Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

Alcohol
    #3330936 - 11/07/04 07:12 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

What is the real reason for people consuming alcohol?
I cannot think of one constructive purpose for this drug.

It is a depressant. It merely numbs the mind of thought and bypasses certain inhibitions so that we can feel comfortable in making piss-poor decisions in the guise of "cutting loose."

All signs point to escapism.

I know many of you drink so I ask for what reason?

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisible420man
Stranger
Re: Alcohol [Re: psyka]
    #3330946 - 11/07/04 07:15 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

drinkings fun but its really not worth it to fuck up ur body just to have fun for a few hours

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
Re: Alcohol [Re: 420man]
    #3330956 - 11/07/04 07:17 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I agree, it seems kind of dumb (to me). That's why I dont drink...

--------------------

OfflineNuperSova
Stranger
    #3330957 - 11/07/04 07:17 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

psyka said:
escapism

You probably answered it there. Some people find it relaxing, fun, social etc. I don't think it's so hard to think of reasons why people drink???

--------------------
I Refuse To Say I'm Lost Just Because I Don't Know Where I Am

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

Re: Alcohol [Re: NuperSova]
    #3330965 - 11/07/04 07:20 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

"Some people find it relaxing, fun, social etc."

Are they unable to do these things without alcohol?

I asked for the REAL reason.

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind

Edited by psyka (11/07/04 07:21 PM)

Offlinenothing
Old Hand

Re: Alcohol *DELETED* [Re: psyka]
    #3330980 - 11/07/04 07:24 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Post deleted by Sir Ian

Reason for deletion: _

OfflineNuperSova
Stranger
    #3331007 - 11/07/04 07:31 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

psyka said:
"Some people find it relaxing, fun, social etc."

Are they unable to do these things without alcohol?

No.

Quote:

I asked for the REAL reason.

For some that is a REAL reason.

Chryssi

--------------------

OfflineIrishGuy
The Mean Green

Loc: The bottom of Time
Re: Alcohol [Re: NuperSova]
    #3331033 - 11/07/04 07:37 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

How about 'cause its fun... like going to an amusement park or touching small children.  Also, like you said some people have social inhabitions.  Alcohol relieves this tendancy towards being intraverted.  Funnel it, smoke it, or inject it... alcohol is America's favorite drug. :nonono:

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

Re: Alcohol [Re: IrishGuy]
    #3331059 - 11/07/04 07:45 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

What exactly is fun about drinking? The taste, feeling it move down to your stomach, or the brain numbing sensations it causes?

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #3331157 - 11/07/04 08:07 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Psyka, I think you should rethink your approach. As it is, it seems a little too blunt. The fact is, while most people DO use alchohol as a form of escapism, the best way to open their eyes to it isn't going to be to shove it right in their face. It just raises peoples' defenses.

What SHOULD happen, is each person should sit and think on it for a few minutes before responding.

I don't drink much, but when I do, it's to ESCAPE my social inhibitions. I don't even LIKE alchohol. I hate the taste.. and my digestive system is already fucked. And yet I'll drink it to ESCAPE my social inhibitions.

..but don't expect most people to respond to this kind of blunt confrontation with anything but a defensive brick wall retaliation. It's just the way we work. You gotta backdoor things...

..not sure how much sense that all made, but I think you might get it...

OfflineMushmonkey
shiftlesslayabout
 User Gallery

#3331167 - 11/07/04 08:11 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

"What exactly is fun about drinking? The taste, feeling it move down to your stomach, or the brain numbing sensations it causes? "

All of the above.

If you don't like the taste of alcohol.. you're doing something wrong. Honestly. It's probably either you're drinking cheap liquor, or you're drinking it incorrectly.

And if you don't like the effects of alcohol, well, don't drink it. You might as well ask why people smoke pot, why they eat mushrooms, why they eat opiates, why they suck down some crazy gas used for whipping cream, why they ride roller coasters, why people speed..
you really can't explain it, because you cannot understand unless you've done it and enjoyed it.

--------------------
i finally got around to making a sig
revel in its glory and quake in fear at its might
grar.

OfflineNuperSova
Stranger
Re: Alcohol [Re: Mushmonkey]
    #3331182 - 11/07/04 08:17 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Mushmonkey said:

or you're drinking it incorrectly.

!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: Alcohol [Re: Mushmonkey]
    #3331215 - 11/07/04 08:25 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yes, it's because I'm drinking it incorrectly.

Unlikely, man. Unless you mean that I must train myself to ignore the part of it I don't like, which is just more escapism.

I can tell you one thing though, I DO NOT like alchohol.. and it's not the quality or the way I drink it, it's the taste of bloody alchohol. It makes me want to gag. I can't stand it. I still drink, sometimes.. and I drink things that do a hefty job of attempting to cover-up that ever-present awful taste. But it's still there, and my brain still picks it out no matter what kind of drink I drink.

OfflineChimera
Eyes wide open!

Loc: Great Smoky Mountains
Re: Alcohol [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #3331260 - 11/07/04 08:36 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Being in college, I am in the perfect atmosphere to observe thousands of people each and every weekend using alcohol. I try to moderate myself and drink maybe once every three weeks or so.

--------------------

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.  Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.  The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." - John Muir

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #3331270 - 11/07/04 08:39 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I used to have a severe alcohol problem. I was draining about 5 cases of beer a week. I was functional, I could hold a job, even maintain personal relationships, but it was killing me, and it was a monster bitch to quit. I think I have seen the worst that this drug has to offer. On that note, I would have to state that alcohol is like any other conciousness altering substance. If used in moderation it can enhance one's life; if used carelessly it is a highly dangerous substance. It can destroy a person's motivation, judgement, and body. Drugs like this are not evil, and I won't demonize them...it depends on what you do with them, and how you use them. The same goes for LSD, shrooms, and marijuana. They can be used to enhance life or destroy it. Any of these substances should be used exceedingly sparingly with proper planning and intent. Anyone that finds themselves using a drug daily is in for some bad shit.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

Re: Alcohol [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #3331282 - 11/07/04 08:42 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I fail to see how alcohol can be beneficial to ones life. Perhaps it was the setting. What is the proper setting for it?

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#3331296 - 11/07/04 08:47 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

The proper setting is say have a beer while eating a steak or pizza. Maybe drink 3 beers while sitting on a lawn chair out in the back yard. I ain't talking shitface drunk here just 2 or 3 beers while relaxing. I will drink a beer now and again now, but no more than that. I know the pitfalls too well.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
Re: Alcohol [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #3331365 - 11/07/04 09:09 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Wouldn't a glass of mountain dew have the same effect?

--------------------

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

Re: Alcohol [Re: deff]
    #3331526 - 11/07/04 09:57 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Some liquer tastes really good.

Wines are nice, I have loved the flavor of wine for a long time now.

I only like certain beers, if they taste too much like hops (budweiserrish), I dislike them. I like the taste of a cold heineken. Sometimes comming home to a cold beer after a hard day of work is the best feeling ever. It's mostly escapism and helps me to relax.

When I'm nicely drizzed, I just don't care and lifes problems dilute themselves in a sea of booze. Me and my friends used to like going out and getting belligerrant, causing destruction to our bodies and things around us.

I cannot say Alchohol is very constructive because it is so easily abused, but it helps me relax. I wouldn't say I was ever a very violent drunk. Although me and my friends have caused alot of damage to property, I never rolled with those who get up in people's faces and started fights.

The last time I went out destroying shit while drunk was a few years ago and I would have probably not have done most of that stuff if it wasn't for Alchohol.

If you're looking for "spiritual" reasons for consuming alchohol, plenty of traditions use wine. Wiccans drink wine in rituals and Christians drink it on communion. Some people use it as a spiritual tool, but I don't see it that way.

For me it simply makes me relax.

--------------------
Agent 727

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Alcohol [Re: deff]
    #3331541 - 11/07/04 10:04 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

No. I like Mountain Dew (diet) when coding, but I like a beer now and then when relaxing. The taste is good and the alcohol has a relaxing effect. By that token one could say that Mountain Dew is a replacement for shrooms. They just ain't the same animal. I have fucked up a lot over alcohol, in the past, but that was my responsibility...the alcohol was just a lame excuse. Do I see it as spiritual...no more than consuming food.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies