Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinepsychedelicatessen
why?why?why?why?why?
 User Gallery

Do jars really need incubation, or just heat?
    #3339574 - 11/10/04 01:58 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

Do jars really need true incubation? I dont see the point of building a TiT if all it provides is heat and darkness.

What if you jars are in a closet that has temps of 84-87??  I dont get it...and supposivly humidity isnt a factor in incubating because the jars get all its humidty from the substrate itself.

And they say a heat fan will dry out cakes...how? I can imagine it drying up a cake if the fan was blwoing directly at the jars for a while. But what if the fan was blowing indirectly, inside a closet with a bunch of jars?? (the kind of fan I have automatically turns off n on to keep a desired temp so I wouldnt have to worry about going over 86.)

Im not trying to bring down the TiT because its proven very effective way to colonize jars quickly, but im convinced theres more basic ways to give jars heat..rather then going out n buying a 30-50$ water heater...then submerging in water, in a un in a tub with ties and cords etc.. which THEN gives you your heat. Wouldnt a heat fan do all that for you in one step?

PLZ, if theres and advantages of the TiT, let me know...cuz from my understanding, the jars only need a steady temp and complete darkness to colonize fast.

:smile:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: Do jars really need incubation, or just heat? [Re: psychedelicatessen]
    #3339626 - 11/10/04 02:17 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

Incubator is good for number of reasons.  First it keeps things very organized.  Messy place usually means more for contam to hide.

You can use alternate heating source.  But remember that water has very high specific heat and air has very low.  It means water will hold temperature much better and longer than air.  That leads to stable condition.  Heat fan works... it's risky though.  The temperature of heated air will depend on temperature of air being heated in the first place.  If you have a 10F spike in room temp, you have 95F instead of 85F.  In addition, heat fans in closets will stablize slowly and high.  It may take upto a day to stablize the temp and the glass facing the fans may be exposed to additional heat.  So, only way you can heat the jars evenly using heat fan is to heat the whole closet and far away from the jars. This is kind of like TnT or heatbomb in itself.. just much larger.

Some people have used heating pads.  I really think they are missing out.  Heating pad provides warmth from the bottom, which means top of the jars would be slightly cooler and the bottom warmer, especially during cold days.  This layering affect.. well, something you don't have to deal with when using TnT.

You say $30?  Get more creative.  Open your phone book and start calling small privately owned tropical fish stores.  Some have used ones they sell for few bucks.  Some surplus stores have them, too.  Also, classified and pennysavers.  Look for people selling aquariums and ask them if you can buy just the heater for $5 or so.  Just get creative.  you can do this for cheap even though $30 really is justified for this setup.

Cakes drying out is mostly from radiation heaters.  Convection heaters should never be pointed at your jars, either, though.  The heaters will warm up the jars directly instead of the air around it causing local RH to drop, which of course then will rise again from evaporating water from... the substrate.  Since it's localized, some water will move to other cooler regions(by comparison to local heated area) and deposit moisture or escape the jar all together.  You'll have jars facing the heaters dry out and the other side wetter with heavy condensation, then eventually, the jars will start to dry out.  Amount of drying will depend on a lot of things like how much radiated heat, ambient temperature, distance from heat, local temp difference,e tc...

So, why is TnT so worth it?  Because it's is. :wink:

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
    #3339644 - 11/10/04 02:23 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

You misunderstand. Obviously if you have an area that is already a consistant ~84?F, you don't need to make an incubator, as they would already be incubating(in your spot).

84? is pretty hot, most people don't have their houses anywhere near that, so it is necessary to supplement. If you have a closet that you can do it safely in, that's great. Most people like the convienence, discreetness and safety of using readily available tubs.

Just make sure that the temperature where the jars are is consistant.

You can use a small heater to keep the temperature in the closet in the right range, just make sure that the jars are well away from the heater so that they do not overheat. And please make sure you don't set anything on fire. They're dangerous.

Offlinepsychedelicatessen
why?why?why?why?why?
 User Gallery

Re: Do jars really need incubation, or just heat? [Re: discman1]
    #3339724 - 11/10/04 02:38 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

Thanks for the replys guys.
Im gonna stay with the heat fan in my closet but I will take your advice and keep it far from the jars. I will post back here to let you know how the colonization goes. Possibly might have to convert to TiT]
thnx.

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
    #3339734 - 11/10/04 02:40 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

Something for you to go on.. my average is 9-11 days from inoculation and 6 days best time.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinelesstutrey
All Weather Associate
 User Gallery

Loc: Chicagoland
Re: Do jars really need incubation, or just heat? [Re: Sam1912]
    #3339936 - 11/10/04 04:08 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

i wish my TiT got my jars ready in 9-11 days.. 11 days and i'm just getting them some real good visable growth :frown:

Offlinetimmyonx
 User Gallery
Re: Do jars really need incubation, or just heat? [Re: Sam1912]
    #13895860 - 02/02/11 10:04 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

I kinda feel you with this whole thing. My jars are just chillin in my 80 degree closet. I wonder if that's horrible

Invisiblebiologys
Mycologist in Trainning
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Do jars really need incubation, or just heat? [Re: timmyonx]
    #13895894 - 02/02/11 10:09 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

6 year old thread, lol

but 80 is a bit warm, 70-75 is perfect in my opinion

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation