Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleStein
Stranger
 User Gallery

Whats his name maybe making plans to run again in 2008...
    #3337595 - 11/09/04 02:20 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

'Fired Up' Kerry Returning to Senate
Aides Say He Wants to Act as Counter to Bush, and Possibly Run in 2008

By Mike Allen
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, November 9, 2004; Page A02

Democrat John F. Kerry plans to use his Senate seat and long lists of supporters to remain a major voice in American politics despite losing the presidential race last Tuesday, and he is assessing the feasibility of trying again in 2008, friends and aides said yesterday.

Kerry will attend a post-election lame-duck Senate session that begins next week and has said he is "fired up" to play a highly visible role, the friends and aides said.

Read the rest at Washington Post...copy and paste not friendly

Edited by Stein (11/09/04 02:21 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
Re: Whats his name is may making plans to run again in 2008... [Re: Stein]
    #3337602 - 11/09/04 02:22 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

click printer friendly and then you get copy paste friendly as well
Link

'Fired Up' Kerry Returning to Senate
Aides Say He Wants to Act as Counter to Bush, and Possibly Run in 2008

By Mike Allen
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, November 9, 2004; Page A02

Democrat John F. Kerry plans to use his Senate seat and long lists of supporters to remain a major voice in American politics despite losing the presidential race last Tuesday, and he is assessing the feasibility of trying again in 2008, friends and aides said yesterday.

Kerry will attend a post-election lame-duck Senate session that begins next week and has said he is "fired up" to play a highly visible role, the friends and aides said.

Aides said Kerry is relishing the prospect of renewed combat with President Bush, fighting such measures as the president's proposal to open the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to oil drilling. Kerry has spent most of the past two years on the campaign trail, meaning that his return to Capitol Hill will be something of a reintroduction to colleagues.

Kerry's plans contrast starkly with the approach taken by former vice president Al Gore, who all but disappeared from the political scene after losing to Bush in the disputed 2000 presidential election.

Kerry fueled talk about a 2008 bid during remarks at a Washington restaurant Saturday night. He provoked a thunderous reaction by reminding about 400 campaign aides and volunteers that Ronald Reagan twice sought the Republican nomination for president before winning it in 1980.

"Sometimes God tests you," Kerry told the crowd at H20, a restaurant on the Potomac waterfront, according to an aide. "I'm a fighter, and I've come back before."

Bob Shrum, Kerry's chief campaign consultant, told reporters during a Democratic panel yesterday that Kerry "will not do what Al Gore did after the last election -- he will not disappear."

"He will be active and vocal," Shrum said. "He has one of the most powerful lists in the Democratic Party and one of the most powerful fundraising bases in the Democratic Party, and I think he intends to use it to speak out."

Several Democrats expressed skepticism about Kerry's plans, saying they believe the party needs a fresh face and must turn a corner. One well-known Democratic operative who worked with the Kerry campaign said opposition to Bush, not excitement about Kerry, was behind the senator's fundraising success. "If he thinks he's going to capitalize on that going forward, he's in for a surprise," said the operative, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Another Democrat involved in Kerry's campaign strategy -- who also spoke on the condition of anonymity, in order to be more candid -- said: "I can't imagine people are going to say, 'It worked pretty well last time. This is what we need next time.' "

Kerry has mostly remained at his Boston home since Election Day and has spent some of that time preparing for his return to the Senate. The friends and aides said he wants to use his new following and credibility to become a major force on legislation that will extend well beyond his previous portfolio of national security issues.

The senator from Massachusetts is also contemplating establishing a political action committee and perhaps a think tank to elevate his role during the jockeying over the definition and leadership of the Democratic Party. Kerry lost to Bush by three percentage points in the popular vote and by 34 electoral votes. The president carried 31 states to 19 for Kerry.

Shrum made his remarks in an appearance at a Christian Science Monitor breakfast with James Carville, chief strategist of Bill Clinton's first presidential campaign, and Stan Greenberg, a Democratic pollster. The session started out as a clinical dissection of what went right for Bush and wrong for Kerry.

But it quickly became a blunt, emotional discussion of the future of the Democratic Party -- a high-decibel preview of countless conversations that will occur as Democrats try to figure out how to retake the White House after winning only twice in the past seven elections.

"I'm not in denial. Reality hit me," Carville said. "Let's take the greatest morality story of all -- we're born again," he added, in a play on words connoting both his view that the party needs a fundamental change, as well as the importance of evangelical Christians to Bush.

"We have to treat the disease, not the symptom," Carville said. "The purpose of a political party is to win elections, and we're not doing that."

Carville said that the party's concern about interest groups had resulted in "litanies, not a narrative."

"The party needs a narrative," he said. adding later that one possibility would to become "an aggressively reform, anti-Washington, anti-business-as-usual party."

Greenberg said that big forces had been at work in the election, meaning that mere tinkering was not the answer for Democrats. He said Bush had cleverly freed himself from the normal standards by which an incumbent is judged.

"In being successful in making the election about security/safety and values," Greenberg said, "they don't say, 'Vote for us because we're making progress.' They say, 'Vote for our worldview.' " Greenberg said that "downscale America, starting with rural voters and cascading with older, blue-collar America, shifted to Bush" in the last 10 days of the race, including some union voters.

Shrum said of the campaign's decision to emphasize a final-week revelation about missing explosives in Iraq: "There wasn't disagreement inside the campaign about that. So if it was a mistake, it was a mistake that we all share responsibility for."

Shrum acknowledged that he had not seen the problems at the time, saying that he believed on Election Day and the night before that Kerry would win. "All the polls appeared to be moving in the right direction," Shrum said. "We thought, 'We're ahead in the battleground states, we'll win in the battleground states.' "

Also yesterday, the Associated Press quoted a party veteran as saying that Howard Dean, who lost the nomination fight to Kerry, is considering a bid to become chairman of the Democratic National Committee.

Staff writer Dan Balz contributed to this report.

--------------------

InvisibleStein
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Whats his name is may making plans to run again in 2008... [Re: blink]
    #3337612 - 11/09/04 02:24 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Wonderful!  Thanks for the tip :thumbup:

InvisibleStein
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Whats his name maybe making plans to run again in 2008... [Re: Stein]
    #3337959 - 11/09/04 03:48 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I figured no one would be backing him anymore since the "anybody but Bush" campaign came to a screaming hault on Nov.2.

OfflineWorf
Lt. Commander

Loc: Final Frontier
    #3338251 - 11/09/04 04:52 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I think grover cleveland was the last president to win after losing an election. I doubt Kerry will run. Watch out for Bill Richardson though.

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
Re: Whats his name maybe making plans to run again in 2008... [Re: Worf]
    #3338283 - 11/09/04 05:02 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

outputrotation said:
I think grover cleveland was the last president to win after losing an election. I doubt Kerry will run. Watch out for Bill Richardson though.

Uh can anyone say Nixon?

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Whats his name maybe making plans to run again in 2008... [Re: d33p]
    #3338522 - 11/09/04 06:10 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

"Sometimes god tests you" What a fucking asshole. He just made monkeys out of everybody who supported him because he was LESS evangelical than Bush. Somebody get me my cluebat.

--------------------

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
Re: Whats his name maybe making plans to run again in 2008... [Re: Worf]
    #3340087 - 11/10/04 03:18 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

is he the guy that supports legalization?

--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

OfflineAaronEvil
The GuitarVillain
Male

Loc: California
Re: Whats his name maybe making plans to run again in 2008... [Re: zappaisgod]
    #3340125 - 11/10/04 03:33 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
"Sometimes god tests you" What a fucking asshole. He just made monkeys out of everybody who supported him because he was LESS evangelical than Bush. Somebody get me my cluebat.

I agree with you completely. I have the view that most other countries have in that Religion doesnt belong in politics, and I refuse to vote for someone who thinks it does.

--------------------

There is not a lot of difference between a fox hole and a grave; but knowing that you dug your ditch and climbed in anyway.

OfflineDMTelepath
Nut

Loc: States of America
Re: Whats his name maybe making plans to run again in 2008... [Re: Tao]
    #3340130 - 11/10/04 03:35 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Nader is the guy said to support legalization or help end the war on drugs (sorry, i'm no good with politics, and i've just heard a few things about Nader here and there). Never heard of Bill Richardson. What's up with him?

--------------------
Me, Myself, and GOD

OfflineAaronEvil
The GuitarVillain
Male

#3340140 - 11/10/04 03:38 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I would love to see Bill Maher run as the Libertarian candidate.

--------------------

There is not a lot of difference between a fox hole and a grave; but knowing that you dug your ditch and climbed in anyway.

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Re: Whats his name maybe making plans to run again in 2008... [Re: DMTelepath]
    #3340163 - 11/10/04 04:03 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

whoops, im thinking of gary johnson, the former governor of new mexico, bill richardson is the current one

--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Re: Whats his name maybe making plans to run again in 2008... [Re: AaronEvil]
    #3340164 - 11/10/04 04:03 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

bill maher is not a libertarian.

--------------------

OfflineAaronEvil
The GuitarVillain
Male

#3340186 - 11/10/04 04:33 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

TaoTeChing said:
bill maher is not a libertarian.

Except he is. He even states that he is registered as Libertarian, that makes him Libertarian.

--------------------

InvisibleOneforthemasses
Like My Tits?

Loc: Eatin' at the "Y"
    #3340246 - 11/10/04 05:15 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Great, he'll have an opportunity to lose a second time. Nice.

--------------------
Like my tits?

OfflineTao
Village Genius

#3340267 - 11/10/04 05:24 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

don't be ridiculous, simply calling himself a libertarian doesn not make him one. its like people who say "I'm socially liberal and fiscally conservative" but then support welfare programs. call a spade a spade.

http://dir.salon.com/ent/tv/feature/2001/08/01/maher/index.html

or just google bill maher and libertarian and see what the majority of sites say. he calls himself libertarian sometimes so that he is not affiliated with either major political party so that he can lampoon them both, but his stances do not match up to it. this is fine by me, i like a lot of maher's stances, but don't fool yourself thinking he's a libertarian. legalized prostitution and drugs do not a libertarian make. heck he supported nader, loves him in fact.

--------------------

OfflineAaronEvil
The GuitarVillain
Male

#3340321 - 11/10/04 05:44 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

You can be a Republican and not agree with the party on certain issues, you can be a Democrat and disagree with the party on certain issues. Why is it wrong to be a Libertarian and disagree with the party on certain issues? Most candidates running differ from the party at least a little bit; however, sometimes we dont see it until the are elected. I read the article you posted, a very nice informative read, and his views are pretty close to the Libertarian views on most of the issues. His just differ in some areas of the issue. Its like the difference between completely legal abortion, and 3rd trimester abortion. You agree to an extent. But I am not a Libertarian, so I guess I wouldnt know as well as someone who is if Bill Maher is a real Libertarian or not. Either way, I would vote for him if he ran under any party.

--------------------

OfflineTao
Village Genius

#3340354 - 11/10/04 06:07 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

he does not 'differ slightly'.

here read this from the libertrian party's own website.

http://www.lp.org/lpnews/0109/maher.html

game set match.

--------------------

OfflineAaronEvil
The GuitarVillain
Male

#3340361 - 11/10/04 06:12 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Like I said, I wouldnt know as well as the Libertarian party would. Either way, if he runs he has at least 1 vote, aside from his own.

--------------------

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
    #3340386 - 11/10/04 06:34 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

John Kerry was born to be President. You can't say that about too many candidates. I believe the next Democratic primaries will be tight between John Kerry and Hillary Clinton - however, Kerry will win the primaries because people will see Hillary Clinton has yet another expansion of the original Clinton Administration - which already once tried to expand itself with Al Gore. Mark my words, it will happen - John Kerry will be President of the United States.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order