Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Portable Greenhouse, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblezxsevinr
fartnocker
rh too high in marthas
    #3321984 - 11/04/04 11:06 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

hey my marthas is keeping the rh way way too high i mean i open it and theres water droplets on everything i run the sonic 15 min every 2 hours and the cool mist 24/7 i just recently dropped the coolmist to 1 hour on 1 hour off any other suggestions for a newbie

--------------------
i also am a big liar and i tell no truths on this board furthermore when the words i me or my are used i am refering to a friend of a friend

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineazurescens
Re: rh too high in marthas [Re: zxsevinr]
    #3322001 - 11/04/04 11:11 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Hopefully that should help...why would you have 2 humidifiers running anyway?

Offlineintrigue
MMMM hard trance
 User Gallery
Re: rh too high in marthas [Re: azurescens]
    #3322009 - 11/04/04 11:13 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

azurescens said:
Hopefully that should help...why would you have 2 humidifiers running anyway?

i was under the impression that running a cool mist and an ultrasonic was more or less the standard.

as far as too much humidity just keep messing with the timings.

Offlinepizzle3k
Midwest Mushin!
Male

Re: rh too high in marthas [Re: intrigue]
    #3322025 - 11/04/04 11:15 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

i'd cut back on the ultrasonic a bit,the cool mist is used to keep the air exchange going,the ultrasonic does most* of the humidifing,but maybe someone with more martha experience could help you

P3K

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: rh too high in marthas [Re: azurescens]
    #3322028 - 11/04/04 11:16 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Keep the coolmist going 24/7 the shrooms just love it! Just run the ultrasonic every 3-4 hours for 15min. you will find the sweet spot :wink:
azurescens coolmists provide a good source of humid fresh air exchanges but they can actually lower RH down to around 80-85% and the ultrasonic provides the added RH as a result you have the perfect environment for fruiting! :wink: GL

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Invisiblezxsevinr
fartnocker
Re: rh too high in marthas [Re: hyphae]
    #3322228 - 11/05/04 12:18 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

thank you hyphae you are a life saver

--------------------
i also am a big liar and i tell no truths on this board furthermore when the words i me or my are used i am refering to a friend of a friend

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #3324147 - 11/05/04 01:04 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Just cut the times on the ultrasonic down it's gonna very on where you live. Set it for 5 nimutes every two hours and work your way up from there if needed. Marthas are easy to work with.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinenuk1m
Dutchman
 User Gallery

Re: rh too high in marthas [Re: Magash]
    #5869381 - 07/17/06 03:44 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

zxsevinr I did same exact thing when I first got my martha. All the teks i've been reading suggested that a ultrasonic was necessary. After installing a coomlmist and a ultrasonic I found my terraium was getting soaked. I quickly figured out having only the coolmist running 24/7 kept my martha at 98% rH. So no more ultra sonic. I actually have to keep my martha unziped a bit to lower the humidity to 94%

--------------------
Tucked neatly below my belt

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: rh too high in marthas [Re: nuk1m]
    #5869735 - 07/17/06 06:00 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Ultrasonic = "cool mist" Can't really make sense of your post.

OfflineYamidude
Stranger

Re: rh too high in marthas [Re: fastfred]
    #5869783 - 07/17/06 06:11 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

fastfred said:
Ultrasonic = "cool mist" Can't really make sense of your post.

an ultra sonic is NOT a cool mist.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: rh too high in marthas [Re: Yamidude]
    #5870122 - 07/17/06 07:43 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Yes it is. Here's an example link for ya...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001MKVOM/103-0546922-8644604?v=glance&n=284507

There are only two types of humidifier that actually produce a "mist". Those are impellers and ultrasonics. Impellers predate the term "cool mist" and were just called humidifiers.

Hopefully this clears up any confusion on what a "cool mist" is.

-FF

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5870256 - 07/17/06 08:21 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Hmmm... I'm seeing where the confusion lies. Holmes trademarked the term "cool mist" in 1989. It referred to ultrasonic type humidifiers, but Holmes never declared any "specific character" in regard to this trademark.

The trademark was declared dead in 1997 and marked "Abandoned-Failure To Respond Or Late Response".

Other manufacturers started claiming all sorts of humidifiers to be "cool mist" and so Holmes followed suit. They now have "cool mist and "warm mist" type humidifiers. If it's not a "warm mist" then it falls into the "cool mist" category, even if it produces no actual mist.

An evaporative wick type humidifier produces no mist, so the use of "cool mist" to describe them is clearly false advertising. However most manufacturers skirt this by saying that their "cool mist" humidifier produces an "invisible cool mist" somewhere in their product literature.

There are two types of humidifier that produce an actual mist. They are "impeller" type humidifiers and "ultrasonic" humidifiers. Impeller type humidifiers predate the use of the term "cool mist".

As used on this site, "cool mist" properly refers to an ultrasonic humidifier.

-FF

I'll post this in the FAQ section to avoid any future disputes over what a "cool mist" is.

Edited by fastfred (07/17/06 08:27 PM)

OfflineYamidude
Stranger

#5870769 - 07/17/06 09:48 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

fastfred said:
Hmmm... I'm seeing where the confusion lies. Holmes trademarked the term "cool mist" in 1989. It referred to ultrasonic type humidifiers, but Holmes never declared any "specific character" in regard to this trademark.

The trademark was declared dead in 1997 and marked "Abandoned-Failure To Respond Or Late Response".

Other manufacturers started claiming all sorts of humidifiers to be "cool mist" and so Holmes followed suit. They now have "cool mist and "warm mist" type humidifiers. If it's not a "warm mist" then it falls into the "cool mist" category, even if it produces no actual mist.

An evaporative wick type humidifier produces no mist, so the use of "cool mist" to describe them is clearly false advertising. However most manufacturers skirt this by saying that their "cool mist" humidifier produces an "invisible cool mist" somewhere in their product literature.

There are two types of humidifier that produce an actual mist. They are "impeller" type humidifiers and "ultrasonic" humidifiers. Impeller type humidifiers predate the use of the term "cool mist".

As used on this site, "cool mist" properly refers to an ultrasonic humidifier.

-FF

I'll post this in the FAQ section to avoid any future disputes over what a "cool mist" is.

this has been discussed a million times. When people refer to a cool mist they are referring to an impeller type humidifier. That's why 99% of people when talking about marthas state that they use a cool mist and an ultrasonic.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/humidifier4.htm

cool mist = impeller type

Ultrasonic = just that. Ultrasonic.

they function very differently. I guess you can google any "history of humidifiers" you feel like but as far as most anyone is concerned. On this website a cool mist= impeller.

InvisibleJoeMama
Re: rh too high in marthas [Re: Yamidude]
    #5870820 - 07/17/06 09:58 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

RR do you have any input here? It appears that they are splitting hares.
(Har Har Har, I just couldnt resist)
-Me

Invisibleliamtheloser
Advanced Idiot
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PNW
Re: rh too high in marthas [Re: JoeMama]
    #5870827 - 07/17/06 10:00 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

regardless, this thread is a few years old.

--------------------

OfflineYamidude
Stranger

Re: rh too high in marthas [Re: liamtheloser]
    #5871051 - 07/17/06 10:50 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Edited by Yamidude (07/18/06 02:40 AM)

OfflineJohn8247
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#14875790 - 08/05/11 09:29 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

I run both my cool mist and my ultrasonic for 15 mins every hour. But my cool mist is a wick type. So it moves lots of air but doesnt put much humidity in. If you got an impeller type cool mist (if you can see water droplets in the air coming out of your cool mist than its an impeller) make sure you have a few bends in the tubing leading into your greenhouse. This will stop a lot of the water droplets from making it into your FC but still let the air go thru. Just make sure there aren't any sags in the tubing that will allow water to collect in the tube preventing air from moving thru it. Water runs down hill, you want it to only have to go down hill back to your humidifier. If that doesn't work, try stuffing some sort of diffuser into the tubing, maybe aluminum screening, the aluminum wont corrode and that will stop a lot of the water droplets and let gravity take em back to the humidifier.
Just remember, the cool mist is mostly there for FAE. It needs to add a little humidity with the air that it pushes, otherwise your FC would dry out between the ultrasonic humidifier cycles. But you cant just turn it down to lower humidity because it needs to be running enough to cycle 100% new fresh air into your FC at least 3 times a day (but more is better). Try the two things that I mentioned, that should help. And if not, look into getting a cool mist that wicks instead. They're only about 25 dollars at Wallmart, and even cheaper at thrift stores and flee markets.
Once you get that worked out. You should have no problem controlling your humidity, by just adjusting the run cycles of your ultrasonic humidifier.
IMO too much humidity, to the point that water begins to pool on your cakes and casings, is just as bad, if not worse than, not enough humidity.

--------------------
I'm no pro, nor do I claim to be. But I have had some success. If I post any info or advice, it's what I've witnessed and learned first hand. Never just something that I read and regurgitated in order to sound like a know it all! What worked for me, may not work for you. And now you cant say I didn't warn you!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Portable Greenhouse, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation