Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelunaveggy
Stranger
perilite humidity problems (gr!)
    #3295528 - 10/29/04 09:44 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

so I'd really like to use perilite, I want to fan and watch my babies grow and have a very organic process I can be heavily involved in.

The problem is I can't seem to get this perilite to work, and I fear I will have no choice but go electric.

I have tried 1/4" water to 1" perilite, 1" water to 2" perilite....I got a digital hydrometer today to be sure. The highest it read was 89, and I do not know what else to do.

Is it time to throw in the towel?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSilven
Male

Loc: El Mexicano
Re: perilite humidity problems (gr!) [Re: lunaveggy]
    #3295542 - 10/29/04 09:47 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

How big is your grow chamber?

And was the 89% humidity from the 2" perlite, 1" water?

You may want to try 2" perlite, 1/2" water. The more surface area of perlite that's exposed the more water can be evaporated into the air off it's porous surface.

Depending on the size you may need a humidifier.

- Silven

PS. Curse my damn home dial-up connection.

--------------------
What do you bring to the table?

Invisiblenoxy
Dr
 User Gallery

Loc: its more a time, not a pl...
    #3295556 - 10/29/04 09:52 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

are you using an air stone with an air pump to bubble air up through the pearlite? Its a simple way to improve the RH and can help do a little air exchange

a light misting can work wonders

Edited by noxy (10/29/04 09:53 PM)

OfflineSilven
Male

#3295584 - 10/29/04 10:01 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Also, I forgot to ask in my previous post. How often are you fanning?

The thing with perlite is your humidity is going to drop when you open the container and fan, it will take a while to build back up. Have you left it alone for a few hours and checked the hygrometer? Also a lot of hygrometers are dysfunctional, especially if they've been exposed to high humidity for lengthy time periods. Do you have access to another hygrometer or anything to measure humidity?

- Silven

--------------------

Offlinelunaveggy
Stranger
Re: perilite humidity problems (gr!) [Re: Silven]
    #3295698 - 10/29/04 10:45 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

yeah, the original analog hygrometer (I could have sworn that was spelled with a d...) always read around 70 no matter what, 72 now.

I just got a digital today to confirm and that gave me the 89 after a few hours. I took it out because apparently it's not the type to get wet or have the probe gauge humidity (dumb...)

The container is 72 gallon rubbermaid box that gets fanned maybe...well, every hour if I'm home, but let's say at the very least 4 times a day.

I'm not sure how I would siphon off water that's in there now, especially since so much of it is already absorbed, unless those levels are measuring for absorbtion.

phew. well, I'll probably try an air pump then before I give up and go automated.

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Loc: That Way
    #3295752 - 10/29/04 11:00 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

are you sure your hygrmeter isnt off, that was my problem and i got advised to wrap it in a warm damp/semi wet towel and see what it read

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

Offlineblueloon
mushroommerchant
    #3295788 - 10/29/04 11:10 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

don't fan so much. I just finished my first grow (5 cakes on perlite)and at most I fanned every 3 hrs. and they had to tolerate 7 hrs without fanning because I'm not going to get up in the middle of the night. I just harvested the first flush:

--------------------
radiohead track resource: every officially released version of every song and where to find them

Invisiblemonkeynilla
the bump thatgoes UUGH! inthe night!
Loc: bunghole afghanistan
Re: perilite humidity problems (gr!) [Re: blueloon]
    #3296308 - 10/30/04 04:18 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

get rid of perlite altogether and use paper towels! I got two bags of perlite from spring I never used!
try a double layer well soaked with a mister for awhile and you'll be suprised!

--------------------
you know when you've been out done when you fart under the covers and the wife puts her own head under them!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: perilite humidity problems (gr!) [Re: monkeynilla]
    #3296427 - 10/30/04 05:35 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Using paper towels is bad advice and will be an invitation for contaminants. If you want to use something for molds to grow on then keep it to yourself and dont recommend it to others.

Be sure your hygrometer (different from a hydrometer, which do exist but are useless to us) can read up that high. You can fan as much as you want..just mist (even just one pump over the chamber to fall in on your babies) when you do as needed. If you mist heavily and close the top and check 5-10 minutes later and the hygrometer still hasn't gone higher..I'd say it just won't read that high (many wont even digital onces, and if they do its usually inaccurate).

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleGluckon
From the Crypt

Re: perilite humidity problems (gr!) [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3296499 - 10/30/04 06:09 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Paper towels (althoug i'm not an expert) sounds liek a very bad idea. Just my two copper.

Offlinelunaveggy
Stranger
Re: perilite humidity problems (gr!) [Re: Gluckon]
    #3296947 - 10/30/04 10:17 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

wow! my cakes had been dried to the point of starvation it seems, because though the humidity is at about 89 last time I read, just being in there overnight after dunking and rolling with the light on them for about 14 hours the next day and they're white and fuzzy again!

I think they're even pinning!

I want to express my gratitude, though I was appreciative before the positive results, just wanna spread my joy :smile:

So misting them directly if I can't get the humidity any higher would be cool? It makes sense, since the point of having high humidity is to keep the cakes moist, which is what misting would do too....

Edited by lunaveggy (10/30/04 10:19 AM)

OfflineSilven
Male

#3297408 - 10/30/04 12:45 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yes, do like Scatmanrav said and mist high above in your tub.  Do not mist the pins directly as it can cause aborts.

Glad to hear that they're growing. :smile:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but did you spray the vermiculite until it was moist on the cakes after rolling them in verm?  If you were using wet verm to roll it's ok, but dry verm would be the culprit in sucking your cakes dry if you didn't wet it.

- Silven

--------------------

Offlinelunaveggy
Stranger
Re: perilite humidity problems (gr!) [Re: Silven]
    #3300880 - 10/31/04 12:17 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I rolled them in wet verm, though in retrospect it would have worked better had it been dry.

I saw my first pin! joy!

by misting above, wouldn't it still fall on the pins? or is it the pressure that is possibly harmful?

(is that avatar from the 100 cups of coffee episode?)

Offlinethenewuser
LSA Guy :-)

#3300888 - 10/31/04 12:22 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Well my tank is stuck at 91% humidity so far, using perlite, 1" water 2" perlite.

The temp is ok, 74F, is 91% enough? Thanks!

--------------------
Please read my DXM & LSA Guides, here.

If your like MMORPG's, then click here and here!

Invisiblemonkeynilla
    #3322877 - 11/05/04 01:20 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

edited my poster

--------------------
you know when you've been out done when you fart under the covers and the wife puts her own head under them!

Edited by monkeynilla (11/05/04 01:44 AM)

Invisiblemonkeynilla
Re: perilite humidity problems (gr!) [Re: thenewuser]
    #3322894 - 11/05/04 01:37 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

been using paper towel for months, been growing for years, been posting here for days. the wood pulp is less nutritive than the grain in the cakes, the water to saturate-not float in a puddle- is not stagnant. it evaporates, then condenses on the top and sides of the tub, then precipitates back in a natural cycle. I have even dropped rye berries (soaked till they start to sprout) along the borders of the tub, it works but is more labor than needed than just lifting the lid every now and then. My experiences with perlite are years. and the fact of the matter is, is that perlite just has more water within it that does not get released to evaporation even in the most controlled and optimum enviroments and just because there is no food for the contamn spores to feed they will germinate. and whats there with the perlite? cake! lots of it!. I have had after over a months use with 5 qt buckets of straw-cakes spawned with pop corn and feed corn alike tend to get nasty after the third and fourth flush. the myc starts coloniseing a bit but thats ok, its just the continual use over a long time that does it in.
DONT DO THIS!!!! if you are happy with what you are doing, if you dont like to experiment, and you like to shoot ideas down without trying them first. Ignorance is the enemy, not new ideas.
DONT blindly take my word for it. but dont bash it if you havent tried it.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3322895 - 11/05/04 01:38 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

It was locked because you are retarded. You say leave it until it turns green. What do you think that green is? MOLD! I will NOT be cultivating MOLD for you just to try it. How many times have I tried anything new? Lets see..

Sterilized straw they said coudlnt be done. I did it.

Not to mention I've never done a PF cake. I started off doing grain and casing it. Even though they said I shouldn't. And lets see I would love to see some of what you pull using green paper towels for humidity.

Until then. I suggest people follow the advice of every other cultivator out there and paper towels for humdification is bad. Especially saying you leave it in and change the paper towel once it becomes green. But hey if people want to try it, no skin off my back. I don't know nothing about growing shrooms anyway..

Personally, I hope you continue to not post here if you plan on offering such misinformation.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Offlineatomic1
enthusiast
Male

Loc: Appalachia
    #3322910 - 11/05/04 01:44 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Dude, i ain't saying you're retarded and i'm not blind to trying new stuff either but scatmanrav is right man...using paper towels for humidification? You might as well use a layer of sliced bread. Its asking for contams. I'm not even saying that it doesn't work, if you say it does i believe you but i wouldn't advise anyone to do that.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: perilite humidity problems (gr!) [Re: atomic1]
    #3322944 - 11/05/04 01:57 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Exactly, I'm sure it would work too. I'm just sure that it could cause some major contam problems (which you admitted it does when you say the paper towels turn green) even with the bleach.

--------------------

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
    #3323077 - 11/05/04 02:49 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

:bitchslap:

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale