Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedrummindreadhead
artificial/natural light
    #3327087 - 11/06/04 08:50 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

i hae a regular 120 W Bulb as my light and heat source. i got a 500 W but it does not seem necessary considering i can regulate temp this way. This is what i have to do with what i have, and i ahve sunlight beaming in as well so i can add some natuarl good to the process. Is having the lamp as my prodominant light source ok of the soon to pin little guys? thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: artificial/natural light [Re: drummindreadhead]
    #3327520 - 11/06/04 12:06 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

You got way to much light man. First off get them out of direct sunlight. If they can stay in partial sunlight then remove all other lights and just give them INDIRECT sunlight. UV rays from the sun will harm them but after light bounces off something UV is pretty much gone and your shrooms will be safe. If you can't keep them in indirect sunlight then put in a 15 watt compact flouro (or the smallest bulb you have) and put that on them for 12 hours a day until pins and then 1-4 once they start pinning. Not the best thing to use for heat and unless your temp is cooler then 70 you shouldnt be heating it anyway.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinedrummindreadhead
Re: artificial/natural light [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3327717 - 11/06/04 01:22 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

they're not in direct sunlight don't worry. i'm just keeping the lamp on to keep the temp up around 74. The closet door stays open during the day to get sunlight indirectly. The temperature gets pretty bitter where i am in the winter and at night it has an effect on the temp of the room. if without a heat source regardless of what it is, is it ok if the temp drops to the mid-upper 60's every once in a while - kinda like how temps would rise and fall day and night in the outdoors? how low the can i let the temp get and still have good results as this casing starts to pin soon? thanks for the imput scat

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
    #3327728 - 11/06/04 01:27 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Scat is right, that light is way too intense. If any direct light is hitting your cakes, it will dry them out. The heat the light is putting off is a very dry heat. That's why you want to heat the water and in turn have that heat the air in your chamber.

Herein lies the problem with using a light as a heat source. You need it on 24/7 to regulate the temperatures. It will not work when you need to cut it back to only being on for 6 hours/day after pinning.

You need a heat source independant of lighting.

Offlinedrummindreadhead
Re: artificial/natural light [Re: discman1]
    #3327764 - 11/06/04 01:43 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

ok, well i have a mini water heater, and i'm thinking of trying this heatbomb. my predicament really is that i don't need much more heat. It's at 73.6 now since it's a nice day and my door's been closed in my room from staying in and doing stuff today. 2 questions then:

1-is it ok if the temp drops to the mid-upper 60s at night or when it's cold...or is too much fluxuation of temp bad for indoor cultivation. I'd think it'd be ok, since it's what mushrooms are used to putting up with being they come from the wild.

2-If i turned the lamp upwards, thus giving what's below the light INDIRECT light, would that be a fix to at least keep the temp up a little when needed and also to introduce light as well when the need arises.

i'm not in a good financial state at all, which is why i'm trying to make do with what i have and get ideas from you guys about what's possible. thanks for all your patience and advice!

Offlinephantasm
DXM GURU
    #3327773 - 11/06/04 01:48 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

for light i use 2 20 watt grow lights ( florescent ) and it seems to work fine for me i think that the timing of light is much more important than the amount

1. my temps in my terraium drop into the low 70s at night once they dropped to mid 60s which was nice cause it seems to have triggered pinning but i usually try to keep them at optimum as much as possible i dont think dropping that low would be goog for the little shroomies and definitely not for myc growth

-mike

--------------------
Only God Grows Amanita Muscaria

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
    #3327774 - 11/06/04 01:48 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I went through the same thing. It was warm here, and my temps were fine. Then it started getting colder, so I thought I'd use my light(A 10Watt mini-compact fluorescent. Then I started getting pins, so I didn't want the light on 24/7.

My solution was to go out and buy a heating pad. I found a 55W one for 3$ at a thrift store. It's been working great, but the temperatures have dropped here even more, and it is beginning to not be enough, even on high.

I'm going to do a tub in tub as soon as I can... it really is the best method.

As for the low temps, it will slow growth and could possibly reduce yields, so it certainly isn't optimal.

Offlinedrummindreadhead
Re: artificial/natural light [Re: discman1]
    #3327791 - 11/06/04 01:55 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

it's been in the FC for 2 days. would the natural drop in temp to induce pinning be good UNTIL i see pinning? Or just get the damn heating pad to keep it constant?

Offlinedrummindreadhead
    #3327807 - 11/06/04 02:00 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

also...how can you gage how much indirect sunlight to give. is a moderately lit room with the closet door open good?

Offlinephantasm
DXM GURU
    #3327819 - 11/06/04 02:04 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

anylight will do that sounds fine mushrooms will grow if you have the right temperature and humidity conditions even with less than a second of light a day so yeah you should be fine

also if you can just get the temps up in that one room to low 70s than it should be fine i just set the thermostat in my rooom for 72 and whamo perfect temperatures light on and light off cause the pod will trap the heat well enough

-mike

--------------------
Only God Grows Amanita Muscaria

Offlinedrummindreadhead
Re: artificial/natural light [Re: phantasm]
    #3328515 - 11/06/04 07:07 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

i learned a lot today so thanks guys, just a few more ?'s

does a slight drop in temp maybe 65-69 during the night actually be a good thing? In my mind wouldn't it make sense to coldshock a casing? i'm sure this has been brought up before, but it's just a thought to go along with the tmep issue. i guess all i'm saying is maybe the drop every now and then just in this beginning stage will give the guys a wake up call? any harm done?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck