Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Man despondent over Bush win commits suicide at Ground Zero
    #3329782 - 11/07/04 09:54 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Man commits suicide at Ground Zero

BY ROCCO PARASCANDOLA, DEBORAH MORRIS AND SEAN GARDINER
Staff Writers

November 6, 2004, 7:11 PM EST

Distraught over the re-election of President George W. Bush, a Georgia man traveled to New York City, went to Ground Zero and killed himself with a shotgun blast, police said yesterday.

The suicide victim, Andrew Veal, 25, was discovered just before 8 a.m. yesterday when a worker for the Millennium Hotel looking at Ground Zero from an upper floor saw a man lying atop the concrete structure through which the 1 and 9 subway lines run.

The worker, thinking the man was sleeping, alerted colleagues and the Port Authority police were notified.

But when they got to Veal's body, they realized he had killed himself with a shot to the head from a .12-gauge shotgun.

No suicide note was found, but according to a Port Authority police source, family members said Veal, a registered Democrat, was despondent over Bush's defeat of Sen. John Kerry. A second source said Veal, who lived in Athens, Ga., and worked for the University of Georgia, was also adamantly opposed to the war in Iraq.

More than three years after the Sept. 11 terror attacks, Ground Zero remains a top tourist attraction, the site rife with symbolism.

Visitors there yesterday reacted in different ways to news of Veal's suicide. Bobbie Jensen, 54, a Republican from Phoenix, said that while she understood how Bush's victory disturbed those who dislike him, Ground Zero is not the place to act on those emotions.

"You can be upset about the war, about Bush, but this is a sacred place," she said. "You got to accept what happened and not kill yourself." But Frank Franca, an East Village artist and registered Democrat, suggested the suicide was symbolic.

"I'm very moved by it," he said. "Obviously, this person was devastated. I can see why he would come here."

Franca's friend, Jeffim Kuznetsov, a 25-year-old student from Russia who lives in Atlanta, said the suicide is evidence of how deeply many Americans were affected by Kerry's defeat.

"It's a national tragedy," he said. "This election is devastating to all who believe in democracy." (:smirk:)

Another visitor to Ground Zero, Arushi Raval, 34, a businesswoman who lives in Chelsea, said Veal might have been active in campaigning for Kerry, only to taste defeat.

"Maybe he felt ineffective," she said of the victim. "You feel ineffective if you tried and it all failed.

"I know so many New Yorkers who are depressed over this."

Copyright ? 2004, Newsday, Inc. 

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/newyor...ynews-headlines

So is the lesson to be learned from this when you don't get your way, you give up and kill yourself? Over an election?  :confused:

I realize that this was very impactful on everybody, but fuck, to kill yourself?  Do you think this helps or hurts their cause?

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Edited by HagbardCeline (11/07/04 09:57 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSteinM
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Man despondent over Bush win commits suicide at Ground Zero [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #3329849 - 11/07/04 10:30 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

:rotfl:
Im sorry, but thats just plain funny someone would take their own life because they didn't win something.  Personally I believe he planned suicide before the election. Then he figured he'd make the morning newspapers by saying he committed suicide because of the election.  What a waste.

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: Man despondent over Bush win commits suicide at Ground Zero [Re: Stein]
    #3329971 - 11/07/04 11:41 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Good riddance, ya damn loony. If you're too much of a pussy to stay in America and make some change in the system, you deserve to die like this dude.

America isn't much of a democracy right now, but we can make it back into what it once was. Dead weight (pun intended :lol: ) like this guy is not needed, nor wanted.

InvisibleGreat_Satan
prophet of God
 User Gallery

Re: Man despondent over Bush win commits suicide at Ground Zero [Re: DNKYD]
    #3329989 - 11/07/04 11:50 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

You leftists are responsible for this. By creating all these lies about George Bush you drove a gullible man to suicide.

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: Man despondent over Bush win commits suicide at Ground Zero [Re: Great_Satan]
    #3329996 - 11/07/04 11:53 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Great_Satan said:
You leftists are responsible for this. By creating all these lies about George Bush you drove a gullible man to suicide.

I'm thinking I sense some sarcasm..... no?
He drove himself to suicide. As for the lies, Dumbya has an easy time providing all the lies we need. Leftists can suck my left nut, Rightists can suck my right nut.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Man despondent over Bush win commits suicide at Ground Zero [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #3330029 - 11/07/04 12:16 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Man....the last time I was in New York, I had a blast...but not like
that.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #3332289 - 11/08/04 06:59 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

atleast it had a happy ending.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Re: Man despondent over Bush win commits suicide at Ground Zero [Re: Great_Satan]
    #3332329 - 11/08/04 07:27 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

By creating all these lies about George Bush

Perhaps you'd like to list these lies of the damn "leftists"?

--------------------
Always Smi2le

OfflineMushmonkey
shiftlesslayabout
 User Gallery

Re: Man despondent over Bush win commits suicide at Ground Zero [Re: GazzBut]
    #3332346 - 11/08/04 07:37 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I've just got one thing to say about that guy

... wow what a tool

--------------------
i finally got around to making a sig
revel in its glory and quake in fear at its might
grar.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion