Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebluethumb
Stranger
Pressure Cooker Substitute for P.F. jars
    #3328739 - 11/06/04 10:36 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I ran across one of these at a second hand store for $10 and they can be found for under $20 on ebay. It is sterilizer for baby bottles but could fit close to 12 wide mouth half pints I would guess. I'll try to pick one up soon. You just add water below the built in rack, put in your jars and lock on the dome. Microwave away baby! The thing seems solid and could simplify things for a lot of people. Check out the link and pik.
bluethumb

http://store.babycenter.com/comments/feedi...terilizers/3261

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: Pressure Cooker Substitute for P.F. jars [Re: bluethumb]
    #3328774 - 11/06/04 10:46 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

you still have to boil that thing. And there is no need to PC PF jars anyways. I think it's waste of money.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinephantasm
DXM GURU
Re: Pressure Cooker Substitute for P.F. jars [Re: Sam1912]
    #3328794 - 11/06/04 10:52 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

yeah i agree i just boil my jars anyway so thats not a real help

-mike

--------------------
Only God Grows Amanita Muscaria

Offlinebluethumb
Stranger
Re: Pressure Cooker Substitute for P.F. jars [Re: phantasm]
    #3328806 - 11/06/04 10:55 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

you can boil or just throw this thing in the microwave. what ever floats your boat.
bluethumb aka alder_057

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3328883 - 11/06/04 11:31 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Oh yeah.. if you really want to improve sterilizing PF jars and you don't want to but a PC, get a steamer basket. It's like $5.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

OfflineBrady
randomizer
Loc: on a damn island , FL
    #3329330 - 11/07/04 02:10 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

ok so why do you have to boil it? Ive heard people say microwaving doesn't work.. but , why? I thought it was because new air gets sucked into the microwave, so wouldnt this solve that? what exactly is the reason why microwaves dont work? heat is heat right? you would think it would work if it is contained like this.. If someone has done sterilizeing in the microwave with good results, please.. speak up.

--------------------
I love to trade , trade with me!

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Re: Pressure Cooker Substitute for P.F. jars [Re: Brady]
    #3329571 - 11/07/04 05:10 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

It's how microwave works. Microwave uses magnetron to create a wave that resonate with H-O bond of the water. Resonance gets high enough, it'll break the bond causing the energy of the bond to be released. This kind of causes domino affects. Water molecures held together by weak bond also breaks because molecular polarity of the water is lost when H-O bond breaks.

It causes localized areas of extreme temperature. Even steam will resonate with microwave and what you get is a lot of hot spots.

How does this affect the effectiveness of the sterilization? Well, in PF jars, the pressure built will overcome the seal and will break through the seal(tape or plastic lids) and unknown amount of moisture will be lost. The local hot spot will melt platic lids. Metal lids can't be used because that'll deflect the microwave back to magnetron causign damage to it. Local hot spot will melt and burn substrate. I don't mean fire, but BRF will be toasty. Even if you make it through without damage, because not all the area will be heated for sufficiently for a long time(that is if you want to avoid damage) you can't be sure if all the contaminants have been nuked.

For sterilization of verm alone, you have sufficient amount of water to keep the verm from melting. But if you nuke it for 20 minutes, even with water, you'll see a lot of degradation of verm just like over-nuked pizza. This is something we don't need to deal with. For jars, it's easy enough to PC or boil.

Sam

--------------------

OfflineBrady
randomizer
Loc: on a damn island , FL
    #3330915 - 11/07/04 09:03 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

ok but isnt this why the microwave spins it around in a circle to distribute the heat.. If you use number 5 plastics you dont have to worrie about anything melting. If the microwave does not serilize then why do such baby devises say they sterilize?

--------------------
I love to trade , trade with me!

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Re: Pressure Cooker Substitute for P.F. jars [Re: Brady]
    #3331213 - 11/07/04 10:25 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Microwave doesn't transfer heat. The microwave cause the water to break and that's the source of heat. But water has to be exposed to microwave for so long before its resonance breaks the bond. It's somewhat uncontrolled where the break occurs. Spinning it helps with even exposure, but no way does it make heating close to even.

Also microwave only penetrate about 1/2-1". The depth is not power dependant, but density dependant. So, that attributes to even more even heating.

Sam

--------------------

OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #3331241 - 11/07/04 10:32 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

u can get a PC for less than 10 bucks at a second hand shop

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Pressure Cooker Substitute for P.F. jars [Re: Legoulash]
    #3331744 - 11/08/04 01:11 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

A microwave can sterilize a bottle enough for baby feeding but in case you hadnt noticed, what goes into mushrooms jars is a bit thicker then what goes into a babies bottle. That thing is a waste of money and there is a reason jars and microwaved or done in the oven. PC or boil or take your chances with failure. Makes no nevermind to me..I got lots of mushrooms :smile:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation