Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
solutionez to problemez
    #3330035 - 11/07/04 12:22 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I'm leaving today until later and i need some big help to come back to...here's the gist.

my friting chamber is 2' long'1' wide, and 8 inches high. ther's 2" of perlite and i had WAY too much water in it before, so it's under an inch now with 2" of Perlite. I had too much humidity and i definately misted too much b/c cobweb formed. i cut it out, took water out of the bottem and put it all back in the chamber with what is described above. I cracked the lid for more air exchange to help with the saturation of the casing.

The casing soil is saturated from too much moisture, and so is the substrate. concidering the casing soil is deep...there's about an inch or so on top...that means there's a good amount of water in there that's in excess; as opposed to a thin layer which would be an easier problem to solve. so does that mean the substrate sandwiched in the middle is destroyed? Is there any way to save mycelium if it gets water in it? Maybe take the casing layer off....do a magic trick, (that's where all your genious comes in) and put new casing on? I'm worried this casing has been saturated to death.

an idea comes to mind...would shining my lamp on it be harmful other than helping to dry it out?...which is what i need desperately right now. or maybe laying paper towels on top to soak some excess wetness up? or is there a different way to get the moisture out of the soil AND substrate as well? Thanks so much and i look forward to any help you can give me!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
 User Gallery

Loc: In your dreams
Re: solutionez to problemez [Re: drummindreadhead]
    #3330068 - 11/07/04 12:35 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I have a hard time understanding an 'oversaturated' substrate when people submerge them in water completely for 24 hrs in between flushes to rehydrate. I must be missing something.

This isnt a criticizm to your post, its more an on topic observation. Im too new at this to know whether or not your substrate is destroyed, but bump for the pros to fill us in. Sounds like a valid concern.

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
- Albert Einstein (1875-1955)

"A is A" -Aristotle

Re: solutionez to problemez [Re: call_me_kido]
    #3330698 - 11/07/04 07:48 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

yea i'm dumb...lamps could create lots of heat i know.....--slap--

Loc: Cali
Re: solutionez to problemez [Re: call_me_kido]
    #3330719 - 11/07/04 07:55 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I'm just having a hard time following your thoughts...

Condensation is caused by temp difference... There should be no condensation on your casing from humidity, so don't blame humidity for that. If you are misting, take it easy. Don't use light to try to dry it off. Fan. Fan... fan...... It might take you 5 minutes, but keep fanning. Then mist very lightly over it and close the pod.

I don't understand how you can gauge if substrate is too wet? Are you digging through your casing? Don't do that. Let it be. I think you are thinking too much and not informed very well about humidity.

Too much water will drop the humidity in the pod not raise it. I have my casings in the PMPs with 99% humidity without any problems. Unless you see water droplets or standing water, you are still in the green.

And cobweb? Well, you can get cobwebs in any humidity. You don't need high humidity to grow cobwebs. It means you'll have to be careful. Possibly install a inline filter for the pumps and do a thorough cleaning of your room.

I'm sorry, man. I'm just really confused as to what you are blaming on what and why. Maybe some follow-ups to clarify some of them, huh?

Anyways, good luck

Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Re: solutionez to problemez [Re: Sam1912]
    #3330817 - 11/07/04 08:30 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

thanks man, just to clarify then.

Water droplets were definately on all sides, this is what was convincing me it was too much misting, less-so the perlite. But i read my post and i guess you maybe read "saturation" and thought condensation? i realized the substrate was wet when i cut into the casing to remove the cobweb. i cut in through the casing once and saw that the substrate was very moist. Should it be this way? sorry if i'm worry too much. i just want my babies to see the sky!

I read that cobweb contamination is caused by too much humidity in the cantam search here. so i looked at the tub and saw there was over an inch of water in the tub as well as the water droplets...so after getting it out, and getting the cobweb out i put it all back in with the lid displaced for more air flow.

Now, i just checked and the casing soil is doing better. so fanning is the best i can do at this point, and just make sure the temp and humidity stay the same which i have a good hold on now.
This is my first grow, so sorry about being over anxious. Any help on how else to deal with cobweb?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation