Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisible1stimer
Religion=Rape
Loc: Amerika
Its official. BUSH STOLE THE ELECTION
    #3324312 - 11/05/04 01:56 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041105/ap_on_el_pr/voting_problems
COLUMBUS, Ohio - An error with an electronic voting system gave President Bush (news - web sites) 3,893 extra votes in suburban Columbus, elections officials said.
ecial Coverages

Franklin County's unofficial results had Bush receiving 4,258 votes to Democrat John Kerry (news - web sites)'s 260 votes in a precinct in Gahanna. Records show only 638 voters cast ballots in that precinct.

Bush actually received 365 votes in the precinct, Matthew Damschroder, director of the Franklin County Board of Elections, told The Columbus Dispatch.

State and county election officials did not immediately respond to requests by The Associated Press for more details about the voting system and its vendor, and whether the error, if repeated elsewhere in Ohio, could have affected the outcome.

Bush won the state by more than 136,000 votes, according to unofficial results, and Kerry conceded the election on Wednesday after acknowledging that 155,000 provisional ballots yet to be counted in Ohio would not change the result.

The Secretary of State's Office said Friday it could not revise Bush's total until the county reported the error.

The Ohio glitch is among a handful of computer troubles that have emerged since Tuesday's elections.

In one North Carolina county, more than 4,500 votes were lost because officials mistakenly believed a computer that stored ballots electronically could hold more data than it did. And in San Francisco, a malfunction with custom voting software could delay efforts to declare the winners of four races for county supervisor.

In the Ohio precinct in question, the votes are recorded onto a cartridge. On one of the three machines at that precinct, a malfunction occurred in the recording process, Damschroder said. He could not explain how the malfunction occurred.

Damschroder said people who had seen poll results on the election board's Web site called to point out the discrepancy. The error would have been discovered when the official count for the election is performed later this month, he said.

The reader also recorded zero votes in a county commissioner race on the machine.

Workers checked the cartridge against memory banks in the voting machine and each showed that 115 people voted for Bush on that machine. With the other machines, the total for Bush in the precinct added up to 365 votes.

Meanwhile, in San Francisco, a glitch occurred with software designed for the city's new "ranked-choice voting," in which voters list their top three choices for municipal offices. If no candidate gets a majority of first-place votes outright, voters' second and third-place preferences are then distributed among candidates who weren't eliminated in the first round.

When the San Francisco Department of Elections tried a test run on Wednesday of the program that does the redistribution, some of the votes didn't get counted and skewed the results, director John Arntz said.

"All the information is there," Arntz said. "It's just not arriving the way it was supposed to."

A technician from the Omaha, Neb. company that designed the software, Election Systems & Software Inc., was working to diagnose and fix the problem.

--------------------
ash dingy donker mo gollyhopper patty popiton rockstop bueno mayo riggedy jig bobber johnathan pattywhacker gogboob t-shirt monkey.

There is such emotion in the distortion.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
Re: Its official. BUSH STOLE THE ELECTION [Re: 1stimer]
    #3324316 - 11/05/04 01:57 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Uggghhhhhhhhh.

I'm all for free speech, but can we lock this? I think there are at least two other threads linking this article.

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #3324657 - 11/05/04 03:22 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

i'm sold, you've changed my mind.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Offlinericelicker
The Dude'sImaginary Friend
 Arcade Champion: Radial Snake

Loc: The Yard
Re: Its official. BUSH STOLE THE ELECTION [Re: Innvertigo]
    #3324737 - 11/05/04 03:48 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Innvertigo said:

I sense a mild hint of dripping sarcasm.

--------------------
"my brain waves travel at half the speed afta we..." -del tha funkee

"Two men looked out through prison bars...one saw the mud, one saw the stars." -anonymous

Invisibleusefulidiot
It's notfascist, it's...Neoconservative!

Re: Its official. BUSH STOLE THE ELECTION [Re: Innvertigo]
    #3324741 - 11/05/04 03:50 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Innvertigo said:

What 'proof' can you offer to suggest that the election wasn't fixed?

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Its official. BUSH STOLE THE ELECTION [Re: usefulidiot]
    #3324746 - 11/05/04 03:52 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

What 'proof' can you offer to suggest that the election wasn't fixed?

That's not how it works bub, the burden of proof is on the side claiming wrong doing.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Its official. BUSH STOLE THE ELECTION [Re: ricelicker]
    #3324750 - 11/05/04 03:53 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

no sarcasm at all, i'm in and believe that there was wrong doing.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Anonymous

#3325177 - 11/05/04 06:01 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

:lol:

i love it. there is a computer glitch which awards bush 3,893 votes in ohio, amounting to less than three percent of his margin of victory, and now... [drumroll]...[/drumroll] it is official... george w. bush not only did not actually win the election... he STOLE IT.

please. keep it coming. this stuff only serves to undermine the last shadow of possible legitimacy the bitching back in 2000 had.

Invisibleretread
-=HasH=-
    #3325523 - 11/05/04 07:40 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

How is Yahoo News "Offical"?

Invisible1stimer
Religion=Rape
Loc: Amerika
Re: Its official. BUSH STOLE THE ELECTION [Re: retread]
    #3327711 - 11/06/04 03:20 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

your denial is beneath you.

--------------------
ash dingy donker mo gollyhopper patty popiton rockstop bueno mayo riggedy jig bobber johnathan pattywhacker gogboob t-shirt monkey.

There is such emotion in the distortion.

Invisibleusefulidiot
It's notfascist, it's...Neoconservative!

#3327747 - 11/06/04 03:35 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

http://www.washingtondispatch.com/spectrum/archives/000715.html

Palm Beach County Logs 88,000 More Votes Than Voters
November 5, 2004 04:56 PM

According to the official election results posted on the Palm Beach County election website, 542,835 ballots were cast for a presidential candidate while only 454,427 voters turned out for the election (including absentee). This leaves a discrepancy of 88,408 votes cast for the presidential candidates.

Palm Beach County's supervisor of elections is Theresa LePore who is known for the 2000 Presidential Election and the notorious "butterfly ballot" that caused confusion among seniors and other Floridians.

Other election oddities occurred throughout Florida with some counties registering a 400% increase in expected voter turnout among Republicans while Democrats supposedly experienced a -60% decline in expected support within certain counties. The 50+ counties experiencing the high percentage fluctuations in expected turnout used optical scan voting machines on November 2nd.

Vote discrepancies were also found in Gahanna, Ohio which gave an extra 4,000 votes to President Bush. The error was explained away by Franklin County administrators as a "glitch" in the electronic voting system.

Update: Palm Beach County has updated their numbers and added 91,802 absentee ballots and 1,041 provisional ballots. The vote totals for president increased by 1,543. To view an archived copy of the previous report, click here. While Palm Beach County appears to have accounted for the discrepancy, this underscores the flaws in the system and data compilation.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion