Home | Community | Message Board

The Best Salvia
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Microscope, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibledustz
prentice

Loc: Canadia
Fruit flies in bulk bin
    #3330469 - 11/07/04 06:52 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

This is the project I've had going recently...

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3312918/an/0/page/0

It doesn't seem like spraying anything would solve the problem. I read some old posts about flies and it sounds like dunking might be the only option for this type of setup. Should I give that a try or is it pretty much hopeless at this point?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: Fruit flies in bulk bin [Re: dustz]
    #3330565 - 11/07/04 07:19 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Most of the techniques for dealing with flies have mediocre success. I'm assuming you're talking about 'fungus gnats', the guys that look a little more like a mosquito than a fruit fly. They walk a lot more. The problem with them is that they burrow into the substrate, so that any attempt at control will miss larvae/adults that are buried. I've used some eco-friendly 'pest sprays' and it helped a little. . .it was only a matter of time before they showed up again. Also, at least some of the time the spray seemed to encourage mold. Sticky tape is another option, though that only gets them outside the substrate. Once I played with adding a few mothballs to the terrarium, but I don't remember if that worked or not [probably not].
Flies are one of the toughest contams to eradicate. What really sucks about them is that they can find refuge in any nook; potted plants, for example. It only takes the slightest whiff of a fruiting block and they can come back.

Sorry there isn't better news, maybe some other people have some ideas. . .

Invisibledustz
prentice

Loc: Canadia
Re: Fruit flies in bulk bin [Re: Suntzu]
    #3331587 - 11/08/04 12:22 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for responding Suntzu

I think I'm going to try and dunk the brick asap. Do you think I should mix any bleach or H2O2 with the water?

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#3334153 - 11/08/04 08:30 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Interesting. I know a lot of people have bad things to say about bleach, but a very dilute solution could still f-up eggs and larvae. The question is what strength and for how long? You might have to guess on that one. . .

Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
    #3334258 - 11/08/04 08:55 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I had this problem in my "potted" plants. What worked for me and may be a solution for you is sharp silica, the white crushed quartz used for sandblasting and white mortar. It is Ph neutral and non toxic but is like broken glass. When I used it in my soil mix it would lacerate and kill the larvae. I watched it in time lapse using a lil kids computer microscope so I know it works and how. perhaps this sand in the casing would do the same for a bulk substrate also.
I have also wondered if predatory nematodes introduced post pasteurization would work for dung and/or straw substrates as they are quite effective in soil mixes.
I hope some of this helps.
WR:wexican:

--------------------
To old for this place

Invisiblezerozero
Stranger

Re: Fruit flies in bulk bin [Re: whiterasta]
    #3334756 - 11/08/04 11:01 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

next time just use DIATOMATIOUS EARTH, it is basically the same thing as what you described, except it is use in the horticulture industry. way way way way better than BT or any other thing i've seen, not only killing fungi gnats, but controlling them. you could probably add it before and/or after the sterilization process. in fact Di. Earth is so safe they use it in the food industry to pack grains and beans to kill those little rolly bugs that get in.
also, you can add it to water and spray the leaves of plants to kill other types of bugs.
peace out

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Microscope, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum