Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Hawaiian Baby Woodrose

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisiblesuiM
I love you.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cali, Contra Costa Co.
Shroomery Musicians Thread
    #3318401 - 11/04/04 04:06 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Can we get a sticky on this? PLLLLLEEEEEAAAASSSSSEEE!!!!

I put this forum up to give all the Shroomery musicians out there a place to post.... well anything on there mind. For the first topic:

Why do you play music? What does it mean to you?

PLZ All musicians post to keep this thread going i think it would be a great place to talk about what music means to you and why you play..... well anything in general involving your passoin for playing music.

PLEASE KEEP THIS TOPIC GOING. Music is THE UNIVERSAL LANGUAGE!!!!

--------------------

$30, help me out and buy one!
Square Store - https://squareup.com/store/peace-angel-clothing-ent

Paypal - peaceangelclothingent@gmail.com

"There is never a wrong note, bend it."
Jimi Hendrix

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
Re: Shroomery Musicians Thread [Re: sui]
    #3318446 - 11/04/04 04:21 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I'm proud of this discussion a while back:
Psychological and Metaphysical Aspects of Music

We are merely a vehicle, some blessed more than others in interpreting the divine they hear in their head.

I'm confident that the technological expansion on musical timbre (specific tone/sound/voice) will bring musicians closer to re-creating the music in their head. Because obviously one's creative output relies heavily on the medium used to express. A violin is a great instrument, but clearly limited.

See post-link above:
I'm also confident that the next major step in the concept of music and 'theory' will be psycho-acoustics. This is about exactly how music and sound affects our brains...

I'll post a little more later, because this topic is very wide and very intriguing. Let these ideas settle, and discuss.

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#3319353 - 11/04/04 12:45 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I grew up with a Mom who played guitar and sang. She was in a bluegrass band for years. When I would hear them practice they would sometimes give me a tamborine to play. I sucked big time. So bad in fact they stopped letting me play. I was only 9 years old.

I was torn up completley. So bad in fact I didn't enjoy music any more. Until I was 15. Then I had a very good friend buy a guitar. He let me fuck with it every time I came over. After awhile I was playing circles around his head. So I bought my own guitar. A very beautiful Ibanaz Roadstar.

I played it 8 hours a day st home and not once did my mom ever pat me on my back. She was more worried about the fact I could play better than her. sad but true

Anyway it turns out I am a music freak. Now I can play everything except horns. Now Music is my escape. I never really played any cover tunes. I mean I know a few. But I have been writting music for 15 years. But..............I NEVER DID ANYTHING WITH IT GRrrrrrrrrrrr
The only thing I really did was win first place in a solo jam off down at the music store. I got me a very nice Marshal amp head. :thumbup:

So I am at a point where I am going to just burst unless I get out there and jam. It is fustrating having all this music bottled up inside knowing I could do something.

I think if you are young and want to play PLAY. Don't fuck around, PLAY everywhere and everyday. Play for free, play for the rain ,PLAY, jam just do it and don't fuck around

Or you will end up 36 and pissed like me.

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
    #3319417 - 11/04/04 01:02 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I am a musician to the bone. It flows through my veins..

I play music for many reasons... one because it is one of the best ways to express myself. I am not very much of an extrovert, or a very talkative person in social situations.. quite the opposite. But through music, poetry and the written word.. I am able to express myself a hundred times better. It allows me to be spontaneous and creative also as the same time.

Another reason is simply because I fucking love music. All kinds of music.. especially good technical metal.. but also jazz/fusion, classical, bluegrass, jam bands, minimalism, psy-goa.. all kinds. Passionate music.. music that people put their hearts and souls into. I love that about music and I love doing it with my own music. Music can speak languages that go far beyond normal communication. It can fill you with intense feelings and emotions.. and if you hear a song or some music during a memorable event.. chances are that song will remind you of that event till the day you die. Good music sticks around.

I love the freedom, I love the vibrations. I love jamming with someone and feeding off each other's energy. I love playing my music in front of a receptive audience.. there is nothing quite like that feeling. I love everything about music.

InvisiblesuiM
I love you.
Male User Gallery

Re: Shroomery Musicians Thread [Re: Shroomism]
    #3320978 - 11/04/04 07:33 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

ive been playing guitar for 4 years well 3 actually i got it 4 years ago and used it aas a coatrack for a year lol ( i know its horrible i know ) but then i met my best friend and its so weird we connected on such a cool level he inspired me to learn. i forced myself to play six hours a day after school. i took it to school played b4 class, played during class, played in between classes, played at lunch, played while i was walking around, i felt naked w/out it after a while. it got to the point where my girlfriend was threatened by my guitar! Recently i believe im right under my friends skill level and hes been playing for 10 years. ive only ever learned 2 songs that i didnt write. the first one is kind of mandatory when you play guitar, Smells like teen spirit lol, and polly, neither of which i can play now! they just sorta fell out of mu head. im 18 and want to make a career in music i love it. the best high i have ever felt is playing for people, better than mushies weed alcohol.... ANYTHING!!

--------------------

Jimi Hendrix

InvisiblesuiM
I love you.
Male User Gallery

#3322169 - 11/04/04 11:54 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Wheres all the other musicians i hope were not the only ones!

--------------------

Jimi Hendrix

OfflineHarbinger
The Power of theRiff Compels Me

Loc: Far Away
    #3322817 - 11/05/04 02:57 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

As simply as I can put it, I play music because I love music itself. Not many things are more important to me than music.

--------------------
Click the pic to hear some songs I've recorded.

:rockon:

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
    #3323273 - 11/05/04 07:09 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I love muscic, both listening and playing/making it. it's a big part of my life and it's important to me. The better you get at it the more fun it is, it's just amazing :laugh:

more later, I need to play some guitar now :grin:

OfflineTasty_Smurf_House
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #3325612 - 11/05/04 08:07 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Music is super important to me and I love it.

I play guitar, bass and drums. I love them. :smile: I just started with drums and they're so weird. Fun shit when you get something to finally work out. It's so different from guitar and bass though.

Anyways yeah. This should sticky or something.

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
    #3326005 - 11/05/04 10:06 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Well, I wanted a guitar ever since I was 12, when I first discovered Black Sabbath thu a friend....  My parents gave me a PLASTIC guitar for X-mas when I was 14....  Their intentions were good, but not a lot of money to throw around back then....  And well, the plastic guitar was not something that you could really play....  :frown:   

So when I was 21, and got a "real job", the first thing I got was a Fender Stat (FENDER SUX), and it was the only guitar I have EVER sold out of my now large collection....  Didn't matter that it was a shitty guitar back then, the main thing is that I was practicing and learning....  I do mathematicaly complex 3D CAD modeling & surfacing at work, and would often come home stressed with a headache (in the beggining)....  About one hour of playing guitar after I got home from work would take those stressful brain cramps right out of there....!  Like Shroomism said, it is my escape, and a way to "ground" me mentally.... 

Of course the first required learning of any new guitarist is the good ole' "Smoke on the Water" riff, and I was no exception....!    I have learned how to play a few other cover songs in my past, but don't waste my time with that crap anymore....  I have too much fun making up my own stuff....!  I have been in many failed bands (personallity/responsibillity issues of others), and they were all based on the songs I had written at the time.... 

Currently I mostly jam by myself, throw a beat on the drum machine, and improv away....    I really can't solo very fast, but I am a riff making machine when I am in the zone....!  I have a full drawer with hundreds of cassette tapes of recorded jam sessions with a cheap boom box....  Since then, I have built a home studio and have gone digital, I now have 6-7 120-160gig hard drives full of all improv jam sessions and songs.....  Some with various other jam buddies, but mostly of myself....  I have created enough "good" material now to stop playing guitar, and just make songs out of the cut up improv recording clips....  I seldom set aside time to do this, I need a secretary DaMMiT...!  LoL

I don't know very much music theory, and have never taken classes, but I can play anything by ear and find the key that someone else is jammin out in....  I have been playing in Drop-D tuning exclusively for about 5-6 years now(out of the 13yrs that i have been playing), also tuned down half a step....  I can still "align" and play with people set at standard tuning - leaving my guitar in it's "off" tuning....  There is just something about the low inverted power chords you can play in drop D - makes your balls shake....!  With this tuning, you can play all the way down to an inverted low "A" power chord (technically A flat for me).... 

Style-wise, I am like a dumbed down SLOW version of John Petrucci - ONLY with rhythem parts, not soloing....  Like to make songs with a lot of changing cool driving parts, and messin with time sigs and dynamics....  Metal ALL THE WAY....!    :thumbup:

My biggest inspiration is a GOOD drummer that can feel and anticipate the changes coming when improving....  And, well, the green sticky also helps with much inspiration...!  LoL   

Have not had a band for about 1.5 years now (my longest non-band rut), but I just got in touch with a new experienced drummer, and excited to see what that starts....!  Just hopin' that we have the magical musical chemistry needed to write some good material together and get something solid going....    Time will tell...!

Ax of choice:  A one of a kind Ibanez Prestige "S" series guitar with a trippy paint job by Dan Lawrence....  It was featured at the 2002 NAMM show, and was scooped up by a guitar store manager that never played it....  Then he needed some cash....!  :rolleyes:    WoooooHooooo...!  Evolution pick-ups, and SUPER LOW action with the Wizard II neck makes it play like butter..... 
MMMmmmmmm  Buuuuuuteeeerrrrrrr.....  ::::Spoken like Homer::::
No, you can't play my guitar....!!!!  LoL    .    I am pretty anal-retentive about that, and most friends just don't understand....  It would be like making out with my girlfriend (if I had one)....!?  I guess I am wierd like that....?  :shrug:

Rig of choice:  My Peavey 2x12 Classic Chorus amp (chorus off) runnin thru a Digitech 2101 with all of my custom made patches....  I have played thru and have owned many of the higher end amps, and nothing else gets the sound/tone that I like from my Peaveys....    I recently added an Eventide DSP 4500 to my collection of toyz~ (last week), but have not had the time to mess with it and dial in the sounds yet....  It is a fuggin powerhouse from what little I have played with it tho~....!    Much potential there to tap into from what I have seen so far....

I am 34 now, and I think of music as more than just a hobby....  Even if nothing big ever happens to me (pretty much expected), I will still always enjoy playing/writing, and look forward to what the future holds for me....!  Even if it is just for my own pure basement enjoyment filled bliss....!    :grin:    It is really all that I need.... 

ChoW~

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Offlinepolice
Stranger
Re: Shroomery Musicians Thread [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #3326698 - 11/06/04 04:13 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

music rox

InvisiblesuiM
I love you.
Male User Gallery

Re: Shroomery Musicians Thread [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #3328490 - 11/06/04 08:54 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

GimpyTomCat said:
Well, I wanted a guitar ever since I was 12, when I first discovered Black Sabbath thu a friend....  My parents gave me a PLASTIC guitar for X-mas when I was 14....  Their intentions were good, but not a lot of money to throw around back then....  And well, the plastic guitar was not something that you could really play....  :frown:   

A plastic guitar that sux. My first guitar was a yamaha with a fender body style. It came in a pack with an amp. I eventually traded it for an acoustic guitar after i got my Jackson King V KVX10. I wish i still had it though it waqs the first guitar i ever played.

--------------------

Jimi Hendrix

InvisiblesuiM
I love you.
Male User Gallery

#3328730 - 11/06/04 10:34 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Whats everybody elses epuipment? What do u play on? Whats your dream rig?

--------------------

Jimi Hendrix

Offlinestefan
work in progress

#3329592 - 11/07/04 05:32 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

this is my guitar and I love it, the sound is awesome and it plays soooo nice too :laugh:
btw it's a Cort MGM-1

I also have a spanish accoustic guitar of an unknown brand that sounds and plays ok

I have a small Create GX 15R amp and a Peavy 212 stereochorus wich rules :grin:

oh yeah and an Digitech RP3 effects pedal

Offlinemetamind
(FormerlyEnlightened)

Loc: Florida
    #3329978 - 11/07/04 11:46 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I've been playing keyboards for about 15 years and guitar for about 4, both on and off. When I was around 11 I was lucky enough to have a computer fairly capable of music production (for its time, anyway... a Commodore Amiga--maybe you've heard of it), so I've always written/composed more than I've played. I started with a very basic notation program and later moved on to MODs/trackers.

My primary influences have ranged from classical to electronic to rock, and my current undertakings reflect that very much. I consider myself a lover of all varieties of music, and my own music probably shows that as well.

I play/write music because it doesn't stop playing in my head, and I have to get it out somehow. And, of course, it's an all around fulfilling and amazing experience, as I'm sure all of you understand.

My current setup is almost entirely software based. I also have some early Event monitors, a little Mackie mixer, a Fatar SL-880 controller keyboard, an Ibanez RG520 guitar, and some other stuff probably not worth mentioning. Ideally I'd like to have a ridiculously expensive studio with a few spectacular recording rooms filled with instruments of all varieties.. and maybe some inflatable virtosi while I'm at it.

Hmm, I'll stop there.

InvisibleShamansPalace
Tree Hugger

Loc: www.ShamansPalace.com
Re: Shroomery Musicians Thread [Re: metamind]
    #3330090 - 11/07/04 12:44 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I played for a while. Started out with an old accoustic guitar and moved to a fender strat,when i wanted to learn how to shread. It was made in mexico but hey you gotta start somewhere. Then the band i had gotten into needed a drummer so of course i went and got a kit. 9 peice yamaha Stage custom advantage kit. Pretty nice. Now it is just sitting in the corner cause the band broke up. SUch is life. Id like to get some pics of my bro's new studio they built. everything is run through the walls. Digital all the way. hanging mikes. Foam everywhere. It looks really professional. I think they will have a website soon . the band name is from a seed. kewl stuff. Just wanted to share .

--------------------
Shaman's Palace
FREE Gift's with EVERY ORDER !!
QUICK shipping !10% Shroomery Member Discount!
www.ShamansPalace.com
Questions - Sales@Shamanspalace.com

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Re: Shroomery Musicians Thread [Re: ShamansPalace]
    #3330190 - 11/07/04 05:30 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

the band name is from a seed.

baby woodrose?

InvisiblesuiM
I love you.
Male User Gallery

Re: Shroomery Musicians Thread [Re: stefan]
    #3331193 - 11/07/04 10:19 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

stefan said:

this is my guitar and I love it, the sound is awesome and it plays soooo nice too :laugh:
btw it's a Cort MGM-1

I also have a spanish accoustic guitar of an unknown brand that sounds and plays ok

I have a small Create GX 15R amp and a Peavy 212 stereochorus wich rules :grin:

oh yeah and an Digitech RP3 effects pedal

thats a nice guitar i got a KVX10 king v jet black a 150 watt marshall valvestate, rp200 digitech effects processor, a set of 5 danelctro stompboxes(these SUK) 2 takamine jasmines(neither of which i paid $ for) and a Kasuga acoustic from the 70's. The next guitar i buy will either be a Jackson Dinky for electric or and a Ovation for acoustic.

Pretty soon we are going to be able to get a demo into the hands of one of the membors of the Beastie Boys. My girlfriends cousin just married one of the members brothers and he produces music.....AAAHHHHH everything is falling into place the demo just has to be good. :jamming: :jammingout:

--------------------

Jimi Hendrix

InvisiblesuiM
I love you.
Male User Gallery

What do you want to say? [Re: sui]
    #3336096 - 11/09/04 07:57 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

If you could get any message to the masses through your music, What would it be? Do you write for yourself or for others or both? And what does TOTAL FREEDOM THROUGH TOTAL CONTROL mean for u?

--------------------

Jimi Hendrix

OfflineMistah_Maunastat
Kraylen TheChosen
 User Gallery

Loc: Arizona.
Re: What do you want to say? [Re: sui]
    #3337792 - 11/09/04 05:04 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Live my life thru the Rhyme....

http://www.soundclick.com/kraylen Underground Hip Hop at its Highest.

--------------------

"IM A GOLDEN GOD!!!!!!!" -SilverSoul
Dankman + Dankwoman = Nuglets
"HIV, the gift that keeps on giving!"
http://www.soundclick.com/kraylen
"Realize that real lies are only seen thru real eyes."

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Hawaiian Baby Woodrose

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media