Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Brown Rice Flour

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ohio
Officer Accidently Killed Enforcing Possesion Laws
    #3327531 - 11/06/04 02:09 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

http://gritsforbreakfast.blogspot.com/2004/11/officer-killed-enforcing-pot.html

------

Thursday, November 04, 2004

Officer Killed Enforcing Pot Possession Law
An Austin police officer was killed in my neighborhood the other night, right over near the Sam's Barbecue. Initial reports in the Statesman of the officer's death said that Officer Amy Donovan and her partner were looking for "drug dealers and prostitutes" when she started chasing a suspect for "acting suspiciously" (registration required to Statesman links). She took off on foot. Her partner followed in the car driving in reverse (they were both rookies), and accidentally ran over and killed her.

Now it turns out the truth is more mundane than drug dealers and suspicious activity: Yesterday the Statesman reported she and her partner smelled marijuana, so they rousted four suspects and chased one of them when he ran. That's right, she was killed trying to arrest a someone for sparking a joint. According to the Statesman,

"Patrolling an alley behind East 13th Street, Austin police officer Amy Donovan and fellow rookie Adrian Valdovino had spotted a Chrysler with at least two people inside and two others outside the driver's-side door.

"They also smelled marijuana, according to court documents released Wednesday.

"That led them to investigate further, prompting a chain of events that ended in Donovan's death.

"When one of the suspects fled, Donovan gave chase while Valdovino tried to use the patrol car to block the fleeing man, according to the documents. The car struck Donovan, pinning her against a utility pole.

"Donovan, a 37-year-old mother of four, died at Brackenridge Hospital about three hours later, becoming Austin's first female officer to die in the line of duty."

Officer Amy Donovan died to enforce a Class B misdemeanor pot possession law.

Truly, how many senseless victims will the drug war claim before we're no longer willing to pay the cost? The Travis County Jail can't find space for casual drug users, but trying to arrest a pot smoker literally cost this young woman her life.

Please don't think in any way I'm blaming Officer Donovan or trying to score political points off her tragedy. I honestly sympathize with her family and coworkers. It's an irrational system I blame. I find it unthinkable that an idealistic person with her whole life ahead of her died over something so trivial. I could care less if Nicholas Jarmon gets high. That's nothing compared to society's interest in preventing common circumstances so quickly leading to tragedy.

Jarmon's decision to flee could now cost him 2 to 20 years in prison, since evading arrest becomes a second degree felony in Texas when a death is involved. That the incident may destroy his life, too, increases the costs mightily. Obviously no one intended for this to happen.

Just two weeks ago I blogged about a young man in East Texas who was shot by a drug task force cop when he fled over a marijuana possession beef. I suppose the harshest law and order maven might claim the two incidents together justified the cycle, that the death of the police officer justified harsh tactics in the drug war like chasing down and shooting someone over pot possession. I take no comfort from any of it. All I see is a growing body count that I can't justify.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
Re: Officer Accidently Killed Enforcing Possesion Laws [Re: baraka]
    #3327751 - 11/06/04 03:37 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

jesus

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Officer Accidently Killed Enforcing Possesion Laws [Re: gdman]
    #3327806 - 11/06/04 04:00 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Let me get this straight here...

Person flees from police. Police chase suspect. Police A kills Police B by accident, person gets the blame.

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
Re: Officer Accidently Killed Enforcing Possesion Laws [Re: baraka]
    #3330434 - 11/07/04 06:42 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I just had this conversation with my 'drug hating' friend over this story.

me = shmoke a little shminith
friend = hahaha, brown rice

shmoke a little shminith says:
police officer ran over and killed his partner for chasing a guy who was smoking pot http://gritsforbreakfast.blogspot.com/2004/11/officer-killed-enforcing-pot.html . Yet another pointless tragedy because of The War on Drugs

hahaha, brown rice says:
the one who killed her is the dealer resisting arrest. Police, and soldiers die for the public good, that is their job that is what they are paid for. When a soldier dies in Iraq they are dying for our freedoms, when a police officer dies enforcing the law they die for our freedoms. pointless? perhaps to thouse who do not value our society

dude, she was killed by her partner chasing a guy smoking a joint, THAT's the pointless part. if they just let people be these stupid deaths won't happen

hahaha, brown rice says:
accidents happen in war

and the guy wasn't a dealer, and he wasn't resisting arrest

hahaha, brown rice says:
friendly fire, technical failure. he was resisting arrest they were chasing him as he resisted arrest

he ran away because he didn't wanna get thrown in jail for somethign as trivial as lighting up a doobie

hahaha, brown rice says:
resisting arrest

another kid, 18 years old, is going to jail for 8 years for admitting he was going to sell 3.5 g of magic mushrooms, some murders and rapists dont' get 8 years..

hahaha, brown rice says:
if he didnt want to get thrown in jail for somthing as trivial as killing someone it would still be resisting arrest

smoking a joint is not even in the same ballpark as killing somebody

hahaha, brown rice says:
then murders and rapists should get more time, not him less. anyways im not about to argue this now i gotta take care of some stuff with my sis

no, he shouldn't even go to jail, smoking a joint doesn't make you a criminal, no matter how much the DEA wants to make you believe that

hehe yea, later man

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
Re: Officer Accidently Killed Enforcing Possesion Laws [Re: chodamunky]
    #3330457 - 11/07/04 06:47 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

it was clearly her partner's fault, police are trained in the art of pursuit, the partner fucked up.

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

InvisibleBoom
Supervisor
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Cypress Creek
Re: Officer Accidently Killed Enforcing Possesion Laws [Re: chodamunky]
    #3330503 - 11/07/04 07:01 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

chodamunky said:

(in my best Samuel L. Jackson impression)

Ballpark? It ain't even in the same mothafuckin' league

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
Re: Officer Accidently Killed Enforcing Possesion Laws [Re: Boom]
    #3330942 - 11/07/04 09:14 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Booooom said:
Quote:

chodamunky said:

(in my best Samuel L. Jackson impression)

Ballpark? It ain't even in the same mothafuckin' league

lol

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Brown Rice Flour

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service