Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, HEPA Filter, Hygrometer, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMapleLeafRag
Mycophant
Cake longevity when waiting to pin.....
    #3331104 - 11/07/04 09:55 PM (12 years, 28 days ago)

Hello everyone! I have a half dozen or so Amazonian PF jars that I'm desperately trying to get to pin. A couple of them have pinned, and flushed, but only a few HUGE mushrroms. Will these still be able to form more pins, if there aren't any others on the cake when the first flush went through? I read in another thread that pins for all flushes form in the initial pinsite - so I'm scared that might be it for this batch.

I birthed the jars, waited a week and a half saw nothing, decided to try dunking and rolling, and its been another week and a half now. I've harvested a few shrooms from that "flush", if you can call it that. And even the flush was only on two cakes, four mushrooms total.

I think the problem is the growing conditions - in a studio apartment, and on a budget, its hard to set up everything to accurately control temperature, especially. My apartment's either REALLY cold or REALLY warm (75-80ish? don't own a thermometer...) which is preferable at this point? if I leave a window, and it drops to the 60 degrees or so that the outside temp is, is it too low to initiate pinning?

Any help would be appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: Cake longevity when waiting to pin..... [Re: MapleLeafRag]
    #3331198 - 11/07/04 10:21 PM (12 years, 28 days ago)

hmm... spend $2 on one of those sticky aquarium thermometer and stick it on the fruiting chamber.  It'll at least give you some idea what the temp is like.  Of course, if you can afford something better, you can get a hygrometer/thermometer combo for around $12.  It's really important IMO to see your grow condition first time around so you can fix whatever you can.

Cakes seem to favor low temp for pinning(low 70s), but they grow mushrooms better at slightly water temp(mid 70s).  If the temperature is too low, the growth will be very slow.  But they'll still grow some mushrooms.

It might also be your humidity.  I know you are on a budget, but what you buy now, you'll have for a long long long time.  It would be like an investment.  Skip a few trips to Burger King and you'll have enough money for an aquarium heater...  Top Ramen makes good meal if you think about it. :wink:

anyways... good luck

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3331731 - 11/08/04 01:06 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

MapleLeafRag said:
Will these still be able to form more pins, if there aren't any others on the cake when the first flush went through? I read in another thread that pins for all flushes form in the initial pinsite - so I'm scared that might be it for this batch.

You read this on a thread speaking of casings. Not all pins form on the first flush of even casings though..often pins and primordia do form on casings that will sit until the flush they were meant to come up on. Sam pretty much gave you the rest. I'd go with the 70 rather then 80 in your chamber..the air in the chamber will probably be warmer then the outer air anyway so opening the window alot of the time may be a good idea but get some sort of thermometer. A hygrometer would be a good idea too.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineMapleLeafRag
Mycophant
Re: Cake longevity when waiting to pin..... [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3332511 - 11/08/04 09:35 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

Cool, thanks guys. I figured this was the problem, that I just need to get the damn conditions right.

How long are the cakes viable for though? Will the cakes ever go "bad" from just sitting there and not fruiting while I take however much time it takes to get the conditions right?

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3333730 - 11/08/04 05:36 PM (12 years, 27 days ago)

Cakes will not go "bad" They will contaminate which I guess is going bad..but there isn't like a specific time where they just will stop growing. They will continue to produce mushrooms until they either contam or run out of nutes. You can usually get 2-3 flushes off cakes at least though..youll notice it puttering out, you can get alot more. I dont know exactly how many but off casings I've gotten 8 and then they contamed. If you keep it the environment clean, use h202 where needed..alcohol bleach..whatever you need to keep everything clean..HEPA's are grand for grow rooms, then your cake will last a while without contaming. Even with imperfect conditions they will still fruit. They just may be slower or the mushrooms may be spindily or yeilds may be reduced. Work towards optimal as best as you can. Drop temps for sure! Addition of the verm layer by the way would cause a little longer before the pin since they flushed and have to colonize the new layer after then they'll pin. You should get pinds soon!

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, HEPA Filter, Hygrometer, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation