Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineHallowSirens
SmokeMeSome
Loc: Southern ontario
What should casing smell like?
    #3330228 - 11/07/04 05:47 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I have just cased 3 jar's, with one layer of perilite, then vermiculite, then the broken up cakes, then more vermiculite all in a 8'' round tub. I took the lid of to let it breathe a bit and i noticed a sweet almost apple smell. I have did my best in sterilizing all involved ingredients and do not detect any contaminants. Is there any way of detecting cob-web mold from myclium. Thanks for the help.

plz. reply to my email @ hallowsirens@hotmail.com

--------------------
~Im not a slave to a god that doesn't exist, and im not a slave to a world that doesn't give a shit.~

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCornelius
Heinous Anus
Male User Gallery

Loc: T.O.
Re: What should casing smell like? [Re: HallowSirens]
    #3330255 - 11/07/04 05:56 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I haven't cased with pure vrn before - I always use coir - but I fing that my casing/cakes usually have a slightly sweet smell. I would say inless the odour isn't overwhelming, they're probably alright.

As far as the myc/cobweb - it's sometimes hard to tell, but if you could provide a pic, then you might get better advice - I would also post any of the contamination related questions in the contamination forum.

--------------------
Even as the nineteenth century had to come to terms with the notion of human decent from apes, we must now come to terms with the fact that those apes were stoned apes. Being stoned seems to have been our unique characteristic.

- Terence McKenna

1946 - 2000

InvisibleSearch59
Yet anotherhobby for me.

Re: What should casing smell like? [Re: HallowSirens]
    #3330264 - 11/07/04 05:58 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I once accidentally left non-PCd substrate in a closed container for 2 days on the table. It grew fluffy pure white cottony like growths, and stank like rank old milk. Thats the only exp i have with smelling something I KNEW was bad. There wasn't even that much growth in it, but it was very strong smelling. I would imagine if the strength of the smell that you have keeps increasing, your prolly smelling a bad growth. If you smell your myclium before you case it, you will know what it should smell like. I pretty sure the smell shouldn't deviate much from it. And based on the strain, i don't think anyone can tell you how it should smell, unless they have the same strain.

--------------------
The only beneficiaries of Prohibition were bootleggers(drug makers), crime bosses(drug pushers), and the forces of big government(DEA).
(wheres the benefit for the consumer?)

You gotta check this out.
http://www.di.fm/mp3/chillout96k.pls

Ride the wave of the mellow fractal rainbow!

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Re: What should casing smell like? [Re: Search59]
    #3330333 - 11/07/04 06:15 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I had a couple of contammed cakes that I tried to case a while back, broke all the contam off etc..

After 4 days, the casing smelled exactly like you put it, a slightly sweet but still acrid apple smell.

It was toast.

Offlinemagnus31337
Stranger

Loc: North America
Re: What should casing smell like? [Re: discman1]
    #3330540 - 11/07/04 07:11 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Slightly off topic here but.. Who thinks verm/brown rice flour smells and looks like oatmeal cookie batter?! I mean come on. Also, I'm thinking about tasting it next time to compare with oatmeal cookie batter.

--------------------
Patience is a virtue.

OfflineHallowSirens
SmokeMeSome
Loc: Southern ontario
Re: What should casing smell like? [Re: discman1]
    #3334013 - 11/08/04 07:57 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Serious.. DAMN.. thats like my third batch that shitted out and had to be tossed..

What if i let it go until it spawned some mushrooms? Would i be able to tell for sure from them? (Say, if they had mutations etc.)

And also, is breathing bad cakes really bad for you.??

--------------------
~Im not a slave to a god that doesn't exist, and im not a slave to a world that doesn't give a shit.~

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation