Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Dessicant

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineKatrina
Stranger

"cracker" dry
    #3338436 - 11/09/04 07:43 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

OK guys, got a question. I had my first harvest in with some desiccant for a couple days because I couldn't go get a fan yet. They dried some, but not real noticeably. Today I got one and put them all on it. I came back like 2 hours later and they had all shriveled down considerably and the caps are now what I would call "cracker" dry, like almost falling apart. The stems are not what I would think of as "cracker". They are not rubbery feeling anymore and have shrunk by more than half it looks like. Even some of the ones I picked this morning and put on the fan at the same time are "cracker" dry, the caps that is. I was under the impression it took longer than that. Anyway, if the caps are this dry, is that right, are they done. Then I've read you should freeze them then for storage. Are there any special tips/tricks or procedures that you guys use, or just toss them in a ziplock and freeze??? Thanks in advance.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Re: "cracker" dry [Re: Katrina]
    #3338453 - 11/09/04 07:48 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

it takes a few days in with desiccant after 24hrs fan dry to get completly dry, if you put what you have into a plastic bag they will get soggy again. you want it so the stems break real easy if you bend them. you can put them in the freezer once completly dry, but in a sealed container w/ desiccant they will last a long time anyway.

--------------------
There's a thin line between sanity and insanity... and I just snorted it.

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
Re: "cracker" dry [Re: John]
    #3338799 - 11/09/04 09:22 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

dont worry about freezing unless youre going to store em for over a year.

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

InvisibleSearch59
Yet anotherhobby for me.

Re: "cracker" dry [Re: Todcasil]
    #3339142 - 11/09/04 11:04 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

If your stuff did't get dry after a few days, you need to BAKE the desiccant(look below), or add more desiccant. One should have MORE desiccant, than material that is to be dried.

Just make one of these, all parts can be found at k-fart

The screen is found in the camping, grilling section, its stainless.
The desiccant can be found in the grocery area, or ask someone for damprid.
And im sure you know where to get tupperware.

To regenerate the desiccant and make it REALLY suck the water out of your material.
BAKE the desiccant at 400degF for 1 hour on a metal bake pan.
Then take the now stiff desiccant and slam it into a plastic garbage bag, double and triple bag it. And go out to a concrete slab, and pund the bag on the concrete, break it all up, even use a hammer to get the pieces to break up. Just hammer the bag, it won't break open.
Try to get the pieces to be powder, dump all bag contents into tupperware, enough so when you put the screen in, the desiccant dosen't touch the screen.
There you go.
Rebake when desiccant seems dead.
I KNOW baking damp-rid at 400degF works.

--------------------
The only beneficiaries of Prohibition were bootleggers(drug makers), crime bosses(drug pushers), and the forces of big government(DEA).
(wheres the benefit for the consumer?)

You gotta check this out.
http://www.di.fm/mp3/chillout96k.pls

Ride the wave of the mellow fractal rainbow!

Edited by Search59 (11/09/04 11:06 PM)

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: "cracker" dry [Re: Search59]
    #3339156 - 11/09/04 11:10 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

HAHA Beat The Fucking Shit Out Of it, I like It Lmao, I like that idea, i want them as dry as possible because i put them in pills and the dryer the better i guess. Good stuff. Gl all and thankx *Search*, ima sure as hell try that. I was wondering, can you do the same with damp-rid in terms of baking?

InvisibleSearch59
Yet anotherhobby for me.

Re: "cracker" dry [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3339278 - 11/09/04 11:47 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I WAS talking about damp-rid when I said bake it.

My last words were " I KNOW FOR A FACT that baking damp-rid at 400degF for 1 hour works AWESOME. (make sure your damp rid cools a bit before you beat the shit out of it.  (cause it will be 400degF when you pull it out)(just take it out, put it in the freezer for 5 mins)(it will melt your garbage bag if you dont cool it first. i wonder how i know that :wink: )

--------------------
The only beneficiaries of Prohibition were bootleggers(drug makers), crime bosses(drug pushers), and the forces of big government(DEA).
(wheres the benefit for the consumer?)

You gotta check this out.
http://www.di.fm/mp3/chillout96k.pls

Ride the wave of the mellow fractal rainbow!

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: "cracker" dry [Re: Search59]
    #3339527 - 11/10/04 01:32 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I have recycled dissicants from food items... I bake them at 350F for 45 min every couple of weeks.

Fan for a day or two, once they are almost cracker, use the desiccant. Fans are a lot faster initially.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Dessicant

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation