Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinepimptripper
Stranger
 User Gallery
how many cakes per casing is best?
    #3333838 - 11/08/04 07:24 PM (13 years, 18 days ago)

ok first off i need to ask if a jar isnt even growing anything in 10 days, and another jar is already half colonized is there a problem with the jar or do some jars colonize slower. all 12 1/2 pint jars are b+ strain and the temp fluxuates between 65 and 85 degrees. I read in one of the threads that it doesnt matter how many spores you use, well my best jar is going twice as fast as any other jar because i put about twice as many spores.
Now one jar will be done about a week ahead of all others, would it be wise to go ahead and case (shoebox size tupperware) with one jar. It was recomended to even do a half jar in one thread. If it is a good idea how thick of layers should i use? im like a sponge right now and need to absorb all the mushie info possible. thnx from a noob

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecall_me_kido
Philosopher
 User Gallery

Loc: In your dreams
Re: how many cakes per casing is best? [Re: pimptripper]
    #3333911 - 11/08/04 07:38 PM (13 years, 18 days ago)

I dont want to doom your operation, because your being inquisitive and obviously have an urge to learn it right. But you need to prepare things a little better. A fluctuation of 20 degrees during incubation is practically reckless. If you dont have the optimal conditions to grow mycelium you need to create them.

Create a TiT. Go to the search category and type it in then read the tek and invest a good 20-30.00 making it. If you dont have the money figure something out.

It doesnt take alot of spores to inoculate a jar. Unless you got a bad syringe...and it is very unlikely you did, your jars should all be doing about the same.

There are so many reasons that jar could be behind I could be here all night trying to figure it out..but heres some reasons for a variation in your cultures...

Different substrate in the jars.
Different amounts of water in the jars, too much and too little will both halt growth.
Temperature changes in a jar based on its position to the heat source.
Unsterile conditions while handling any/all jars.
Misuse of proper inoculation technique.
Extended exposure to light over any given time.

Follow the teks closely and perfect your technque.

Your question on how many cakes per casing is almost irrelevant. It depends on the size of your jars and the size of your cakes, as well as what casign mixture youll actually be using. "Shoebox size" is like saying New York us "city sized". We need some dimensions to give appropriate advice. Your substrate should be between 1-4 inches, never to exceed six, never below one. Use as much substrate as needed to acheive those specs. The rest is trial and error.

Good luck to you.

Kido

--------------------
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
- Albert Einstein (1875-1955)

"A is A" -Aristotle

Offlinepimptripper
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: how many cakes per casing is best? [Re: call_me_kido]
    #3335554 - 11/09/04 01:51 AM (13 years, 18 days ago)

well i think i fixed the problem, i put the jars in a small room with a heater. its at 84 now and i am trying to get it right on 86, plus i noticed very small traces of myc starting in the formerly barren jars.
as for the casing i think ill
just experiment around and see what works best. I just cant wait

OfflineRRhoads
chemistry student
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: cahleeforneeah
    #3335560 - 11/09/04 01:53 AM (13 years, 18 days ago)

2-3

--------------------

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
    #3335588 - 11/09/04 02:03 AM (13 years, 18 days ago)

I incubate at 84+-.5F and fruit at 72 for pinning and 75 for fruiting.

Build a PMP and TNT. Casings... well, you want about 1.5-2" substrate in each casing. Mine use 3 cakes each at 7"x11"

Good luck

Sam

Tub in Tub Incubator(TnT) by Magash
Poormans Pod(PMP) by Magash

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: how many cakes per casing is best? [Re: Sam1912]
    #3335760 - 11/09/04 03:09 AM (13 years, 18 days ago)

Dont move it up to 86..keep it 83-84..the myc will produce some heat itself to get it to the 86 it likes.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation