Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinerobbster
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Chicago, IL
Alternative to fanning?
    #3335977 - 11/09/04 03:22 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Is there any other method of providing fresh air to my cakes?

There are a couple days a week that i cant fan them for nearly 12 hours.

--------------------
- Robb

"This is the trip, this is the best part."
-Jim Morrison

Bio:
:cig: :stash: :beer: :mushroom2: :doggystyle:

First Grow Log

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Alternative to fanning? [Re: robbster]
    #3335983 - 11/09/04 03:31 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Have you looked into making a Poor Mans Pod??

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: Alternative to fanning? [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #3335999 - 11/09/04 03:50 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

link to PMP. It takes care of humidity and gas exchange. In other words, misting and fanning becomes automated.

Poormans Pod(PMP) by Magash

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Re: Alternative to fanning? [Re: Sam1912]
    #3336003 - 11/09/04 03:57 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I think we need to stop giving them links eveytime a question is asked. People need to learn how to use the search function and do some research on their own. I know its nice to do and i do it sometimes too. But the more we do it the lazier they get.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3336006 - 11/09/04 04:03 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I still have a hard time with searching for some specific info here.  Search function is fairly limited because you can't use conjunctions like and/or/except and such...  And with so many posts, it's really hard when you are starting off.

I remember when I started, it was so much better with links.  That never stopped me from learning the search function over next couple of weeks.  I think when you start off, a little help definitely cuts down on sorting through the enormous amount of required reading.  Come on now...  they really really have a lot to read.

And besides, I have it programmed.  Not much hassle for me to post those links. :wink:

Of course, I'd the first to give a swift kick in the ass if they seem ignorant and haven't done ANY research. :wink:

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

#3336012 - 11/09/04 04:11 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Okay, sounds fair to me. It just see it done alot so I thought i would mention something. Sorry for hijacking the thread robbster. But def. look at that link. It is really easy to put together and run. Good Luck.

--------------------

Edward Abbey

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3336035 - 11/09/04 04:39 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

The search function is difficult to use. The google one for the entire site is best. People with hard times using computers could have a hard time finding what they need using search as Sam mentioned, there are some issues with it. People come here to learn how to cultivate, not how to search for things.

I mean whats this person supposed to search for to start off with? All they know is they dont want to fan so what do you search for if you dont know the term PMP? This requires them to make a post and at that point is it needed to make them go search for it? How do you even know this person doesnt know how to search and didnt try but had no idea what to look for. If you keep the threads bookmarks its easy enough to link people up. I understand people need to do some things on their own and I have actually been comming down on some newbies latly who have been getting a little silly with their posts filled with a lack of wanting to learn and to eager to just get mushrooms and to do things their way even though its their first grow. Not to mention a post gives the poster multiple feelings on a subject as opposed to just one person who wrote a FAQ. There is some information that is definatly personal opinion and I think shouldnt be advised to do and people posting questions about that helps this.

Well anyways yeah way off track. That PMP is the way to go though. You can use a cool mist humidifier as well but more expensive, noisy and more of a hassle unless your dealing with a larger grow then a rubbermaid or two.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Re: Alternative to fanning? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3336057 - 11/09/04 05:06 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Uh, i believe i said Poor Mans Pod in my post, but i guess your too busy to read the whole thing

--------------------

Edward Abbey

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3336093 - 11/09/04 05:57 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I read that you said it but like I said..the person has already had to post..if you can easily hold the links at your disposal for newbies as Sam can then why shouldn't the person get the link and be forced to search for it?

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

#3336104 - 11/09/04 06:07 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

To allow him to learn how to use the shroomery effectivly, it will benefit the person more. Give a person a can of beans and they can eat for a day, gie them some seeds and they can eat for a lifetime.

--------------------

Edward Abbey

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3336111 - 11/09/04 06:11 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Nothing wrong with giving a head start.  I mean, they will most likely to be glued to the computer for hours and hours looking through this site soon, anyways...  plenty of time to learn to search.  I think it's better than going around spreading ideas that basic PF tek is too hard and time consuming like some people and end up buying kits as an alternatives.

And besides, he was in "Search" of alternate method to fanning.

I'm sure everyone here will agree that whatever is in my head and computer...  it's searchable by asking. :wink:  I'm sure many feel the same way with their knowledge as good contributors to the community.

Sam

--------------------

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

#3336122 - 11/09/04 06:18 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Oh im not saying dont help em out. Just try to have them come up with the awnsers on their own sometimes. I find it mush more satisfying to find the info myself than have it spoonfed. I also remember it better too.

--------------------

Edward Abbey

OfflineSilven
Male

Loc: El Mexicano
    #3336125 - 11/09/04 06:19 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Silven: Mod In Training

Thread Locked. :lol:

--------------------
What do you bring to the table?

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Re: Alternative to fanning? [Re: Silven]
    #3336138 - 11/09/04 06:29 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Why??? No ones flaming man. Just discussing.

--------------------

Edward Abbey

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3336155 - 11/09/04 06:37 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

LoL.  Silven, you might be training forever. :wink:

Sam

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3336233 - 11/09/04 07:25 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I'd agree with you about most things they should search for, you know, what lighting, what strain, humidity, temp, ect ect..THIS is basic info and can be found by a search. However I have tried myself to find the Rye thread by Magash using the search and had to use the google one to get any results and it still took a little digging..I already know how to use it and what I was looking for and it still was a pain in the ass..if I didnt know what I was looking for I'd have been dead in the water..just like someone searching for the PMP. Basic information can be found and teks come across but unless you ask if there are methods that are an improvment from the ones you know, you might miss out on a few interesting ideas if you are a newbie who is only using the search function afraid to post a question asking the best way to automate fresh air exchange which is something not easily searched for. Especially for a newbie, this site can be overwhelming with all the posts, a computer illerate (or almost) person may also have never heard of a forum let alone how to use one or search one or much but they found a little word that says "post", if your going to give the man seeds to grow beans at least when you tell him "Have you looked into making a Poor Mans Pod??" Tell him where he can look into it at, be it a link or directions to look for where the search function is and inform them that there is one if they were aware.

I mean, myself, I won't give anyone links..I'll describe and tell them words to search for and to use the google one and where it is, but I don't hand out links ever..I just don't think its bad practice for others to do it if they are so inclined or that you should tell people to help people less to make them do more work. You gave him very little to go on for a pretty resonable question..

--------------------

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

#3336247 - 11/09/04 07:33 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

It took me two trys to get the rye tek to come up. I really dont see the problem. I do agree the search engine can be difficult to operate, especially for someone new to this site. And yes there are alot of posts and alot of information on this site. But that is one thing they teach you in school to is serch for things and not rely on someone else to do all the work for you. I do believe were in agreence on this subject.

--------------------

Edward Abbey

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3336272 - 11/09/04 07:50 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I was taught you find information any way you can.  Best method was to ask the teachers where I can find them, not the library index. :wink:

Sam

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3336284 - 11/09/04 07:54 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Sam1912 said:
I was taught you find information any way you can.  Best method was to ask the teachers where I can find them, not the library index. :wink:

Sam

Thats how I was taught too.

--------------------

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

#3336325 - 11/09/04 08:05 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Good point. Actually excellent point. Maybe we should bring up a revision of the search function? Or maybe some sort of tutorial to help people just now joining the shroomer???

--------------------

Edward Abbey

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3336338 - 11/09/04 08:08 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

There's a sticky about it...  Google works, though.  So is asking for the link by making a new thread. Like a student asking a teacher.  Does that make me a teachdr? :wink:

Sam

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3336393 - 11/09/04 08:27 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Wellllll what I really like is the archieve section! I noticed them new up there and building up threads...thats a good place to refer newbies to. Its a cross between the FAQ's and the board..if only the search function works on that well.

By the way its been a while since I've tried to search it could have gotten better as there have been alot of changes recently..

Now what I'd really love is a bot that scans the posts and if its a basic question asked all the time (recognize key words or something..im sure this could be done..might not work 100% but should most of the time) automatically post a link to the section of archieves that it partains to and locks the thread. If I were an admin here thats probably what I'd do manually..a good archieve can be built up to hold the opinions of everyone and for discussions and experiment results ect and if people dont use it, you point them to it and the section they are currently inquiring about and they can then read all opinions archieved on that information. Lock the thread and let it drop and keep the original questions to the top. Soon enough the archieve could be built enough where it could answer most questions as best as any post asking the same thing again would.. But thats alot of work and understandable that its not done manually..

--------------------

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3336406 - 11/09/04 08:35 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

People will still ask questions repetitively.. something about human interaction, I think... And some questions will be most disturbing

Sam

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3336433 - 11/09/04 08:45 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Right but the point is if the bot automatically took care of them for us we wouldnt even need to read half the questions in here and everyone would still get all the information on lighting or casing or whatever subject they needed. I guess it would most likly not end up working once applied to the real world..nothing ever works as good in real world as it does in theory. Like democrasy.

Wow running away with this thread now, im into politics..

--------------------

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #3336470 - 11/09/04 08:55 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Bottom line....
Keep throwing those lnks at the newbs and mayhaps a few of them will learn something and come back and toss a link or two at a newer newb.
:peace:

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3336471 - 11/09/04 08:56 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

LOL. just a thought. If most questions are answered by the archives, does that mean we'll have only idiotic questions and remarks left?

Sam

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3336509 - 11/09/04 09:07 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

In theory it would leave us with all the interesting topics that are highly debated and currently being experimented on..you could only use the archieve linking to eliminate the questions with little debate like temp, light, specifics on "whats 50/50+" yadda yadda just like the FAQ's are supposed to do but archieves can do it better not only because they hold the whole thread which holds the discussion and opinion of multiple people instead of just one side but because it can be added to and seen easily (questions added on to the already existing archieve thread that is).

But we'd probably just end up with idiotic questions and remarks left :smile: George is always good for links to teks :smile:

--------------------

Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #3336524 - 11/09/04 09:11 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
(questions added on to the already existing archieve thread that is)

There will be no posting in the archives.

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Alternative to fanning? [Re: george castanza]
    #3336570 - 11/09/04 09:21 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I thought you could add on to topics? They werent locked when I was looking before..I know you can't post new topics but you cant add onto the thread either?

--------------------

Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #3336606 - 11/09/04 09:34 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Your not suposed to be able to...

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Alternative to fanning? [Re: george castanza]
    #3336627 - 11/09/04 09:39 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Well i guess you can reply in the archives...don't know if this will change or not...stay tuned!

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract