Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleCherryBomM
Yoga Gypsy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Ontario
Crossroads
    #3332249 - 11/08/04 04:35 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Here's a little background information:

I'm 22 years old and I didn't graduate from high school.  I guess the reason why is mostly because I was on a lot of drugs and I had a lot of attitude.  I've cleaned myself up and things have changed a lot since then.  One thing that I really do pride myself on is that I will always stand behind my decisions...even the bad ones.

I'm sick of struggling all the time.  It's always a battle to make sure that my bank account isn't $2 short so my rent cheque doesn't bounce, my phone doesn't get cut off, my cat gets to eat.  I work my ass off nights and weekends, I have two jobs now.  I don't think that this is a way to live.  Maybe I'm asking for too much, maybe this is the way that it is supposed to be, but I had higher expectations, you know?

Now, I'm considering joining the army.  I live on a military base and my fiancee is reg force.  The military is really good to him.  He's got full medical and dental, decent salary, paid holidays and vacations and so on and so on.  I know I could do it, but I'm a little bit unsure about the morality of it.  If I joined for a 3 year contract to start, I could put my three years in, pay off some debts, buy a decent car and get a good start in life with some training that I could apply into civilian life afterwards.  They will even help me pay a good chunk of my schooling afterwards.

I just don't want to sign my life away.  When I think of the reasons and try and list them, they seem so trivial, but IT'S MY LIFE.  I don't the choice to color my hair any colour I want, I don't have any weird piercings or anything but at least I have the freedom to get one if I want one.  I want to be able to call in sick if I really am sick and not be charged.

These all seem like little things, I guess...but freedom is important to me.  I guess in the long run, after my 3 years is over I will have more freedom then I have ever had in my entire life.

I just don't know what I should do.  I think I should probably suck it up and go for it.  What's 3 years in the grand scheme of things?  :confused:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: Crossroads [Re: CherryBom]
    #3332272 - 11/08/04 04:51 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

have you ever thought about still getting your highschool diploma. after that you can pick something you like and maybe do another study or something. and not to have to do something because there aren't other options. ....just an idea, I don't know you so maybe I'm saying stupid things in this post :wink:

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
    #3332663 - 11/08/04 09:10 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Do they have any regional voulenteer services in Canada?

Here we have the California Conservation Corps, the National Comunity Civilian Corps, of Americorps, and a whole list others..

They dont pay too well but they do good comunity and environmental work projects that realy make a diference.. Plus you get all they freedom you want cuz you can quit at any time, call in sick and all that.

These jobs lead into all sorts of cooleru jobs and most of them will give you $2500 to $7000 for college when you finish and its mandatory that while your enrolled as a corps member you get your GED or Diploma.

If not, join the Army. Hell, Im seriously thinking of it and I dont like anything about war or what our armed forces are doing.

But, I come from a military family and lived on bases and its hard not to notice that everyone around is doing well in life. They all got some job they do daily and the benefits just KICK ASS. Plus they all have just as much free time as everyone else.

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

#3332674 - 11/08/04 09:14 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

My opinion: Whatever You do, stay out of the army. Please.

--------------------

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #3332675 - 11/08/04 09:15 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Why not get your GED and try out college, or a vocational school?  You can get a degree or certification in under two years AND still have the freedom of self-expression.  You have *many* options, not just the army.  :smile:

InvisibleJettaJay
PsychedelicStranger
 User Gallery

#3332688 - 11/08/04 09:21 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Edited by JettaJay (11/08/04 09:22 AM)

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
    #3332707 - 11/08/04 09:28 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Don't do it.. I mean.. I don't know about you but I'm not all about dying for other people's agendas. Well, I don't know what the army is like in Canada.. but I imagine they let the US push them around and that means Canoodians getting killed in other countries. If you want your freedom there's tons of other paths you can take.

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #3332724 - 11/08/04 09:35 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Joining the military -- especially the Canadian military -- isn't as bad as most people think it is.

The other thing to consider is the length of time involved. Three years is a snap of the fingers. It's less than the time required to get a Bachelor of Arts degree. So you can't get a new tat or a new piercing or dye your hair green for a whopping 36 months? Big whoop.

I'm not saying you should enlist -- just saying the downside is negligible and the upside considerable.

One thing you may not find acceptable is the fact that the military tends to transfer you to places you may not want to go. There is no guarantee your fianc? will get transferred to the same places at the same time.

Financially speaking, it's pretty tough to beat what the army has to offer. There are no other courses of action I personally can think of offhand that will leave you better off three years from now.

pinky

--------------------

InvisibleCherryBomM
Yoga Gypsy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Ontario
Re: Crossroads [Re: JettaJay]
    #3333026 - 11/08/04 11:19 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I totally appreciate and respect people being worried about one more person being trained to kill, but the army isn't all about killing and guns and Iraq and Afghanistan.

I'm going to be a payroll clerk. I'll be in an office in front of computer all day doing paperwork. The chances of me ever even picking up a weapon are slim to none.

I'm going to find out alot more about my options, but for financial reasons, I'm kind of leaning towards it. I can't afford to go to school right now. I can barely afford my rent. The way I see it, I have two choices:

1. Continue working two jobs and live from paycheck to paycheck with no weekends off unless I preform sexual favors. (jk)

2. Join the army, take advantage of free medical and dental, buy a nice little car and go back to school after my contract is over.

Hmmm. Putting it into those terms seems to make things a little bit more clear.

More to follow.

--------------------

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
    #3333269 - 11/08/04 12:32 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Sounds like you've already given it a lot of thought

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

InvisibleJettaJay
PsychedelicStranger
 User Gallery

Re: Crossroads [Re: Ripple]
    #3333337 - 11/08/04 12:47 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

If you have given it this much thought then go for it. I am seriously considering joining because I think my friend who got killed would want it that way. Maybe its just the emotions talking but somehow I think it will help me not to think he died in vein.

--------------------
I saw a little green light buzzing around in a tree, and it dawned on me that "they" were here
~~~LouiseLouise

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iceland Flag
    #3333338 - 11/08/04 12:47 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I'd say you go for it, the Canadian army tends to be in peacekeeping situations anyhow right?

I think if nothing it will be a good experience for you and have you better off in 3yrs time. I mean you are still so young and have so many choices that you will make in the next decade, but I think that this is a good decision.

I say go for it  :thumbup:

Jump to top Pages: 1

PhytoExtractum Shop: Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder