Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Coir, HEPA Filter, Paul Stamets, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAmygdala
Learner

Poor air exchange in martha?
    #3331742 - 11/08/04 01:10 AM (12 years, 29 days ago)

AFOAF has a Martha Stewart Closet setup, containing about 18 casings.
Each casing is in a "Homebest Deepdish container" (gladware, etc..) with 1/2 in. of coir/verm on bottom, 1.5 qts of colonized rye (2-3 in.), and 1/4 in. coir/verm casing layer.

Pin development was just EXPLOSIVE with pretty much every piece of casing covered in pins. After this growth just seemed to slow, with development taking about 9-10 days.

The martha has a vicks coolmist and Kaz ultrasonic running into it, and from what I hear the vicks should have no problem clearing out all that air...

Ok, after all that, heres the problem:
After harvest this weekend, 4 casings yielded 27g Dry, Horrible. There were many mushrooms growing but the stems were long and thin, and caps were very tiny. According to TMC this is most definitely due to CO2 buildup. So whats the problem?

The Martha had one hole in the bottom for drainage, which water did buildup and cover for about 2 days, so i placed 3 more holes in the bottom to eliminate the buildup about 5-6 days before harvest. Was that little bit of time without air exchange enough to throw the whole thing off, or did i just have a bad run, and better luck next time?

Another thing I've been considering is that the vicks being in an enclosed closet with the martha is just cycling stale air in there, in which case I may need to leave the closet door cracked when possible? The crack below the door was covered with black garbage bag, because blue light creeping under a closet door isn't exactly inconspicuous...

BTW the rye I used is from a feed store and is sometimes referred to as winter rye, It doesn't seem that substrate would be the problem, but i just wanna examine every possibility. the vicks runs 24/7 the ultrasonic 30 mins every 3 1/2 hours

Edited by Amygdala (11/08/04 02:36 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

Re: Poor air exhange in martha? [Re: Amygdala]
    #3331845 - 11/08/04 01:48 AM (12 years, 29 days ago)

Is your friends cool mist hose @ the top of the martha?
One could try upgrading the garden hose size output of the cool mist to a larger diameter hose. 1 1/2in or so.
The cool mist will put out alot more air if given a bigger hose.
Then tweak the ultrasonic to stay on longer to replace the humidity lost in the increased air exchange.

OfflineAmygdala
Learner

Re: Poor air exhange in martha? [Re: fresh313]
    #3331936 - 11/08/04 02:36 AM (12 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

fresh313 said:
Is your friends cool mist hose @ the top of the martha?
One could try upgrading the garden hose size output of the cool mist to a larger diameter hose. 1 1/2in or so.
The cool mist will put out alot more air if given a bigger hose.
Then tweak the ultrasonic to stay on longer to replace the humidity lost in the increased air exchange.

Yes the hoses are at the top with the coolmist below the ultrasonic, but increasing the diameter is a great idea that i hadn't considered. The only problem i would have with that is finding a way to drill a hole that big into the coolmist, and also through the plexiglass support. The outside diameter of the hose is 7/8th in. right now, and i had a hard time finding a drill bit for that...

--------------------
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Offlinedmc_
 Arcade Champion: Madness

Loc: Portland, OR
    #3332017 - 11/08/04 03:30 AM (12 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

Yes the hoses are at the top with the coolmist below the ultrasonic, but increasing the diameter is a great idea that i hadn't considered. The only problem i would have with that is finding a way to drill a hole that big into the coolmist, and also through the plexiglass support. The outside diameter of the hose is 7/8th in. right now, and i had a hard time finding a drill bit for that...

Butane lighter, knife, some silicon and your set.

OfflineAmygdala
Learner

Re: Poor air exhange in martha? [Re: dmc_]
    #3332070 - 11/08/04 04:04 AM (12 years, 29 days ago)

just hold the flame underneath for awhile until it gets hot and start cutting? Do you just score it like you normally would, and then knock it out? Also, does the heat cause the plastic to deform at all?

Edit: also, now that i think about it, the fitting in the coolmist is siliconed in and cutting a bigger hole in the coolmist might be difficult. I dont think home depot had any fittings bigger than the size i bought...

--------------------
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Edited by Amygdala (11/08/04 04:14 AM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3332121 - 11/08/04 04:31 AM (12 years, 29 days ago)

You just said your problem right there. Your Marthas in the closet and the Vicks is just using the air in the closet. A crack in the closet may help but it would be nice if you could get it outside of the closet or leave the closet wide open or at least fan it out a few times a day. I used to have to do the same thing..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineBrady
randomizer
Loc: on a damn island , FL
Re: Poor air exhange in martha? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3332134 - 11/08/04 04:40 AM (12 years, 29 days ago)

I suggest u check out the plubing department at home depot, plus your gonna need to vent your closet.

--------------------
I love to trade , trade with me!

Offlinebeejay
some randominternet dude

Loc: The Dark Tower
Re: Poor air exhange in martha? [Re: Brady]
    #3332496 - 11/08/04 09:24 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

as far as fittings are concerned, home depot has various attatchments for wet/dry vacs. This includes 1 3/4" tubing with various tool attatchments. I used the tool heads attached to the martha, this way you can disconnect them easily if need be. Worked for me.

--------------------
Anjaba said:
Oh shit, don't drink it.... It would eat away your esophagus...
mantis said:
Leave me out of this pissing contest, you fascist wang-dang-doodle!
Hattori Hanzo said:
If on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be cut

Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

Re: Poor air exhange in martha? [Re: dmc_]
    #3333012 - 11/08/04 01:16 PM (12 years, 28 days ago)

Butane lighter, knife, some silicon and your set.

thats all ya need, trace the hose on the coolmist w/ a marker, open a window and melt the plastic. cut the hole a little smaller than the hose and just squeeze it in. didnt even need the silicone. the air inside the coolmist is spinning horizontaly so i figured putting the hose in at an angle instead of vertically would give extra flow.

OfflineAmygdala
Learner

#3335741 - 11/09/04 03:03 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

Sounds good, thanks for the replies all...

So what kind of permanant solutions would involve leaving the setup in the closet? I've been leaving the door open when I know that no one is coming over, but what about when the door needs to be shut? I'd hate to have spent time making the whole thing automated only to turn around and go back to manually fanning... If i were to leave the door cracked when possible, and set a house fan inside the closet (outside martha) would setting it on a timer do the trick? I'd say the closet is about 9ft tall, 6ft wide, 4ft deep, would having a fan come on for an hour every 2 hrs be sufficient? Actually leaving it on 24/7 wouldn't really hurt the humidity anyways now that i think about it... any suggestions? Second harvest was still thin and skinny  :frown:

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3335818 - 11/09/04 03:26 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

Definatly. Leave it open all the time and when people come over close it.. Thats what I did..here let me find some old pics..

That held my incubator and fruiting chamber. You can't see the cool mist sitting next to it on the floor but it is. I would leave it open most of the time with a HEPA sitting in front of the door opening then just close it and put the HEPA outside when people came over. The HEPA (for "eating smoke") would cover the noise of the cool mist as well. I also got a little fan.

For 99 cents at walmart. Use that 1-3 times a day for better results..co2 sinks and can form pockets of co2, especially in casings in the area between the top of the casing and the casing container, especially if its bigger. Id suggest a mister like the green one as well...ULTRAfine mist.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

OfflineAmygdala
Learner

#3335841 - 11/09/04 03:31 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

That is exactly everything i needed to know, much appreciation scat  :stoned:

Is the HEPA needed for good air exchange or is it just a sterility precaution?

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3335863 - 11/09/04 03:39 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

It works as the fan you mentioned but adding sterility to it as well. It's mainly for sterility but yeah...

--------------------

OfflineAmygdala
Learner

#3335879 - 11/09/04 03:44 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

:thumbup: thanks for all the input, looks like I'll use a fan for now, and get a HEPA as soon as possible. About how long at a time was it safe to keep the door shut before fresh air was needed?

Happy 100th post to me!

:eek:  :stoned:  :stoned:    :stoned: :stoned:  :eek:
      :mushroom2:      :mushroom2:  :drumming:    :mushroom2:  :mushroom2:

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3335903 - 11/09/04 03:58 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

Really only once a day did I fan when I had that setup actually now that I think about it...so the door could remain closed for probably 24 hours and still be ok...I mean you could leave it closed for longer too..they'll still grow. No one I know of uses oxygen meters or co2 meters so how long before they need fresh air is hit and miss..its all a guess. Air it as much as possible and keep it closed for the least amount of time you can while still being safe and keeping your grow from prying eyes.

Its my new setup in which the entire closet has been covered with plastic and filled with casings that I do the above fanning..its about 3 times the shrooms though..soon to be 4 times when I get my lazy ass around to building the top shelves and cutting the others down. More mushrooms you have more fresh air you need...

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Coir, HEPA Filter, Paul Stamets, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation