Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinepunkgod94
Stranger
differences b/t cobweb and mycelia (early stage)
    #3325302 - 11/05/04 06:35 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I posted about a few days ago about how my jars weren't colonizing at all due to the coldness in my room. Well, now its been 11 days and in 3 of my 5 jars FINALLY have some sort of growth. It appears to be more cloudy than ropy though. And its really small. I was wondering if anybody has any EARLY pictures of cobweb growth and mycelia growth so I might be able to compare them. I'll try to take a picture of it to post, but I cant guarantee that the quality will be that great with such small growth. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: just tried to take pictures to post, but the growth is too small to be observed on the pictures. And even if it was the flash made the jar shine too much to notice it.

Edited by punkgod94 (11/05/04 06:39 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleKlingonFromUranus
enthusiast

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: differences b/t cobweb and mycelia (early stage) [Re: punkgod94]
    #3325333 - 11/05/04 06:45 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Even tho i can't see it, i'll bet it's myc. Cobweb is cloudy, but it will cover very large portions very quickly with very very thin white to off white contam. The keyword is THIN and cloudy looking. The myc will be more like a SPOT of growth and thicker more robust than the cobweb. Myc is whiter than the cobweb. The small growth sprouting makes me think it's myc. :thumbup:

--------------------

Edited by KlingonFromUranus (11/05/04 06:46 PM)

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

Re: differences b/t cobweb and mycelia (early stage) [Re: KlingonFromUranus]
    #3325339 - 11/05/04 06:46 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Simple suggestion. Does this growth appear in 4 places around the jars? Does it appear underneath the holes in the lid?

--------------------
You're not like the others. You like the same things I do. Wax paper, boiled football leather... dog breath. We're not hitch-hiking anymore, we're riding!

Offlinepunkgod94
Stranger
Re: differences b/t cobweb and mycelia (early stage) [Re: Koala Koolio]
    #3325500 - 11/05/04 07:33 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I only see it in one spot in each jar, not four. But then again when I poured the substrate in the jar I did it loosely so theres some spots where I can't see the holes in between the brown stuff, and some places where I can't. I havent actually looked in the holes on the jar, but I dont think that would matter anyway because the top 2 cm is just vermiculite anyway and from what I understand the mycelium wouldnt grow on that because its just to control moisture, no actual nutrients there.

Glad to hear that I have one vote for mycelium rather than cobweb though :smile: Other people keep sendin your opinions if you can!! Two days ago I checked the jars and there was nothing in there at all, and today I had 3 jars with a little stuff in it. Hopefully my babies shall continue growing :smile:

Offlinepunkgod94
Stranger
    #3325786 - 11/05/04 08:58 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

And as a side comment I just re-read the common contamination page and read about the wet spot mold. I noticed that some of the substrate in my jars appeared wet almost from day 1, but I assumed that was just because of the water in the PC gettin in somehow. Is there any way I can tell for sure? Should I open up one of the jars and look for a smell? I dont wanna contaminate the jar, but I wanna make sure its not wet spot! Thanks again

http://www.shroomery.org/index/the/default/par/23418

OfflineCoolMojo
Imagination iswhat you make ofit
Folding@home Statistics
    #3326160 - 11/05/04 11:14 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

if they looked like that from the start you probly don't have anything to worry about yet. Cobweb is kinda greyish so you'll be able to tell pretty easily. If you're still not sure I'd take the cakes you suspect are contaminated and set them apart from the healthy ones and let them grow out. In a few days you'll really be able to tell if there is any contams.
Good luck

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation