Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJoops
Stranger
5 grow bags, 5 contams... is it possible? Yellow, Green, Nothing
    #3327744 - 11/06/04 03:34 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I have 5 grow bags that I injected on the same date. After a week three bags showed real good mycelium, and two were dead. The two 'dead' ones, after 10 days, are loose grain and show a quarter size white area on the top of the bag as seen at www.livefromhawaii.com/deadbags.jpg

Now the other three bags... looked good for a week until I peeped on them now. All three bags are showing green formation inside! Is this mold contams? What the heck? group shot: www.livefromhawaii.com/greenbags.jpg
heres a closeup:
www.livefromhawaii.com/bag1.jpg
www.livefromhawaii.com/bag2.jpg

I don't understand. I bought the pre sterilized bags for my first grow and this is how they are. I was careful while injecting on my part; flamed the needle before each injection until glowing red and cleaned the injecting site with 99% alcohol.

Anyone have any ideas what is wrong here? Did I possibly get un-sterilized bags, or just contam'd bags? What to do?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinephantasm
DXM GURU
Re: 5 grow bags, 5 contams... is it possible? Yellow, Green, Nothing [Re: Joops]
    #3327755 - 11/06/04 03:39 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

or a contamned syringe or maybe you weren't quite as careful as you thought

as for the dead bags i dont see whats wrong with them skae them up and then leave them be for a little while they look fine

-mike

--------------------
Only God Grows Amanita Muscaria

OfflineEuphoricDisaster
CultivationProdigy

Loc: Where the good times roll...
Re: 5 grow bags, 5 contams... is it possible? Yellow, Green, Nothing [Re: Joops]
    #3327758 - 11/06/04 03:41 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I cant tell you what to do, but those bags dont look good at all. Ide say they are contamed, but thats my opinion, lets see what more experienced cults have to say.

--------------------

-------------------------------------------------
Prying open My "Third Eye"--Bill Hicks, Also Tool

OfflineJoops
Stranger
Re: 5 grow bags, 5 contams... is it possible? Yellow, Green, Nothing [Re: phantasm]
    #3327760 - 11/06/04 03:42 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure how I could have been more careful; I took my time, flamed needle to glow red before each injection, and cleaned the injection site with 99% alcohol. Everything was looking good for a week, nice white mycelium then suddenly this green appears!

Quote:

phantasm said:
or a contamned syringe or maybe you weren't quite as careful as you thought

as for the dead bags i dont see whats wrong with them skae them up and then leave them be for a little while they look fine

-mike

Offlinephantasm
DXM GURU
    #3327767 - 11/06/04 03:44 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

also you are incubating right???( this could accoutn for the slow growth if you not)

and definitely throw out those yellow/green bags and maybe right an email to the company you got them from and ask if this ever happens most companies are pretty cool about things like that

-mike

--------------------
Only God Grows Amanita Muscaria

OfflineJoops
Stranger
Re: 5 grow bags, 5 contams... is it possible? Yellow, Green, Nothing [Re: phantasm]
    #3327981 - 11/06/04 05:17 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Incubating... I injected them about 10 days ago and the bags have been sitting in a dark closet while the mycelium forms throughout the bags. I will shoot the company an email later. Any pros have any advice how or why this happened, and how to prevent it in the future for others?

Offline4hodmt
AspiringMycologist

#3328298 - 11/06/04 07:12 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

complain to the bag guy, and try seeing if the syringe is Contamed.

--------------------
all posts made by 4hodmt are entirely ficticious. the user 4hodmt has noa ffiliation with any company, or organization; any endorsements made by 4hodmt are to be considered a joke. any similarity between a person (or story) 4hodmt is talking about is entirely happenstance. 4hodmt is not to be taken seriously under any circumstance. furthermore, he does not know what he is talking about. Please ignore anything 4hodmt has to say.

_______

"Trust me, I'm from the future.

Actually I'm not from the future, but I did lived there for a while."

- Baby Hitler

OfflineJoops
Stranger
Re: 5 grow bags, 5 contams... is it possible? Yellow, Green, Nothing [Re: 4hodmt]
    #3328848 - 11/06/04 11:11 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the reply, 4hodmt. It seems its not the syringe, as you notice the bags aren't all doing the same, two just sit there without forming much anything... Will contact the bag people and see what they can say and do.

thanks all

Offlinecall_me_kido
Philosopher
 User Gallery

Loc: In your dreams
    #3329731 - 11/07/04 08:54 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Although this may seem redundant, I dont really see the merit in buying presterilized bags. It isnt necessarilly the providers fault, many things can happen to packages in transit.

If you want something done right, do it yourself. Assuming you know how to do it right. Invest some time and practice on sterlization and inoculation technique. ITs either the tools or the technique at fault, why not knock off 50% of the possibilities and do it yourself. Grab some myco bags and fix the substrate up yourself. Much more rewarding that way also...and likely much cheaper. JMO

Kido

--------------------
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
- Albert Einstein (1875-1955)

"A is A" -Aristotle

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation