Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineinsanity_420
Beginner
Is this Possible?
    #3323717 - 11/05/04 08:50 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

hey ive always wondered can you get spores from a dried mushroom? i asked this a loooong time ago somewheres else and all i got was one reply of no... Well i found this wonderful place for info and i figure someone in here should know or have a better answer thn just no.
If you get some dried shrooms and the viel isnt broken on it couldnt you just open it and get that print out somehow. Ive always wondered this and thought it could be done if done properly right?
i mean spore prints last for a long time right, so why couldnt this be done?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSilven
Male

Loc: El Mexicano
Re: Is this Possible? [Re: insanity_420]
    #3323726 - 11/05/04 08:53 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Well the problem I see is that chances are if you have dried mushrooms they have been exposed to too much air and probably have collected microscopic spores of contams on them.  Now if you were to take a spore print and you got a few of the contam spores in there, when you make your spore syringe you would be making a contam syringe basically..

There's probably some small chance that it would work contam free, but the chances aren't in your favor IMO.

Better off to use a fresh cap from a controlled grow and follow the spore print teks. :thumbup:

- Silven

--------------------
What do you bring to the table?

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

#3323730 - 11/05/04 08:54 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

You couldn't get a print. If the veil is barely broken like most purchased cubensis, it'd be pretty damn hard. However, if the cap is more open, and its clear that there have been spores released (black gills, etc) then perhaps you could get them to germinate on agar depending on how the mushrooms were stored. Who knows what else will grow. Don't hope for a print or anything concrete, itd be a bit of work if it will work. Also wait until someone with a better answer comes along :smile:

--------------------
You're not like the others. You like the same things I do. Wax paper, boiled football leather... dog breath. We're not hitch-hiking anymore, we're riding!

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
    #3323733 - 11/05/04 08:54 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yes, it is certainly possible. A great many of the spores fall out when the mushroom is dried, but you would get a few from a dried cap.

Offlineinsanity_420
Beginner
Re: Is this Possible? [Re: discman1]
    #3323759 - 11/05/04 09:02 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

yah i thought this could be done. i wish i would have known when i had no way of gettin syringes. Ida started tryin to do this years ago =)
Has anyone ever tried to do this before?

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
    #3323775 - 11/05/04 09:08 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Well, the problem is that after being dried out in the open, handled, stuck in baggies, etc.. the cap is no longer anywhere near sterile.

I think you would have a tough time getting a sterile syringe using an old cap, but it might be possible.

It might be a better idea to cut the cap in half and extract some internal tissue in a glovebox and try to culture that.

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

#3323916 - 11/05/04 09:59 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

From what I've read a completely dry cap's internal tissue won't be capable of growing, unless of course spores from the cap manage to sneak in and germinate.

--------------------
You're not like the others. You like the same things I do. Wax paper, boiled football leather... dog breath. We're not hitch-hiking anymore, we're riding!

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Re: Is this Possible? [Re: Koala Koolio]
    #3323921 - 11/05/04 10:00 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Oh? Yeah, I guess in the thread I read about that, there was some debate as to whether the person that did it germinated the old tissue or a spore that snuck in. Guess I thought the conclusion was that it would be possible to culture dried tissue.

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

#3323936 - 11/05/04 10:05 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

yeah. thats the thread. i'd link to it/reread it but i stumbled upon it accidentally and have no idea what i searched for. i also believe its quite old.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract