Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
A machination ofthe Gods

Loc: The womb of chaos.
Look-a-like left wrong print?
    #3336564 - 11/09/04 11:20 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

This post is regarding Psilocybe semilanceata.

So I gathered up some mushrooms out of the field the other day. Sepertated around 23 or so stems from caps and lined them up. One print did turn out to be extremely different this time.
Although the specimen itself looked like and was found with all the rest of them, it left a very bright brown/dusty color. The species under investigation here is Psilocybe Semilanceata.

I've circled the seemingly bady in red up there. As well I've already done away with the mushroom that left it. All the other prints turned basically the same as ones I've taken earlier in the season exept for some that are very much darker.

I just thought it were strange how that happened, and am glad I took sporeprints of all of them.

Are spore-prints that turn out that dark bad? I mean a couple of those turned out dark dark. Whereas others it seems didn't have very many spores to drop at all. Which I know is a sign that they have already dropped most of them before they were picked.

Even, though that was most likely the last time I go out looking for them this season. Yet will still purchase them if possible, also I feel that this will allow me to have a less-static experience.

Awaken Within!

Edited by darkstar122982 (11/09/04 11:26 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Trusted Identifier
Re: Look-a-like left wrong print? [Re: darkstar122982]
    #3337279 - 11/09/04 02:54 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

It does seem like the one circled came from a different species. IMO, scanning spore prints and viewing them with a monitor can be misleading, depending on a lot of things. Color settings monitors or video cards could cause confusion for example.

The thickness and moisture content of the spore print has to do with the color also. The thicker the print, the darker it appears. Usually young specimens, dried up specimens, or very old specimens will drop less spores. A way to get a thicker print would be adding a drop or two of water to the caps and covering them with a cup or container. When they are covered, wind wont blow them around and they will stay moist longer.

If you have any doubt at all about the spore print color or identity of a species, it should not be consumed. It really is a smart idea to print them all, as you did.

Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification