Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineleegol_eyes
dazed n'confused
Super Casing Mix
    #3334714 - 11/08/04 08:54 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I was planning on seeing how well a casing would do if it were made up of (% by volume) 5%coco coir/45%vermiculite/ 10%straw/ 20% dried dung/20% high mountain compost/ and maybe a little limestone. The theory here is more nutrients=higher/better yields. Does this sound like it would work great to anyone else?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineYompoon
shroomer

Re: Super Casing Mix [Re: leegol_eyes]
    #3334819 - 11/08/04 09:16 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

make it an experiments between all differnt kinds mixed together as a casing mix

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
Re: Super Casing Mix [Re: Yompoon]
    #3335105 - 11/08/04 10:07 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

no

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

Offlineintrigue
MMMM hard trance
 User Gallery
Re: Super Casing Mix [Re: derx]
    #3336531 - 11/09/04 09:12 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

whats high mountain compost? and are u going to use this as This substrate?

Invisibledobinky
infoseeker
 User Gallery
Loc: Wiki, Kentucky
    #3336545 - 11/09/04 09:15 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

this is for casing or spawn?

casing should be nute free or the myc will eat it up.

this could be good for spawn.

--------------------
Today?s Pig is Tomorrow?s Bacon

Offlineleegol_eyes
dazed n'confused
Re: Super Casing Mix [Re: dobinky]
    #3336601 - 11/09/04 09:31 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

"whats high mountain compost? and are u going to use this as This substrate?"
High mountain compost is an organic compost offered by a company that sponsors this site(or at least used to). Yes my plan was to mix all of these as my casing. I would have a bottom layer of vermiculite, and a top layer of verm and maybe straw(something non-nutritious to prevent overlay) any suggestions? But in between these two layers would be a nice thick layer of the verm/compost/dung/straw/and coir. It would be spawned from colonized pf jars. This would take up most of a large cooler as I would construct a customized container out of cardboard and garbage bags for my casing that will allow for the largest possible volume(fit the inside of the cooler snuggly. Besises the massive casing all that would be in the cooler would be a homemade radiant water heater, a small flour. light, and a patch of saturated perlite with fresh air being pumped through it into the chamber by an aquarium pump. Anyone see any problems with this plan?

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
    #3336605 - 11/09/04 09:33 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Sounds like an excellent idea to me.

Be sure and let us know how it goes.

InvisibleLifenergy
Yo Mama

#3336610 - 11/09/04 09:34 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

More nutrients in your substrate = higher/better yields
Nutrients in your casing layer = Contamination

--------------------
Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see.

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: Super Casing Mix [Re: Lifenergy]
    #3336626 - 11/09/04 09:39 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Lifenergy said:
More nutrients in your substrate = higher/better yields
Nutrients in your casing layer = Contamination

Can't be said any better.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

Offlineleegol_eyes
dazed n'confused
    #3336629 - 11/09/04 09:39 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

"Nutes in casing layer = contamintation"
How come? SO are you saying its not possible to have a dung/straw casing? Or a compost casing because it has nutrients? I thought I have heard of many people using these nutritious substrates in there casing with no problems. They are let colonize for several day and then fruited. But u think I'll get contams huh?

Edited by leegol_eyes (11/09/04 09:43 AM)

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #3336644 - 11/09/04 09:44 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

leegol_eyes said:
How come?

Someone needs to read the faq a little more....
casing is there to provide moisture....not food....:rolleyes:

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

InvisibleLifenergy
Yo Mama

Re: Super Casing Mix [Re: george castanza]
    #3336656 - 11/09/04 09:48 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I'm not saying it isn't possible. I'm just saying that by using nutritive substances in your casing layer you are really increasing the risk of your casing getting contaminated, and your losing the entire thing. I'm not saying don't experiment. I"m just letting you know the risk involved. :smile:

--------------------
Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see.

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
    #3336675 - 11/09/04 09:53 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah.. it's like colonizing BRF in the wide open instead of jars. Spawns have nutes. cover it up with casing material for water delivery.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3336693 - 11/09/04 09:57 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

leegol_eyes said:
How come? SO are you saying its not possible to have a dung/straw casing? Or a compost casing because it has nutrients? I thought I have heard of many people using these nutritious substrates in there casing with no problems. They are let colonize for several day and then fruited. But u think I'll get contams huh?

What you are reading is people casing there dung/straw/manure with non nutrious things..they now have a dung/straw casing. The words before the word casing is not whats in the casing mix but whats in the substrate..if you have a straw/verm/dung casing then its the substrate..if you just make ths substrate compost spawned with rye and put coco coir and verm on top youll have a compost casing and it will give you wonderful yeilds. Head back in and read the FAQ's a bit more carfully and look around at some bulk stuff in the advanced cult FAQs.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlineleegol_eyes
dazed n'confused
Re: Super Casing Mix [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3337256 - 11/09/04 12:51 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

OK...i planned on using the oven pastuerization tek (http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23705) "It is a great way for the pasteurization of straw/compost/dung." Except all of my ingredients (except the colized cake of course) would be sterilized this way. So whats the difference?
Quote:

"What you are reading is people casing there dung/straw/manure with non nutrious things..they now have a dung/straw casing. The words before the word casing is not whats in the casing mix but whats in the substrate..if you have a straw/verm/dung casing then its the substrate.."

In the tek i just mentioned for pasturization it says "Allow to cool for about 6-10 hours, or however long it takes for your bag to cool down. Once it is cool, you are able to get back to work and spawn with grain or grinded BRF cakes!" And this is exactly what i would do. Another bulk tek (http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23534) reads "Spawning bulk sub

The cooled dung/straw is mixed with the bag of grain spawn and put into the fruiting container. Fruiting container is a big cardboard box a little bigger than 2? square and about 8 inches deep, lined with several layers of plastic bags. The extra dung from the pillowcase is mixed with the remaining grain spawn and layered about ? inch deep on top. The dung top layer helps to protect the straw from contams and moisture loss. Often large chunks of casing are removed with fruits, exposing the substrate below. With straw becoming exposed, this can be a bigger problem than if dung gets exposed.A perforated plastic sheet is laid over the box for colonization, as shown below. The mixture colonizes quickly due to the dung and the large amount of spawn. A casing of 25% verm and 75% coco coir (by volume) is prepared as follows. The verm is baked in an over for 30 minutes at 200 ish. The coir is hydrated in a bowl with boiling hot water. The two are mixed, a dash of lime is added to bring the pH to about 7.8 and the mixture is hydrated to field capacity. The casing mixture colonizes rapidly as is the norm with coir, but retains moisture much better than coir alone. The same perforated plastic from spawn run is used to cover the box during casing run.
"...So this tek basically did the same thing i was gonna do. So whats difference between that and me using grain spawn to spawn my bulk substrate(pasturized of course), allowing it to colonize, and then casing it like they did. Did the person who wrote that tek just get lucky or what? I agree that it does seem very much like letting a jar colonize in open air, which would surely contam, but obviously that didnt happen in this case...any thoughts?

OfflineSilven
Male

Loc: El Mexicano
    #3337338 - 11/09/04 01:07 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

leegol_eyes wrote:
Quote:

The verm is baked in an over for 30 minutes at 200 ish. The coir is hydrated in a bowl with boiling hot water. The two are mixed, a dash of lime is added to bring the pH to about 7.8 and the mixture is hydrated to field capacity. The casing mixture colonizes rapidly as is the norm with coir, but retains moisture much better than coir alone.

This is your casing mixture.

leegol_eyes wrote:
Quote:

The cooled dung/straw is mixed with the bag of grain spawn and put into the fruiting container. Fruiting container is a big cardboard box a little bigger than 2? square and about 8 inches deep, lined with several layers of plastic bags. The extra dung from the pillowcase is mixed with the remaining grain spawn and layered about ? inch deep on top. The dung top layer helps to protect the straw from contams and moisture loss. Often large chunks of casing are removed with fruits, exposing the substrate below. With straw becoming exposed, this can be a bigger problem than if dung gets exposed.A perforated plastic sheet is laid over the box for colonization, as shown below. The mixture colonizes quickly due to the dung and the large amount of spawn.

Minus the perforated plastic sheet, this is your substrate material. The dung and additional grain substrate that is added 1/2" deep across the top helps prevent the straw from being open to contams after you are picking your first flush. Straw contams FAST, so the last bit of your substrate layer makes sense to be dung, this is just basically an added defense layer.

The problem with what you were talking about in the beginning of the thread is that you were using substrate to case substrate, rather than verm/coir. You were talking about using straw/dung/coir/verm all as the casing material is how I took it. You can not do that unless you want to grow contams instead of mushrooms. Exposing that much contam nutricious substrate to open air is a very bad idea, hence the non-nutricious moist casing layer of verm/coir.

--------------------
What do you bring to the table?

Offlineleegol_eyes
dazed n'confused
Re: Super Casing Mix [Re: Silven]
    #3337382 - 11/09/04 01:23 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

yeh i was thinking the casing was the whole thing but now i see what ur saying. So id have my substrate layer that consists of pasturized dung/compost/straw(/and maybe a little verm to hold in more moisture?) and spawned with grain, cover and let colonize, and then case with verm and coir, let colonize, and then fruit. Does it sound like a sound idea?

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
    #3337420 - 11/09/04 01:32 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

yes

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

OfflineSilven
Male

Loc: El Mexicano
    #3337428 - 11/09/04 01:34 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Eureka!  You got it man :smile:

--------------------
What do you bring to the table?

Offlinecall_me_kido
Philosopher
 User Gallery

Loc: In your dreams
Re: Super Casing Mix [Re: Silven]
    #3337483 - 11/09/04 01:50 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Voici un superbro hero le fantastique.

--------------------
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
- Albert Einstein (1875-1955)

"A is A" -Aristotle

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate