Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePhish420
Stranger
How much would you have to take to die?
    #3337435 - 11/09/04 01:36 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I am only going to eat about 3.5 grams. I realize that this is probably not enough to overdose, but how much would you have to take in order to kill yourself?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblekoppie
astral projectile
Male

Loc: cloud hidden
Re: How much would you have to take to die? [Re: Phish420] * 1
    #3337459 - 11/09/04 01:41 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Don't kill yourself with shrooms. There are more reliable ways.

However, if you want to stay alive, you'd better read the FAQ. :rolleyes:

Invisiblereflectedlight
in town untilthe blood flows
 User Gallery

Loc: aether
Re: How much would you have to take to die? [Re: Phish420]
    #3337471 - 11/09/04 01:46 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Dont quote me, I think you have to eat your body weight x 2 or something ridiculous like that.

--------------------
at this point i think we can be relatively certain seperation exists as a fallacy of finite perception, and the only barrier to infinite creativity is a preimposed notion of certainty and artificial conditioning. nothing is without origin

OfflinePhish420
Stranger
Re: How much would you have to take to die? [Re: koppie]
    #3337472 - 11/09/04 01:47 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! i dont want to kill myself. i just want to know how much i can take without killing myself!!!!

OfflineHarbinger
The Power of theRiff Compels Me

Loc: Far Away
    #3337487 - 11/09/04 01:52 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I don't know exactly, but its alot. Way more than you could even stomach.

--------------------
Click the pic to hear some songs I've recorded.

:rockon:

OfflinePhish420
Stranger
Re: How much would you have to take to die? [Re: Harbinger]
    #3337501 - 11/09/04 01:57 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Has anyone ever died while taking mushrooms?

Offlineguri
Master of theimprobablitydrive

Loc: PNWish.
    #3337506 - 11/09/04 01:58 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

people have died while taking mushrooms, but not because of the mushrooms themselves.

like thier actions killed them but not the mushrooms. that make sense?

--------------------
"If you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, then go home and burn all your records, all your tapes, and all your CDs because every one of those artists who have made brilliant music and enhanced your lives? The Beatles were so fucking high, they let Ringo sing a few songs." --Bill Hicks

OfflinePhish420
Stranger
Re: How much would you have to take to die? [Re: guri]
    #3337510 - 11/09/04 02:00 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

their actions because they did something that bugged them out?

Invisiblekoppie
astral projectile
Male

Loc: cloud hidden
    #3337540 - 11/09/04 02:09 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Sorry, that was a bit of a flippant answer. It doesn't seem to be directly in the FAQ, but: The FAQ gives a rough estimate of 13g pure psilocybin as deadly. Dry mushrooms contain about 4mg/gram psylocibin. (form erowid) so you'd have to eat 3250 g or about 7 lbs of shrooms to be in real danger.

Adding a nice safety margin, because it's a rough estimate based on mice and not on humans, I'd say that one lbs of dried shrooms would still be safe, although you probably would never take more than 12 grams. Terence McKenna recommends 5 grams as a 'heroic' dose, I have never taken more than 3 grams (with spectacular results), but I hope to do 5 grams one day.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Loc: That Way
    #3337588 - 11/09/04 02:19 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

i was reading one time about a test they did with rats and after all the math and all that junk the LD50 for a 130 pound person was right around 4 pounds. i dont know if that was wet or dry or what but still i dont think anybody could willingly eat enough mushrooms to kill themself.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

OfflineHarbinger
The Power of theRiff Compels Me

Loc: Far Away
    #3337605 - 11/09/04 02:23 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

a pound of mushrooms, I can't even imagine what that would be like.

--------------------
Click the pic to hear some songs I've recorded.

:rockon:

OfflineDerelictus
Stranger
    #3337677 - 11/09/04 02:38 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I know guy who had cat whose ate a l-o-t of mushrooms and didn't die. but maybe cat gets high on catnip makes tolerance? Don't know, try catnip with mushrooms take bad effects away?

OfflinePhish420
Stranger
Re: How much would you have to take to die? [Re: Harbinger]
    #3337678 - 11/09/04 02:39 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

could you die if something real weird happened and you were shocked by all of it?

--------------------
There was a band playing in my head and I fel like getting HIGH.......
Neil Young

Offlinethenewuser
LSA Guy :-)

#3337703 - 11/09/04 02:45 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Well if it's your 1st time, and you have a weak heart, and you take a high dose, like 7g+, and you paniced with no sitters to help you, then I can see it. However shrooms are amazingly safe. Awesome stuff.

--------------------
Please read my DXM & LSA Guides, here.

If your like MMORPG's, then click here and here!

Edited by thenewuser (11/09/04 02:45 PM)

OfflineBonez420
8=======8

Loc: out of my element
    #3337770 - 11/09/04 03:00 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

koppie said:
...so you'd have to eat 3250 g or about 7 lbs of shrooms to be in real danger.

You know that would be at least a level 3, possibly level 4 trip!  :wink:

And no, I'm not really that ignorant. :smile: I don't think I could even eat 7 pounds of any type of normal food, much less psychedelic mushrooms.

--------------------
"Many times I've lied - Many times I've listened,
Many times I've wondered how much there is to know."
-Led Zeppelin (Over the Hills and Far Away)

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#3337856 - 11/09/04 03:18 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

It doesn't seem to be directly in the FAQ, but: The FAQ gives a rough estimate of 13g pure psilocybin as deadly. Dry mushrooms contain about 4mg/gram psylocibin. (form erowid) so you'd have to eat 3250 g or about 7 lbs of shrooms to be in real danger.

This is where many people take a wrong turn.
Just because something is way below a stated lethal dose does not nearly mean it is "safe".

I recall from the top of my head that some source stated the "maximum safe dose" of psilocybin to be 150mg.
That would be 200 grams fresh or littler over 2/3 ounce (20gr) dried cubies of average potency.
But where does that estimate come from? Lethality is unlikely, but neurological changes or epileptic seizures come to mind.

If you have a very intense trip on much mushrooms you can be strongly remembered of it on a near daily basis: It changes you. This could be percieved as neurological alterations.
People who take a "thumbprint" of LSD (say 12.000 micrograms or 100 good blotters at once) report to get blasted "out of existance" and becoming literally a "new person" upon re-assembly and the period after that. This can be beneficial or detrimental, but you see permanent change by towering doses repeated by such diverse sources that there might be a neurological change underlying it.

The consensus has it that "normal doses" of mushrooms are safe to most people, even though they can trigger intense anxiety states during the effects and beyond if the person cannot cope with what is dished out. "Normal doses" would be 0.5-5gr dried mushrooms in most people.

Bottom line: People think that trouble starts with lethal doses. The reality is that that is the summit of adverse effects, but that almost any chemical has long-term detrimental effects far below the lethal dose.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

OfflineJudas
taxidermist

Loc: Iowa
Re: How much would you have to take to die? [Re: Asante]
    #3337874 - 11/09/04 03:26 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Wiccan I see that you mentioned seizures....I have personnaly witnessed this and it is truly the most scary thing I have ever been through. Me and 2 close friends split an ounce of potent mushrooms, it was going great until "c" started getting a faraway look in her eye, then proceeded to fall onto the front lawn of the apartment complex and shake violently with her tongue hanging out , I brought her inside and she was laughing then crying and staring at a pillow well anyways it was terrible and she started seizuring again so we went to the E.R. ....just a word to the wise..mushrooms CAN kill ou and should be treated with the utmost caution and respect.

--------------------
"Better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not".
Phlogiston Verdigris

InvisibleSupernova
Stranger
Male
    #3337971 - 11/09/04 03:50 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

you gotta take into account the individual. If you got a bad heart and start having a bad trip on just a couple grams, then you may die of a heart attack.

InvisibleShroomOmatic
Ethno Apprentice
Male User Gallery
Loc: Sailing the Seas of Chees...
Re: How much would you have to take to die? [Re: Supernova]
    #3337983 - 11/09/04 03:52 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Depends on the person. But i have a friend who takes 14 grams "dried" a trip and hes only 5'1. Lol. Anyway just becareful take the 3 grams and wait about 90-120 min and if u want more take it.

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: How much would you have to take to die? [Re: Judas]
    #3338070 - 11/09/04 04:11 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

RESPECT = KEY

Many people call some drugs "harmless" to excuse their complete lack of responsible use. Many others genuinely think there is no harm.

To respect the power of the shroom includes the sense that you can severely hurt yourself with it. Consider mushrooms as a loaded rifle with a chambered round and a sensitive trigger.
Responsible use, respect for it's potential for harm, allows for great afternoons of target practice. Irresponsible or unsuitable use can turn a great afternoon into a nightmare.
Some people can't handle and should not have access to rifles, but most can handle them without much risk... if they respect it's potential for harm.

Seizures.. they happen, right here @ the Shroomery, usually on the higher doses.
We all have a "convulsive treshold" that varies with the moment. Others have chronically low ones and are called "epileptics"
Some chemicals can lower it or highten it. Psychedelics belong to the former. It can lower an already low convulsive treshold into triggering seizures.

LSD therapist Stanislav Grof says that Epileptics should only be given LSD if a well-equipped pharmacy is available to deal with seizures.

Psychedelics should be respected, and people should realize that some even perfectly normal folks should never use major psychedelics.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order