Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinegotmagog
searching fortruth andlogic...

Loc: Europe
That's it , Weed Makes People "Dumber"
    #3323554 - 11/05/04 07:51 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I have just finished a fat joint. And a thought passed in my mind, I should test this now. I went to www.mensa.org and "took" the online test. I made several questions, decided to postpone some, than became tired and realized I am really dumber and can't do the test.

I have done similar tests last year and scored very high, I have always had "high exam taking skills" and had perfect sats and stuff. But today, at the end of a week of math lectures at day and joints at night, i kust could not concentrate enough to make a test I am sure will score greatly if not stoned right now  :spliff:

I am not high 24/7 and smoke as a reward mainly, after studying and working hard during the day, but still weed makes me a bit less intelligent.

On the other hand, I don't want to criticize marijuana much. It just changes the type of thinking and makes it more appropriate for chilling or wild mind loops, and not for calm analytical thought. But some interesting ideas have come to me while high. For creative tasks without too strict rules, the cannabis mindset passes well. I have succesfully had "insights" while high in math and then when sober organize them better.

So i am still looking for the right balance... What do u think about this?
If my post is too incoherent now i will organize it better later, when more sober  :stoned:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace Flag
Re: That's it , Weed Makes People "Dumber" [Re: gotmagog]
    #3323560 - 11/05/04 07:54 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I do not think marijuana effects me very much. One thing ive noticed if i am super high i have a harder time keeping track off all my units and building in my war3 game then i do when im not.

Dumber, nah. JUst more distracted.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Offlinegotmagog

Re: That's it , Weed Makes People "Dumber" [Re: baraka]
    #3323577 - 11/05/04 07:59 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I also play computer games when high, recently Empire Earth. When high i play even better than normal, the game allows enough freedom to improvise, so my stoned person can play very novel strategies and beat my sober friends in LAN.

OfflineSilven
Male

Loc: El Mexicano
    #3323589 - 11/05/04 08:03 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I notice when I play games if I am high to a certain point I do better, sometimes very much so.

Rarely do I do worse than sober when I am high. I have noticed that I actually have quicker response time, more concentration, and more strategic planning in games like Broodwars, War3, or even Final Fantasy Tactics. Even in games like Unreal Tournament, I generally do much better when I am high if there are no distractions to pull me out of the "zone" so to speak.

--------------------
What do you bring to the table?

Offlinegotmagog

Re: That's it , Weed Makes People "Dumber" [Re: Silven]
    #3323633 - 11/05/04 08:18 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, weed may improve perfirmance in games, but for more serious stuff like IQ tests the decreased concentration is a problem for me.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #3323643 - 11/05/04 08:22 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I definitely wouldn't say marijuana makes people "dumber", though obviously it will affect specific skills while under the influence (just like any mind-altering drug).

I did my own test several years ago when I started to smoke every day. I smoked a large bowl in my bong then set out to do one of the IQ tests on www.cerebrals.com which is a high-IQ society that only accepts the top 0.5% of the intelligence curve (mensa accepts the top 2%). I just went back to the page and cannot find the test I took, but it was a "zero knowledge" test designed to accurately test the IQ of anyone, reguardless of education or language. It consists of a series of character arrays, in which you have to figure out what the last 4 characters are in the array. Each array had 8 lines, I think, and each line was around 20 characters long. It isn't a timed test. I finished it in about 90 minutes.

I scored 142, just a few points shy of being accepted :crazy:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: That's it , Weed Makes People "Dumber" [Re: trendal]
    #3323649 - 11/05/04 08:23 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Also, as was mentioned, marijuana DOES improve performance in some reflex-oriented games. My aim in DOD, and most 1st person shooters, increases dramatically after I've smoked a bowl.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.

Offlinebeejay
some randominternet dude

Loc: The Dark Tower
    #3323668 - 11/05/04 08:30 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I agree with ya Trendal, I ve taken a multitude of IQ tests while being stoned. Everyone has recomended I try for Mensa. I also took theirs and did very well, again while stoned. I would say that smoking affects short term memory, cause one section of one of the tests flashed strings of numbers and testeed your ability to recall them, then you had to remember them backwards. I sucked that section up but still got high scores around 135, which qualifies for Mensa.

I even get stoned before huge tests, I find it helps get rid of any anxiety. I also figure if I study stoned I might as well recall the info while stoned. Just my take.

--------------------
Anjaba said:
Oh shit, don't drink it.... It would eat away your esophagus...
mantis said:
Leave me out of this pissing contest, you fascist wang-dang-doodle!
Hattori Hanzo said:
If on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be cut

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: That's it , Weed Makes People "Dumber" [Re: beejay]
    #3323689 - 11/05/04 08:39 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

My concentration can go WAY up while I'm stoned. Get in the zone and write that test :grin:

--------------------

Offlinebeejay
some randominternet dude

Loc: The Dark Tower
    #3323708 - 11/05/04 08:46 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

hell yeah brother. I love setting the curve on hard ass tests, then while everyone leaves class all pissed at their low scores, I declare how great being a stoner is. People are so shocked that I get such high scores, though they peg me as a pothead. I hate that term, stoner all the way, down with potheads.

--------------------
Anjaba said:
Oh shit, don't drink it.... It would eat away your esophagus...
mantis said:
Leave me out of this pissing contest, you fascist wang-dang-doodle!
Hattori Hanzo said:
If on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be cut

OfflineTurd
Dr. Rock

Loc: Vulva, WA
Re: That's it , Weed Makes People "Dumber" [Re: Silven]
    #3323718 - 11/05/04 08:50 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

yes. I get TONS better at UT2k4 when I'm baked.... I get shittier at pretty much everything else.... but somehow my hand/eye coordination seems to shoot through the roof when stoned and I can pick people off with ease from any distance.

When my roommate (who doesnt smoke) hears that I'm stoned and about to play some UT, he comes in and watches just to see me lay the smack down on hundreds of unsuspecting fools.

OfflineErythroxylon
Stranger

Re: That's it , Weed Makes People "Dumber" [Re: Turd]
    #3324667 - 11/05/04 01:24 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

saying that cannabis is making people dumb is really dumb. there is no evidence whatsoever to back up this. That you do lower on a IQ test doesnt mean that people are getting dumb by smoking a plant it only means that you, as a individual, are using weed either as an excuse for your bad result or weed makes you, like you said, dumber but that is not a general rule. people is very diffrent and weed has a tendency to show what people really are. there is people who can smoke all day and do just as high results on a iq test as they would without. There is people who gets dumb, there is people who gets lazy, there is people who gets creative, there is people who gets silly. but there is no genral rule what weed makes you except one thing

weed makes you feel good :smile:

peace

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: That's it , Weed Makes People "Dumber" [Re: Erythroxylon]
    #3324699 - 11/05/04 01:36 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

weed makes you feel good

And that is the bottom line :smile:

--------------------

OfflinePathos
A million pieces
 User Gallery

Loc: Under the stairs
Re: That's it , Weed Makes People "Dumber" [Re: Erythroxylon]
    #3324701 - 11/05/04 01:37 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

it makes you better at some things and worse at others. As stated, hand eye coordination is greatly improved. Me and my brother used to get really baked and play ping pong for hours, all fast paced and shit. Also helps with video games.

Saying it makes you dumber is misleading because marijuana only affects your performance, be it positive or negative, while stoned. It has no lasting effects after use is discontinued

OfflineSilven
Male

Loc: El Mexicano
Re: That's it , Weed Makes People "Dumber" [Re: Pathos]
    #3324926 - 11/05/04 02:43 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I think that it depends on how apathetic you are right after smoking.

If you are seriously into whatever it is you are doing, you will do better, but if you are apathetic and just sit around, that is what you will dedicate your buzz to.

If I smoke while playing guitar I notice that I can come up with cooler rythyms/riffs as well, and that's not just my opinion, I have had many people tell me that they were impressed with my play a lot more after they hear me play stoned.

Other times if I'm high and sitting around bored and anxious trying to decide what to do and end up playing guitar, I can suck horribly because I'm not in the right mind set.

So in my opinion weed just amplifies your current mind set and can either increase your ability or decrease it depending on that mind set and the significance of the activity in your mind, if that makes any sense.

--------------------
What do you bring to the table?

OfflineRuNE
bomberman

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: tartarus
Re: That's it , Weed Makes People "Dumber" [Re: Turd]
    #3325020 - 11/05/04 03:06 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Your skills in strategy games, shooters, basicaly any simplified video game should be improved while smoking.  Whats the number 1 killer in these games?  Stress.  You get frustrated and you lose concentration, you start losing more and you get even more pissed/stressed.  I think the reason you improve is because you're relaxed.  A gatling gun is pointed in your face and you wont just run around like crazy, you'll be relaxed enought to think of the best way to avoid it and make a comeback.
The key word here is RELAXED.  You think better when you chill.

:sun:

--------------------
~Happy sailing~

Offlineguri
Master of theimprobablitydrive

Loc: PNWish.
Re: That's it , Weed Makes People "Dumber" [Re: RuNE]
    #3325155 - 11/05/04 03:55 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

when im play halo stoned, im like undefeatable by sober people.

--------------------
"If you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, then go home and burn all your records, all your tapes, and all your CDs because every one of those artists who have made brilliant music and enhanced your lives? The Beatles were so fucking high, they let Ringo sing a few songs." --Bill Hicks

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
Re: That's it , Weed Makes People "Dumber" [Re: guri]
    #3325196 - 11/05/04 04:06 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

it has bee proven (dr wiel) that marijuana effects the brain, but in due time does not impair cognative thinking skills...

the more you practice while youre high, the better you will do... just like the more you practice while sober the better you do, its just an "alternate" set of brain functions youre perusing with.

peace

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds