of the best known plants in this group include jurema (Mimosa hostilis), sensitive plant (Mimosa pudica), wilca (Anadenanthera colubrina), Illinois bundleflower (Desmanthus illinoiensis), and silk tree mimosa (Albizzia jalubrissin) as well as many acacias, mesquites, and others.
Some mimosoids are difficult to germinate, owing to tough shells. This is more true of some than others, such as most Acacia, Mimosa and Desmanthus species. Others, such as Anadenantheras, have thin shells, which can lead to other problems.
In the case of thick shelled seeds, it may be necessary to use different tricks to help speed germination. These tricks are optional, but will increase the speed and rates of germination. One trick is to use a small file or sandpaper to thin the shell.
Make sure you only file away the coat. If you start to see the white or green seed interior, stop filing! Make sure you file on the flatter side of the seed, and never file on the eye or notch of the seed. In my experience, a light filing is sufficient to get most mimosoids to germinate with a high success rate.
Another trick is to soak the seeds in very hot (but not boiling) water. After heating the water, add the seeds. Let them soak for a few hours, and watch for the seeds to start swelling. Ensure you pick the seeds out before they have doubled in size, or they may drown. Some sources recommend soaking the seeds for 10-20 minutes in either hydrogen peroxide or rubbing alcohol instead.
These methods can be combined, and the seeds can be filed before being soaked in hot water. With really stubborn seeds, this may be the best route. If you do this, you will want to watch the seeds more closely as they will swell up much quicker and also be prone to drowning faster.
With the thin shelled seeds, filing should be avoided. You may wish to soak the seeds, but keep the soaking short, under an hour. These thin shelled seeds are prone to rot, so you may wish to take preventative measures such as coating the seeds in sulfur or copper fungicidal dust before planting them. You may wish to start the seeds out in an inorganic medium such as perlite, coarse aquarium sand, or grit rather than using an organic-rich soil or potting mix. If using an organic potting mix, add some sphagnum moss, as this has some fungicidal properties. After the plants have germinated, you can transplant them into potting mix.
Mimosoids are legumes, distantly related to peas and beans. The important thing about this is that these plants all require microbes known as nitrogen-fixing bacteria to be present in the soil. These species of bacteria (including members of the genii Rhizobium and Bradyrhizobium) form a symbiotic relationship with the plants. They form cultures on the plants' roots known as nodules, and the bacteria convert nitrogen (N2, which the plants can not use) into ammonia (NH3, which plants can use).
Without these bacteria, the plants will generally exhibit weak growth and die while still seedlings. There are a few ways to inoculate your plants with these microbes. Another method is to buy vetch seeds and plant them in the soil at the same time as you plant your mimosoids. Let the vetch establish a root system, and grow to several inches tall, then pinch them back to the soil line. This can also be done using common pea seeds.
A third method is to go and find mimosoids growing in your area. Dig up some soil from around the roots, and break off a few small pieces of the roots. Mix this into the soil that you plant your seeds in. The advantage of this method is that it is free, but the disadvantage is that you may also introduce microbes, insect eggs, or fungi which are harmful.
Once established, mimosoid plants are quite easy to grow. Given adequate root space, they will grow rapidly. Alternatively, many species can be kept in small pots and grown into attractive bonsai specimens. Give them good light, water them according to the sort of environment the plant is naturally used to, and feed them with nitrogen rich fertilizer. The hardest part in growing these plants is getting them established. Once you have a healthy seedling, with proper care, your mimosoid plants should be some of the easiest in your collection to care for

--------------------
Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see.

Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

#3367570 - 11/16/04 05:54 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

6 sprouts :wink:

InvisibleLifenergy
Yo Mama

#3368167 - 11/16/04 11:42 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Hell yeah! I just got 100 Hostilis seeds today, 25 of which will be planted following a hot water bath. Wish me luck. :smile:

--------------------
Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see.

Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Re: some germination questions [Re: Lifenergy]
    #3368476 - 11/16/04 01:18 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

:goodluck:

Invisibleshamantra
hobbyethnobotanist

Loc: ¯\(º_o)/¯
    #3368491 - 11/16/04 01:22 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

im not sure if this has been allready said, i didnt bother read everything. but i found out this, there is a huge diffrence in khat seeds from diffrent places. I bought alot of khat seeds and tried everything without succsess. But a friend told me that some khat plants, and this has to do where the plant grows, does not produce viable seeds. I was told to try khat seeds from south africa. I did and I had at least 50% coming up. I dont know about the truth in this but i do know that south aftican khat seeds was the only one that germinated for me.

peace

--------------------
note: english is my 3rd languange, please ignore misspelling and poor english, im doing my best :smile:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ug98TKkWKy0

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Re: some germination questions [Re: shamantra]
    #3369020 - 11/16/04 03:32 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Could be related to the age of the seeds and how they were stored. I have some from australia and they germ just fine.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

OfflineDMTelepath
Nut

Re: some germination questions [Re: shamantra]
    #3369025 - 11/16/04 03:33 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Kickass esin, thanks for the help man, much needed. I'm about to make a little indoor growing tent for some of my more exotic plants, they'd like it a lot. Thanks for the info Shamantra, i will look into some south african khat seeds next time around. Peace

--------------------
Me, Myself, and GOD

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
    #3373410 - 11/17/04 11:59 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Good seeds are good seeds whether from s america or any other continent. You can also get bad seeds from any continent. Look at the company or person selling them and don't worry about where they live. The guy in s america may have gotten them from africa or some place.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Mimosa Hostilis, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden