Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Loc: N. Cack
Planting rooted San Pedro
    #3325073 - 11/05/04 03:27 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Hey y'all!  I am so excited, I just recieved in the mail from BBB a 10 inch rooted cutting of San Pedro. Any tips on planting? What size clay pot should I use? Should I wash off the roots? Should I add any fertilizer? I have a cactus soil mix and some perlite and sand and vermiculite that will all go into the potting mix. This is not my first cactus, but my first San Pedro. Any help would be much appreciated.  :grin:

--------------------
"This whole idea that different is bad, that a change in consciousness is in itself harmful, is really one of the fundamental problems inherent in the drug war.” - Rick Doblin
my cactus collection
You vote with your dollars. Everyday. Vote responsibly.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

Re: Planting rooted San Pedro [Re: ToolTroll]
    #3325092 - 11/05/04 03:35 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I've not washed off my roots from BBB and they're just great. Others might advise you to though. I originally had mine in too small a pot. I got screamed at here after posting a pic :smile:

It should be easier to tell since yours has roots, give it enough space on teh sides that the roots can be fully sprawled out and have room, and obviously enough space below too. But, keep in mind that they should dry out pretty easily, so don't get too deep a pot if possible. Mine is a little deep, and though the soil the roots reach dries up on a schedule that I like, the bottom of the pot collects water, even with the hole on the bottom.

I'm not an expert, but I just use the cactus soil mix, which has perlite already mixed into it. it works fine for me. Wait and see what others say. Most importantly, make sure it gets TONS of light, and obviously don't water too often.

--------------------
You're not like the others. You like the same things I do. Wax paper, boiled football leather... dog breath. We're not hitch-hiking anymore, we're riding!

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
Re: Planting rooted San Pedro [Re: Koala Koolio]
    #3325138 - 11/05/04 03:51 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Don't bother with the vermiculite, sand adds nothing to the soil but drainage and if you have a cactus soil mix already you shouldn't need it. In my country at least 50% of the mix needs to be pumice or perlite so you can top it up if necessary. It's also probably a good idea to add a bit of crushed lime stone on top of the mix.

Is it coming into the dormant season where you are?

InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Re: Planting rooted San Pedro [Re: faslimy]
    #3325211 - 11/05/04 04:10 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for some quick responses, guys!
elgr - Yours is in a clay pot, right? Wouldn't it be better to err on the side of too small a pot than too big and risk rot?
faslimy - Is the limestone for pH? Cuz I figured the prepackaged soil would be in a good pH range already. And it is starting to get cold here in the southeastern United States, but it will spend the winter indoors under CFL.
Oh, and BBB is a really fast shipper. Much props!

--------------------
"This whole idea that different is bad, that a change in consciousness is in itself harmful, is really one of the fundamental problems inherent in the drug war.” - Rick Doblin
my cactus collection

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

#3325241 - 11/05/04 04:16 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Well, it depends on your watering schedule and the cactus, roots, and soil mixture. What it comes down to is: are you going to over water it? I'd say its going into winter now anyway, so you shouldn't be watering it too much anyway. If you're not worried about that, I'd go for slightly bigger. And if possible not WAY deeper than it needs to be.

--------------------
You're not like the others. You like the same things I do. Wax paper, boiled football leather... dog breath. We're not hitch-hiking anymore, we're riding!

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
    #3325733 - 11/05/04 06:37 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

look for a short fat pot if you're worried about it, pedro roots grow out a lot more than down.

--------------------
There's a thin line between sanity and insanity... and I just snorted it.

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX
Re: Planting rooted San Pedro [Re: John]
    #3325913 - 11/05/04 07:37 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Root it in a medium sized clay pot. Coir/pearlite works great but normal potting soil with added pearlte works well too.

The only reason why i would consider washing off the roots is because you cant always trust the supplier dosent have any bug problems. A few eggs is all it takes to have an infestation.

Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

Loc: Canada West
    #3326140 - 11/05/04 08:59 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Sorry if I am jacking this thread, but I have a bit of a problem here, somewhat related.

I just got a small cactus from the store. I brought it home and was balancing it in one hand with my groceries. It slipped off and fell to the floor, breaking off. The roots are still in the plastic pot it came in, and the body of the cactus is laying on it side until i do something with it.

I was thinking that I could probably cut the top part off, leaving it as tall as I can (as it is only a couple inches anyway) and let that calous over and plant it, hopefully it will root and stay alive. And maybe the roots will grow a new cactus out of them, you think?

Sorry no camera, but the cactus has 6 ribs, white areols (sp?) and 6 redish / brownish spikes per areol about a centimetre long. ID?

--------------------

We have to answer our own prayers

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX
Re: Planting rooted San Pedro [Re: recalcitrant]
    #3326320 - 11/05/04 11:07 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

The bottom should grow pups, good luck rooting the cutting.

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Re: Planting rooted San Pedro [Re: recalcitrant]
    #3326341 - 11/05/04 11:22 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

most likely myrtillocactus if you got it from wal-mart or hardware store. hard to say with the descrisption you gave and no pic though.

http://www.giardinaggio.it/grasse/fotograsse/myrtillocactus_geometrizans.JPG

and this cactus was planted with only the bottom part and shot out new pups though it might be kinda slow doing so depending of your local weather. cactus are kinda dormant during the winter so don't worry if it dosn't look like it's doing anything for a while.

that one was damaged in a hurricane and i had to chop of a big part of it and it pupped out as well, they always find a way to grow.

--------------------
There's a thin line between sanity and insanity... and I just snorted it.

InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Re: Planting rooted San Pedro [Re: John]
    #3330243 - 11/07/04 03:53 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Just an update on my Pedro. I planted it in a 6" clay pot and just used the cactus soil mix right out of the bag. Then I watered it, and now I plan to ignore it for most of the winter, maybe water it again around New Year's Day. Sound good? Thanks everyone for the advice. Peace!!!

--------------------
my cactus collection

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom