Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFrankieN
Stranger

Brain Decoding
    #3325094 - 11/05/04 05:36 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I just finished reading this article about monkeys controlling robotic arms with their brains at http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2000/monkeys-1206.html, I'm sure alot of you have already heard about this I'm not sure if anyones posted about it here, but that's some amazing stuff. I've been reading and listening to alot of Terence Mckenna lately and while I was reading about this experiment I couldn't help but think about, of course how this sort of brain science will advance and involve humans in the future, and also how many people like the Mayans and Terence Mckenna predicted that in the year 2012 there will be some sort of major change. Now imagine, right now there just interpreting outgoing signals from the brain, controlling prosthetic limbs, but eventually I'm sure they will figure out how to send signals into the brain, sort of replicating the signals from prosthetic sense organs, thus meaning you could really almost live in a virtual world. And with the rate at which technology is advancing, price to performance doubling almost every year, 200$ for a 2Ghz processor today, in one year 200$ for 4ghz, you get to 64Ghz in only 6 years, and this rapid advancement is not only in technology it's occurring everywhere, some places more then others, especially in the sciences. This is an amazing time, when I was kid I was playing the original Nintendo, people a few years older then me were playing atari, even pong, and just look at what there is today, I can't imagine what kids will be growing up with in 10-20 years, and hopefully I'll live to be at least as old as my grandparents are now, hopefully much older, that gives me a good 60 years, the wright brothers flew the first plane in the 1900's, advance 60 years and you've got jets flying people all around the world, and just recently with the x-prize the first civilian built, reusable rocket, capable of carrying three people flew to the limits of space, so 60 years from now is it that crazy to think that the average person may be travelling in space. I know everybodies probably already thought about this sort of stuff if they've ever seen the matrix, but to think that this really could, and is happening right now is at least for me much different then seeing some big budget sci/fi action flick. I can't wait to see what the future holds. If you never have check out Terence Mckenna, a brilliant, inspiring thinker, to me at least, I good sight for some free recordings of Terence is at mckenna.psychedelic-library.org.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

Re: Brain Decoding [Re: FrankieN]
    #3325158 - 11/05/04 05:55 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Reminds me of the idea of putting a monkey's brain in a robot body.

Would you put your brain in a robot body? You could only be five feet tall, but you'd have the strength of *five gorillas!*!

PS, ignore me.

But, really. This is crazy sci-fi like stuff. I can't believe how far these fields are progressing. On the one hand I'm a big fan of science, and understanding something as complex as signals from the human brain is incredible. Still, I can't help but fear where this is all leading to.

--------------------
You're not like the others. You like the same things I do. Wax paper, boiled football leather... dog breath. We're not hitch-hiking anymore, we're riding!

Offlinerepemon
journeyman
Re: Brain Decoding [Re: Koala Koolio]
    #3326719 - 11/06/04 04:24 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I think that in future we dont have to be putting our brain to these robots. We can simply sit in a controlcenter and have our mind in the robohead and have our mind react to the robobody as if it was our body, instead of putting our brain there to control it. :smile:

I also believe that in the future we dont have to be cutting human brain open to see how it functions, we could simply shut down some parts of brains to see what happens (or something :smile:

--------------------
- When the time stops, evil ones will be pointed out for all to see.

Edited by repemon (11/06/04 04:48 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Terrence McKenna

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience