Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds   Amazon Magic Flight Launch Box, Vaporizer

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offline5553
my lungs
    #3322007 - 11/04/04 11:12 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

i was wondering how bad would a guys lungs be if he smoked pot every day for 3 years anywhere bewteen .5-2 grams depending on the day. saying this person is young adult would the lungs be fucked? and what other health problems could happen from smoking pot every day for long periods?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblevandago
Male User Gallery

Loc: .
Re: my lungs [Re: 5553]
    #3322042 - 11/04/04 11:22 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I doubt you'd have anything more then some discolored phlegm here and there. I have been smoking like that for almost 5 years now and that's all I get, I smoked cigs for three. But I spose that all depends on the individual. But I highly doubt your lungs would be fucked I think you'd be alright.

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Loc: Australia
Re: my lungs [Re: vandago]
    #3322159 - 11/04/04 11:52 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

when you do damage for a long period of time there is going to be something wrong sooner or later, you'll notice when you stop or start to slow down. but smoking so much for so long can have really damaging effects.
in my teens i was only smoking for 6 month nearly everyday. my lungs are fucked and still are its been about 4 years since. i notice a big differnce in lung sizes, how breathing changes and still coughing up flem.
health problems can be from starving brain from oxygen. lung cancer, psychological dependence, headaches + many more

--------------------
suicide a permanent solution to a temporary problem

Offlinechubbycharley
the chubbiest ofthe charleys
Male
Loc: everywhere
Re: my lungs [Re: spudamore]
    #3322453 - 11/05/04 01:21 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

not trying to be an ass, but can you support that lung cancer thing with a source or two?

--------------------
if i'm just a stoned stoner, sayin some stoned ass shit, please correct me :smile:

InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

Loc: British Columbia
Re: my lungs [Re: chubbycharley]
    #3322465 - 11/05/04 01:24 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

It doesn't really cause lung cancer. Or at least, it's every rare compared to lung cancer caused by tobacco.

The fertilizer used for tobacco has radioactive compounds in it.

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Re: my lungs [Re: chubbycharley]
    #3322496 - 11/05/04 01:31 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

actually yes there are many
a recent study has shown that dope smoke has more carcengenic fumes than cigs.
anything in lungs that are not natural can cause cancer..especially smoke. or can atleast cause some damamge to other body parts/organs

--------------------

Edited by spudamore (11/05/04 01:36 AM)

InvisiblesuiM
I love you.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cali, Contra Costa Co. Flag
    #3322567 - 11/05/04 01:51 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

spudamore said:
actually yes there are many
a recent study has shown that dope smoke has more carcengenic fumes than cigs.
anything in lungs that are not natural can cause cancer..especially smoke. or can atleast cause some damamge to other body parts/organs

Where did you find the info. Back up your claim!

--------------------

"There is never a wrong note, bend it."
Jimi Hendrix

InvisibleSkunk420
 User Gallery

Loc: inside
Re: my lungs [Re: HeavyToilet]
    #3322664 - 11/05/04 02:14 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

HeavyToilet said:
It doesn't really cause lung cancer. Or at least, it's every rare compared to lung cancer caused by tobacco...

The fertilizer used for tobacco has radioactive compounds in it.

..give me a break, smoking cannabis or tobacco is gonna increase your chances of getting lung cancer...weed is more carcongenic but you don't have to smoke as much...so what? there are a lot of things that will cause problems...

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Re: my lungs [Re: sui]
    #3322812 - 11/05/04 02:56 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Where did you find the info. Back up your claim!

well i have a report from australian medical association infront of me at the moment to big to type up.
why does everybody have to see facts before they relise that something is dangerous or not good for you???
we all know the limits that our bodies have and the damaging effects that the things we put in our body have....

but here you go here is a couple of links
http://www.newsweekly.com.au/articles/2003mar08_d1.html
http://www.cannabis.net/respiratory/
i can give the full report in a month or 2 when it is released on the net. it only came out a couple of days ago.

if you want more, look for yourself.

--------------------

OfflineAsanteA
flip-flop magician
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right Here - Right Now
Re: my lungs [Re: sui]
    #3323980 - 11/05/04 12:19 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Should Spud back up his claim?

Why no, let me do that for him!
The next installment is from a post I wrote earlier.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmm links please..

The extent of possible long-term damage on psyche and cognition, immune system, fertility and pregnancy remains controversial. Marijuana can induce a schizophrenic psychosis in vulnerable persons presumably without increasing the incidence of the disease. Disturbance of immunological and hormonal functions and long-term impairment of memory, attention, and complex cognitive processes are low

"Low" means that even this pro-marijuana research paper acknowledges disturbances of immune system, hormonal functions and long-term impairment of memory, attention, and complex cognitive processes

The extent of possible long-term damage on psyche and cognition, immune system, fertility and pregnancy remains controversial.
Aside from brain syndromes infertility and pregnancy effects are DNA effects.

Clin Toxicol. 1979 Apr;14(4):433-8. Related Articles, Links

Myocardial infarction (= heart attack) upon smoking a joint

Myocardial infarction and marijuana.

Charles R, Holt S, Kirkham N.

Myocardial infarction in the virtual absence of risk factors occurred in a 25-year old man shortly after smoking a cigarette containing marijuana. Subsequent coronary arteriography was normal.

This is what happened to me personally but then in a bit more severe case with no risk factors of significance. Must've been a harmless heart attack then ei? In a healthy 25 year-old?

Marijuana's cardiovascular effects are not associated with serious health problems for most young, healthy users, although occasional myocardial infarction, stroke, and other adverse cardiovascular events are reported. Marijuana smoking by people with cardiovascular disease poses health risks because of the consequences of the resulting increased cardiac work, increased catecholamine levels, carboxyhemoglobin, and postural hypotension.

Only occasionally weed causes heart attacks, strokes and similar health crises. Isn't THAT harmless?

We already know that regular use of cannabis is associated with an increased incidence of mental illnesses, most notably schizophrenia and depression,4 but it is also worth examining its potential to cause other illnesses, especially those of the heart and respiratory system...Smoking cannabis causes chronic bronchitis, emphysema, and other lung disorders, which were recently summarised in a review released by the British Lung Foundation.3 ...Although the active ingredients of the cannabis plant differ from those of the tobacco plant, each produces about 4000 chemicals when smoked and these are largely identical...A striking feature of cannabis smoking is that it is associated with bullous lung disease in young people.6 Inflammatory lung changes, chronic cough, and chest infections are similar to those in cigarette smokers, but may also be commoner in younger people.7-9 Premalignant changes have been shown in the pulmonary epithelium, and there are reports of lung, tongue, and other cancers in cannabis smokers... For example, one could calculate that if cigarettes cause an annual excess of 120 000 deaths among 13 million smokers, the corresponding figure for deaths among 3.2 million cannabis smokers would be 30 000, assuming equality of effect. Even if the number of deaths attributable to cannabis turned out to be a fraction of that figure, smoking cannabis would still be a major public health hazard. However, when the likely mental health burden is added to the potential for morbidity and premature death from cardiopulmonary disease, these signals cannot be ignored.

pretty stiff statements from the British Lung Foundation et al, don't you think? cannabis smokers get the same illnesses, plus extra illnesses at a younger age then tobacco smokers. note the unusual number of high-lethality and chronic disabling diseases in that list

Several publications have recently suggested a relationship between cannabis use and certain types of cancer. We gathered information on the latest findings on the subject. A manual and computerized bibliographic search on cannabis and cancer was conducted. In users under 40 years of age, cannabis is suspected to increase the risk of squamous-cell carcinoma of the upper aerodigestive tract, particularly of the tongue and larynx, and possibly of lung. Other tumours being suspected are non-lymphoblastic acute leukaemia and astrocytoma. In head and neck cancer, carcinogenicity was observed for regular (i.e. more than once a day for years) cannabis smokers. Moreover, cannabis increases the risk of head and neck cancer in a dose-response manner for frequency and duration of use. Interaction was observed with cigarette smoking and alcohol use. Delta9-THC seems to have a specific carcinogenic effect different from that of the pyrolysis products.

Voila! Here are the CANNABIS DEATH LINKS you required. Ofcourse chances are you wont read it of just say it is all propaganda. If I say pear you say banana. Fun game. But here are they.

Here are your CANNABIS DEATH LINKS, written by highly esteemed scientist based on studies. Please cut and paste links of zero deaths and weed falling of forklifts written by propagandist fuckheads who make medical claims without backing in hard science.

I say that if you are an adult and willing to risk a slow, agonizing death by smoking marijuana you should be free to do so. Life is full of risks and Cannabis is one of them. PLease end the kindergarten game of the kid who has just discovered he can deny every thing anyone could possibly say.

You wanted DEATH LINKS? Here they are, tip of the iceberg theres scores of these throughout the scientific and medical community. Not so funny anymore ei? But if you smoke another joint nothing will seem like a big deal: that was one of the effects weed had on me.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Stiff claims in a quite emotional post! If you click this link you will see that all these claims are linked up properly to their scientific sources.

If you click this link you can read the entire thread where I explain how cannabis gave me numerous cases of Angina Pectoris, the highly dangerous first stages of what later was to become my heart attack on December 27, 2002.
You will also read somebody relating his story about how he and his friends have smoked pot for 20 years and all got completely busted lungs because of it, I quote: "That first joint killed me, plain and simple".

So pot is at least every bit as bad for your health as tobacco, if not more so. Smoking, ANY smoking, kills.

--------------------
CLICK ONE -->  :redpill:  :bluepill:  <-- GO PLACES
SEARCH ENGINE  SUPPORT TICKETS  STORE  SPONSORS/VENDORS  AMANI
PSYCHOSIS, SYNCHRONICITIES, SHAMANISM & THE SUPERNATURAL WA&F

From the Outcasts to the Incrowd, from the Clueless to the Helpful, it takes the whole Shroomery to help a n00b

Edited by Asante (11/05/04 12:24 PM)

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ohio
Re: my lungs [Re: Asante]
    #3324038 - 11/05/04 12:34 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

I say that if you are an adult and willing to risk a slow, agonizing death by smoking marijuana you should be free to do so. Life is full of risks and Cannabis is one of them. PLease end the kindergarten game of the kid who has just discovered he can deny every thing anyone could possibly say.

wow, we know wiccans thoughts on smoking marijuana.  I think you are taking it a little far but smoking anything is definatly not good for your health.  There is just NOT enough research done of the subject.  Smoking marijuana everyday im assuming is not nearly nerly as bad as smoking a pack of cigs a day.  I figure each cig prolly weighs .5-.7g x 20 = atleast 2 garms prolly of tobbbacoo.  Im pulling these numbers out my ass and im trying to justify smoking marijuana with cigs are worse and i do that hrmm where am i going with this.  Oh yeah time to smoke :smile:.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ohio
Re: my lungs [Re: baraka]
    #3324056 - 11/05/04 12:38 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

If i am smoking kif, i can get high off a tenth of a gram. Now that is not a lot of smoke and im sure just walking thru my downtown area id inhale many more carcinogens.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Anonymous #1

Re: my lungs [Re: 5553]
    #3324185 - 11/05/04 01:14 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I don't know what you guys are smoking, but you need to smoke better (read: to smoke less) herb if you are constantly coughing up phlegm.

A few bowls a day for 50 or more years likely won't kill you. Mix in daily activity, exercise, and common sense. If you have possible heart/lung problems or budding schizophrenia then avoid marijuana, common sense. A joint isn't worth your life.

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
    #3324629 - 11/05/04 03:17 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

There is just NOT enough research done of the subject.

there is enough research especially the latest reports.

Smoking marijuana everyday im assuming is not nearly nerly as bad as smoking a pack of cigs a day. I figure each cig prolly weighs .5-.7g x 20 = atleast 2 garms prolly of tobbbacoo.

one joint = around 20 cigs

--------------------

InvisibleBoom
Supervisor
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Cypress Creek
    #3324758 - 11/05/04 03:56 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

spudamore said:

one joint = around 20 cigs

Holy shit if thats true, in addition to all the ciggarettes I smoke, its like I'm smoking 3 or 4 packs a day (sometimes nuch much more)
I should get a vaporizer (and quit tobbacco). :grin: :grin:

Offlinethegnomeking
friendly stoner

Loc: New Jersey
Re: my lungs [Re: Boom]
    #3325098 - 11/05/04 05:37 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

it all depends on the person, my grandma is 86 and she's been smoking 2 packs a day of Benson and hedges since she was about 13, in fact she's out lived my other grandma, who (according to her) has never even touched a cigarette. I mean she's not too healthy but if I live to be that old I'll be more then satisfied with my lifespan, even if I become too sick to walk. and that's 40 cigs a day, how can smoking 2 joints a day be as harmful as 40 cigs that just doesn't make any sense.

--------------------
1.Thou shalt not alter the consciousness of thy fellow man.
2.Thou shalt not prevent thy fellow man from altering his own consciousness.
-Timothy Leary

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
    #3325169 - 11/05/04 06:00 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

baraka said:
wow, we know wiccans thoughts on smoking marijuana.  I think you are taking it a little far but smoking anything is definatly not good for your health.  There is just NOT enough research done of the subject.  Smoking marijuana everyday im assuming is not nearly nerly as bad as smoking a pack of cigs a day.  I figure each cig prolly weighs .5-.7g x 20 = atleast 2 garms prolly of tobbbacoo.  Im pulling these numbers out my ass and im trying to justify smoking marijuana with cigs are worse and i do that hrmm where am i going with this.  Oh yeah time to smoke :smile:.

Now i agree with you Barkara. Also Wiccan fails to explain how all of the bad things associated with pot are brought about by latent physical conditions of the individual. Pot is a drug/medication and as everyone knows not everyone can take all medications. It just annoys me that people take this and run with it to try and deface mary jane even though this occurs with most all medicines. Some people are just not meant for it and that should be obvious. Wiccan thinks that people are touting pot as being totally harmless which most people don't do. Heck food is harmful and broccali is a carcinogen. Nothing in this world is harmless.

Also that whole 1 joint equals five cigs(which they claim it is. 20? now thats just ludacris) is total bs.

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

OfflineAsanteA
flip-flop magician
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right Here - Right Now
Re: my lungs [Re: d33p]
    #3326854 - 11/06/04 06:17 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Like I said that big piece is from a post in another thread, where marijuana was defended into the extremes of attacking people who had suffered ill effects.

Quote:

Also Wiccan fails to explain how all of the bad things associated with pot are brought about by latent physical conditions of the individual.

I didn't fail to explain that: it's just not true.
The most unhealthy cigarettes creates 10mg tars per gram. Good-grade grass contains 200mg of resin which is mostly decomposed into tars.

Cannabis smoke is loaded with carcinogens. Carcinogens, like radiation, strike statistically and almost completely ignore individual susceptibility as they attack single cells.
Some of the simplest carcinogens in marijuana smoke are Carbon monoxide :C=O, Formaldehyde CH2=O and dimethylnitrosamine (CH3)2N-N=O
These simple molecules travel through the bloodstream to any cell in your body.
Smoking weed can give you bladder cancer because DMNSA is associated with that.

If you ignore the report that says THC itself is a carcinogen then all these cancer hazards and lung hazards are caused by the *smoking* of cannabis and not the eating or vaporizing of it.
The choice for the joint instead of cannabis tea literally makesthe difference between middle age by the respirator or by the teapot for many people. And thats just so sad.

I'm not going to "try and deface mary jane" i am just speaking out against the fact that some people get adverse effects (like any medicine) but that the majority of people who sustain damage (like bronchitis or cancer) do so by wrongful use.

Guns (like that looker in your sig, what type is that?) are not intended to blow one's brains out but rather to be pointed at tin cans, bulls-eyes or even do some hunting and in the worst case self-defense.
If using guns for driveby-shootings is discussed I speak out against that usage because I think it's inappropriate use.

Same with this My Lungs/Smoking thread.
If you want to use cannabis, do not smoke it or simply quit smoking.
Heat some milk to a boil, turn off the stove, toss in your crumbled weed and let slowly cool to be drank grounds and all.
Rise: 2-4 hours, Peak: 2-4 hours, Decline: 2-4 hours.
Herbs are for eating, not smoking. Smoking weed is taking on huuuuge additional risk because it turns a very significant portion of that weed into very significant poisons.

If your body or mind can't stand THC (I for instance can get heart attacks by it, being susceptible to THC's strong cardiac effects) you shouldn't use it plain and simple.
But if you are of reasonable health you should drink it, not smoke it. People can smoke in my house till I'm blue in the face :wink: but that doesn't mean the convenience of the joint or bong should be preferred over the 6-12 hour Bolero of Cannabis when you drink it, because Bhang (cannabis-milk, honey added to taste) is far less toxic then smoked.

--------------------
CLICK ONE -->  :redpill:  :bluepill:  <-- GO PLACES
SEARCH ENGINE  SUPPORT TICKETS  STORE  SPONSORS/VENDORS  AMANI
PSYCHOSIS, SYNCHRONICITIES, SHAMANISM & THE SUPERNATURAL WA&F

From the Outcasts to the Incrowd, from the Clueless to the Helpful, it takes the whole Shroomery to help a n00b

InvisibleComfortably_Numb
FriendlyStranger
 User Gallery
Loc: Here (not everywhere)
Re: my lungs [Re: d33p]
    #3327146 - 11/06/04 11:20 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

d33p said:
broccali is a carcinogen

Wtf are you talking about? Broccoli has been proven to reduce the risk of some forms of cancer. It amazes me that the same people who preach about misinformation about drugs can post completely unfounded info that they seemingly pull out of their ass.

Sorry if it seems like I'm getting pissed at you, it's a buildup of seeing a lot of baseless info posted on this forum.

InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

Loc: British Columbia
Re: my lungs [Re: Boom]
    #3327533 - 11/06/04 02:10 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Cigarettes hurt my lungs way, way more than cannabis does.

Even though cigarettes are filtered, compared to smoking weed out of a pipe, the tobacco hurts my lungs way more.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds   Amazon Magic Flight Launch Box, Vaporizer

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being