Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinekid_unknown
kid unknown
peat/compost sterilization
    #3332716 - 11/08/04 09:33 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

hello, i have some peat based compost, and was wondering how i go about sterilizing it for use in a casing, i did a search but could only find microwave method or pressure cooker, i dont have either :frown: can i do it in oven, if i can could you give me a quick walkthrough or direct me to instructions, thanks

--------------------
Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money. ~Cree Indian Proverb

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecall_me_kido
Philosopher
 User Gallery

Loc: In your dreams
Re: peat/compost sterilization [Re: kid_unknown]
    #3332783 - 11/08/04 10:06 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

There is alot of reccomendations for sterlizing casing mixtures. It appears there are two divided schools on the subject.

One says that unsterilized casings contain organisms beneficial to mushroom growth. This would probably vary depending on whether it were a coir or peat based casing like yours. If youre using peat adjusting the ph would be a good idea, most contams thrive in a more acidic enviornment.

Another group sterilizes using a microwave or pc. I did some reading earlier that said the following. (Basically)

For a 50/50 mixture Verm/coir or peat use 2 cups of verm, 2 cups peat/coir and 2/5 cups of crushed oyster shell (or the buffer you prefer).

This mixture will fill 2 quart sized jars nicely.

Use either microwavable plastic quart jars or glass pcable quart jars and do the following.

Microwave for 10 min, let cool for 10 min, then microwave again for 10 min. Essentially this pasteurizes the mixture. Take note a filter must be used in the top (tyvek or polyfill) to allow pressure release.

Or PC glass versions for 45 min-1hr at 15psi.

I pressure cook my casing mixtures, because Magash does it and hes a super hero. If your not into the whole batman agenda try doing research on exactly what might be living in the casing mix that is good for our little buddies.

If you are in doubt, sterilize everything. I dont see the problem in being cautious.

Hope that helps a little.

Kido

Edit: Dont use your oven. . .I just re-read your post and realized you dont have a microwave or pressure cooker. It is possible that boiling the jars heavy for an hour, then again for an hour the following day would be reasonable.

--------------------
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
- Albert Einstein (1875-1955)

"A is A" -Aristotle

Edited by call_me_kido (11/08/04 10:08 AM)

Offlinekid_unknown
kid unknown
Re: peat/compost sterilization [Re: call_me_kido]
    #3332857 - 11/08/04 10:32 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

im sorry i should have explained what im doing more, at the moment i have 4 brown rice flour cakes which i want to add to a casing, i understand i have to add half inch of verm then put crumbled cakes in then a mix of peat and verm on top, i just wanted to know if i could cook all the badies out of this top layer in oven before i put it on top,

--------------------
Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money. ~Cree Indian Proverb

Offlinekid_unknown
kid unknown
    #3332885 - 11/08/04 10:41 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

arhh, i think i get what you mean now, if i mix peat with a bit of verm and water, then sterilize as i did the cakes before injected spores, is that it? can i use bit pan with lid for this and if so how long do i boil it for

--------------------

Edited by kid_unknown (11/08/04 10:43 AM)

Offlinecall_me_kido
Philosopher
 User Gallery

#3332890 - 11/08/04 10:42 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yessir. Casing layers basically have little nutrient value for mycelium or contams for that matter. Sterilization is much more important for substrates then casing material. Boiling your casing should be efficient enough to get you through.

Good luck

Kido

--------------------
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"

"A is A" -Aristotle

Edited by call_me_kido (11/08/04 10:43 AM)

Offlinekid_unknown
kid unknown
Re: peat/compost sterilization [Re: call_me_kido]
    #3332902 - 11/08/04 10:45 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

thanks for that kido :wink:

--------------------

Offlinecall_me_kido
Philosopher
 User Gallery

#3332910 - 11/08/04 10:47 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Anytime of course.

Kido

--------------------

"A is A" -Aristotle

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags