Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Dehydrator, Dessicant

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineoddiseus
The PsychofunkFirefly

Loc: Doldrums & Faultlines
Need a clear answer on this
    #3330446 - 11/07/04 06:45 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Ok I've searched and read the posts on the dehydrators but I keep getting two seemingly solid answers.

I just bought the Wal mart dehydrator "Nesco" its lowest temp is 95 degrees. I'm not sure if I should dismantle the heating element or just use the heat. Can anyone clarify this ultimately please?

Thanks,
-odd

--------------------
Though you can't go back and make a new beginning. You can start today to make a new end.

Traveller, there is no path, paths are made by walking

If Jesus was jewish...Why does he have a mexican name??

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Re: Need a clear answer on this [Re: oddiseus]
    #3330455 - 11/07/04 06:47 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Scat uses a dehydrator and claims that under 100 degrees is fine....

I haven't been taking any chances and have just been fan-drying in the dehydrator with it unplugged. I found a desk fan that fits on the top tray of the dehydrator(without the top on), and blows down over them..

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
    #3330463 - 11/07/04 06:49 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

95F should be good enough.  It'll give you shorten the drying time significantly without significant loss in potency.  Faster drying time does offset the degradation from normal oxidation a little bit.

If you are still unsure, you should try drying about 20g wet.  It'll help you put your mind at ease. :wink:

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlineoddiseus
The PsychofunkFirefly

Re: Need a clear answer on this [Re: Sam1912]
    #3330476 - 11/07/04 06:53 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

by faster drying times you mean increasing heat right??

--------------------
Though you can't go back and make a new beginning. You can start today to make a new end.

Invisiblezxsevinr
fartnocker
    #3330511 - 11/07/04 07:02 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

i have a dehydrator and i think im gonna move to the fan drying method instead it just seems to take too long with dehydrator for me and i also use a desiccant chamber

--------------------
i also am a big liar and i tell no truths on this board furthermore when the words i me or my are used i am refering to a friend of a friend

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3330516 - 11/07/04 07:04 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Not necessarily. There are a lot of ways to get faster drying time. Using a condenser or dehydrated air is one way...

Heating causes air to hold more moisture. So with same moisture content, warmer air has lower RELATIVE humidity. So it can pick up more moisture as it passes by the mushrooms.

The degradation of active alkaloid goes up exponentially with rise in temperature. But most oxidation occur with dissolved oxygen in the water inside the mushroom. Quicker you get rid of that water, less you are going to lose. There is a balance you can strike to minimize the loss. You should be okay at 95F. I wouldn't crank the heat any more than that. Remember that the loss goes up exponentially with temperature rise.

I have couple of drying chambers fitted with computer fans that moves air well. They stay on computer monitors(surface is about 95F)(chamber temp is about 80F). My mushies stay in there for 12-24 hours before they go into desiccant chamber. Total drying time is less 2 days normally except for huge harvests.

It's really upto you, but I think you should leave your dehydrator unit as is.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlineoddiseus
The PsychofunkFirefly

#3330547 - 11/07/04 07:13 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

For bulk drying should I just use desiccant and fan or is it still cost effective to keep the dehydrator?

--------------------

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3330561 - 11/07/04 07:18 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

depends on what you mean by bulk. I use 2 drying chambers for all my crops. I'll let you do the math, but I get about 150g per cake, 400g per casing. I have 32 cakes and 5 casing at the moment.

I've modified my chambers to have 2 levels, but here's an old pic of it..

Sam

--------------------

Offlineoddiseus
The PsychofunkFirefly

#3330584 - 11/07/04 07:23 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

is that a tyvek filter in the front?
So do you think I should return the dehydrator and invest the money into building a semi heatless unit similar to yours??

are you pulling or pushing the air into the bin?

--------------------

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3330619 - 11/07/04 07:32 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I'm pulling. I wanted the air to come in through the filter. No, that's a coffee filter. Don't need tyvek here, no worries about contam at this point.

As far as the dehydrator, it's upto you. I've heard they are noisy as hell. And having containers like this let you control the temp by choosing where you want to put them. I can even tuck it away infront of the AC if I really wanted to... I deal with computers for a living, so the parts cost me nothing. Just 30cents for the filters(I'm not a coffee drinker and had to buy them.) and the container which was $5 each. Power supply is old computer power supply, again free. But if you have to go around and find these things, the cost can add up fairly quick... so you have to decide what you want to do.

Sam

--------------------

Edited by Sam1912 (11/07/04 07:36 PM)

Offlineoddiseus
The PsychofunkFirefly

#3330703 - 11/07/04 07:50 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I use these fans like crazy for my aquaculture I probably have 5 laying around somewhere. The thing is these 5 dont have a power supply, the others came with AC adapters. What should I power them with?

Also is that a shelf you put in the bottom?
It looks like a lid that has been cut and inserted. Do you just lay them on that or paper towels.

Sorry so many questions. I got this far and I just want to do it right.

-ODD

--------------------

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3330733 - 11/07/04 07:59 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

NP. yeah, that's the cutout from the lid. I've made a new one with plastic mesh to replace it so I can have 2 levels. I needed more space. You can power your fans with whatever. It's dry atmosphere and you don't have to worry as much as you do with terrariums here.

I harvest using foil, then lay the foil down on the mesh. Mushrooms stick a little as they dry and foil keeps my chambers and mesh clean.

Sam

--------------------

Offlineoddiseus
The PsychofunkFirefly

#3330749 - 11/07/04 08:05 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

sorry if I'm missing something here.
You say that you are using a plastic mesh for a lid. Does that mean your chamber is open to the elements?? do you have a picture of the mesh you use??

--------------------

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3330779 - 11/07/04 08:16 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

no.. I'm talking about that shelf looking thing. That was made from a cutout of one of PMPs. I've replaced it so that I have 2 shelves inside the chamber made from plastic mesh.

I have a good mating lid for the chamber.

Yeah, I can upload pictures once wife gets back. She's got our camera at the moment.

Sam

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Dehydrator, Dessicant

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation