Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSilverwolf
sandtrout
 User Gallery

Loc: Darkover
Cubensis problem more help please
    #3333135 - 11/08/04 11:49 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I have now harvested my first growbag crop, and have re-cleansed the bag and re-hydrated (and covered) the box. My first crop were late to harvest (poor advice from retailer, although I myself was not aware that cultivators not wanting spores usually harvest before the veil breaks), and show considerable signs of a fine white feathery mold/fungal infection on the gills -the caps are mostly all black-, there was also a furry whiteness to the stems. What is this? Is it harmfull? Will it affect the potency and/or toxicity ? How can I avoid it next time? Anyone please? Thanks guys. :pimpslap:

--------------------
"Odrade read the word silently and then aloud.
"Arafel."
She knew this word.Reverend Mothers of the tyrants time had impressed it into the Bene Gesserit consciousness,tracing it's roots to the most ancient sources.
"Arafel:the cloud darkness at the end of the universe.""

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Re: Cubensis problem more help please [Re: Silverwolf]
    #3333166 - 11/08/04 12:01 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Furryness on the stems is normal.

The caps are black from spores.

Not sure on your "fungal infection of the gills", but I'm betting whatever you're seeing is normal.

I'd say you're golden!

OfflineSilverwolf
sandtrout
 User Gallery

Re: Cubensis problem more help please [Re: discman1]
    #3333174 - 11/08/04 12:04 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Those pictured were grown to maturity how? Please

--------------------
"Arafel."
She knew this word.Reverend Mothers of the tyrants time had impressed it into the Bene Gesserit consciousness,tracing it's roots to the most ancient sources.

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
    #3333180 - 11/08/04 12:10 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Just a BRF cake.... 2nd flush, Ecuador. That's all that cake gave me. Perlite PMP, fanned every 4 hours.. standard stuff.

37g wet, lol.

Offlinecall_me_kido
Philosopher
 User Gallery

Loc: In your dreams
Re: Cubensis problem more help please [Re: discman1]
    #3333187 - 11/08/04 12:13 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Sounds like you ordered a kit of some sort and didnt read much on what youre doing. Check out some pictures of harvested crops here, Im sure they are in your specs.

To be honest Im not that big on kits the more I see posts like this. It gets me angry when some kid who left his exposed kit out on the window sill for three days of "Sunlight" asks us why his 'doityourself' kit from who knows where isnt growing tons of mushrooms. Its so easy for someone with no experience to get an 'idiotproof' mushroom growth system and fail miserably out of complete incompetance of mycology.

Mycosupply and others sponsered by the shroomery provide an awsome service for those of us who are experienced in the growth of mushrooms and would like things to AID us in the process. They are not the companies Im talking about.

Sending out a box full of myceilium to any kid with a credit card is irresponsible. There are lots of toxic contaminants which thrive in the very same conditions we are providing for our grows.

Im done venting I guess. But I seriously saw a post today that asked if the "white stuff" growing in the kit he got was normal, because it didnt look "mushroom related".

Thats like asking if a leg is "Human related".

I dont think I would take up being a surgeon without learning a thing or two about surgery.

Catch my drift?

Kido

--------------------
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
- Albert Einstein (1875-1955)

"A is A" -Aristotle

OfflineSilverwolf
sandtrout
 User Gallery

Re: Cubensis problem more help please [Re: call_me_kido]
    #3333252 - 11/08/04 12:29 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

You can be ignorant of something but not "incompetent" of it! Being a busy guy I don't have time to devote myself wholely to mycology, which is why I do most of work outside. The kit seems to work, I wish merely to maximise it's efficency at producing psilocybin. My original advice was contradictory, I have now informed the retailer about what has been said on this forum.

--------------------
"Arafel."

OfflineSilven
Male

Loc: El Mexicano
    #3333310 - 11/08/04 12:41 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yea I'm not big on kits either.

Silverwolf, if you have any spare time you should invest in the equipment to build a Poor Mans Pod, buy a few 1/2 pint jars and fix yourself up with some PF-Tek jars. :thumbup:

If you have a pressure cooker, common sense, and confidence in your ability of sterility you could skip right on to grain substrates and maximize your yield, rather than the PF-Tek (which will give you a good amount of mushrooms).

It doesn't take near as much time as I think you might be thinking.  Maybe 30 minutes a day if you're very active in it.  I only spend about 15 minutes total a day taking care of my tubs unless a contam or something comes up, or it's a substrate prep day in my kitchen. :smile:

Not only will you save money, but you could potentially create yourself an unending stream of mushrooms.

- Silven

--------------------
What do you bring to the table?

Offlinecall_me_kido
Philosopher
 User Gallery

Loc: In your dreams
Re: Cubensis problem more help please [Re: Silven]
    #3333379 - 11/08/04 01:01 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Silverwolf, let me just clarify I wasnt calling you incompetant. This just reminded me of the post I read earlier. Those kits cause more problems for people then anything. It was just an on-topic thread, not an oppourtunity to flame you. Hope you didnt take it that way.

Kido

--------------------
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
- Albert Einstein (1875-1955)

"A is A" -Aristotle

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Cubensis problem more help please [Re: call_me_kido]
    #3333488 - 11/08/04 01:37 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah I agree, if you're not going to give it any time of day then don't waste your time. but gl in the future and i hope you devote just a bit of your time, mycology is fascinating

OfflineSilverwolf
sandtrout
 User Gallery

Re: Cubensis problem more help please [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3333933 - 11/08/04 05:43 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Don't worry I don't burst into flames easy.
I've heard some off-putting things about airbourne contamination, do you guys use air-purifiers and masks?

--------------------
"Arafel."

OfflineSilverwolf
sandtrout
 User Gallery

#3335978 - 11/09/04 03:23 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I beg your indulgence to answer more novice questions (and I do feel undergunned on this forum), however we all have to learn so here goes. The instructions on the growbag (which recommends "Dutch King" boxes), already more reliable than the advice from the retailer -although I can tell already that 0.5l, in the bottom of the bag, seems too much for reasonable hydration-, recommends "the removal of all mushroom matter from the surface". Would you suggest the removal of the mass with a sharp knife at surface level, "pricking out" the mushroom body or some other approach? Please.

--------------------
"Arafel."

Edited by Silverwolf (11/09/04 03:25 AM)

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #3335993 - 11/09/04 03:43 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Picking is the best way to harvest your crop, Cutting them with a knife will leave part of the mushroom to sit and rot for awhile, bad thing to do to your casing. When pick them its a good idea to wear a latex glove of some sort. Grab the mushroom at the base of it and pull with a twisting motion. Clear off all aborts also to prevent them from rotting, they can be anywhere on the cake, underneath also. To rehydrate you can soak it in a 1:10 H2O2/H2O solution in a fridge for about 24 hrs. Anyother questions???

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

OfflineSilverwolf
sandtrout
 User Gallery

Re: Cubensis problem more help please [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #3335998 - 11/09/04 03:49 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Uh huh. I read in the faq that shrooms with mold growth are not safe to eat. What constitutes mold growth (please see earlier posts where I mention a fine white feathery growth)?

--------------------
"Arafel."

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
    #3336000 - 11/09/04 03:54 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

You said it's white, right? post a pic. I think it's just myc growing. It happens sometimes.

I also think kits are fairly wasteful. It might be better buying some shrooms by pounds if you can. I think it'd be cheaper if all you want from them is joy of tripping.

Also, if you use kits, it's really hard to find reliable straight answers to your problems. This isn't because people don't know about mushrooms, this is mostly because kits are specifically designed for following very specific steps.

If you really don't enjoy growing(I think grow kits give you tons of reasons why you wouldn't like them, i.e. cost, problems finding reliable help, yield, etc...), this hobby isn't for you. Your choice, though. I think I speak for everyone when I say that growing with jars, you really fall in love with this hobby fast.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #3336001 - 11/09/04 03:55 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

The fine white feathery growth you see is called mycellium. It seems you have alot of research to do. There is a contamination section on the shroomery. You should familiarize yourself with this. There is a type of contamination that someone without much experience would mistake for mycellium. Its called cobweb. You can usually tell if your casing is contaminated. Trich is the most common in my experience.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

OfflineSilverwolf
sandtrout
 User Gallery

Re: Cubensis problem more help please [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #3336013 - 11/09/04 04:11 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks guys, its interesting that you say kits vary in their procedures, could explian the contradictory advice!

--------------------
"Arafel."

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3336037 - 11/09/04 04:42 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Silverwolf said:
could explian the contradictory advice!

No.

All advice is different from different vendors and not all of it is correct and contradicts what you should actually do. What you SHOULD do is read the FAQs on here and completly ignore and recomendations from who sells you the kit just in case they are incorrect. They often wil be correct or at least partially so but if you learn the correct way to do things you don't need to follow kits instructions. Or you can post what your going to do according to what the instructions tell you and then any problems can be corrected. Details can't be given on such a wide subject as "How do all the people who sell kits mess up the instructions and what should be changed".

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: Cubensis problem more help please [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3336053 - 11/09/04 04:59 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

FAQs here are great for general grow, and I agree that FAQs help immensely.  But for kit grows, you really have to read a lot to be able to justify a step in the instruction.  Deviation from instruction is always a risk and plays hardball with comfort levels(I think this is very very important).  If he can't afford 30min to 1 hr a day to take care of mushies, I really don't think hours and hours reading FAQs would be on the list of agendas.

The contradictions is more of a preferrence difference IMO.  Vendors usually don't spend a lot of time explaining in depth about why they are preferred though, which could lead to misunderstandings.  Some kits are designed to specific route to successful grow.  But they are usually not efficient and deviation from it requires changes(sometimes major) in the setup.

This(not being able to find reliable help fast) is one of 2 major reasons why I have and will always recommend against kits.

Don't forget.  A good picture is worth thousand words. :wink:

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cubensis problem more help please [Re: Sam1912]
    #3336088 - 11/09/04 05:55 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I guess...its just people buy kits and they give yeilds as if an experienced person were to grow it. Then people end up dissapointed. I really think if you want to not end up dissapointed you need to go through BASIC cultivation FAQ's which wont take that long to read the lighting you need..the pinning triggers (10 degree temp drop, fresh air, and light)..how important humdity is and a few basic ways of creating it. Also what casing materials to use if the kit doesnt come with one (I have seen kit instructions instructing to use soil as a casing soil, this is the king of misinfo Im talking about) or if it requires you to apply it, a better one can be found easily. Basic cultivation FAQ's are fairly small and a few sections could be easily skipped if you have a kit and the care could be covered reading in a few hours and would greatly improve yeilds in most casings most of the time.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineSilverwolf
sandtrout
 User Gallery

Re: Cubensis problem more help please [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3336568 - 11/09/04 09:21 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Infact the size of crop was excellent, I'm just concerned about the state of the mushrooms (see contam. forum). This is a larder (or freezer) stocking for me guys -one day when I do have time, and an on-site enthusiatic friend, for instance- I may get round to more detailed study. I'm using an energy efficient broad spectrum Bio-light on the bag and box and will probably decrease the water volume in the bag for my next attempt -the bag was awash well after the veils had broken-.
I'm quite interested in introducing a cyanascens strain into the wild here in Britain. But remember guys spores, syringes, and the other accouterments of home mycology, are in no way widely available here in mainland Britain. My retailer does not stock spore prints, syringes or anything else!

--------------------
"Arafel."

Edited by Silverwolf (11/09/04 09:22 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules