Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinevc77
incarnate
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW US
Light suggestions
    #3317913 - 11/03/04 11:29 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I am helping my girlfriend with her first grow, and she sometimes has people who visit her house who she doesn't want questioning her cultivation.

This isn't really a problem as the grow will be pretty incognito.

I am using a rubbermaid tub for the terrerium, I have cut 3"x10" rectangle holes in the two long sides, and sealed with a screen for proper ventilation, and it should hold the moisture pretty well.

The lighting source will be INSIDE of the terrerium (on the underside of the lid) for the reasons stated above... I need some suggestions.

I was thinking a low watt flouro tube should do the trick... How do blue LEDs do? Any help is appriciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSuper_Blunt
Candyman
 User Gallery

Re: Light suggestions [Re: vc77]
    #3317954 - 11/03/04 11:38 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Blue Leds, sound pretty inconspicuous to me, I do wonder how they'll work.

--------------------

OfflineJ4S0N
human
 User Gallery

Re: Light suggestions [Re: Super_Blunt]
    #3317970 - 11/03/04 11:41 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I use white LEDs for my grow. They work fine so far. I just have them connected to a 9v Nintendo adapter through a 330ohm resistor. Easy to setup and produces no noticable heat. Its an option.. low power and low heat are good enough reasons for me.

--------------------
"The Central Intelligence Agency owns everyone of any significance in the major media." ~ William Colby, Former Director, CIA

OfflineLeukoism
Dark Canopy View

Re: Light suggestions [Re: J4S0N]
    #3317979 - 11/03/04 11:43 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Get a LED flashlight with the multiple beams, they work pretty well. Last a while too!

--------------------
May it have been the one that you are no longer aware, but now it has become a reality.

-----Enter the craze untill you have seen!-----

--------------------------

InvisibleSuper_Blunt
Candyman
 User Gallery

Re: Light suggestions [Re: Leukoism]
    #3318011 - 11/03/04 11:51 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Can someone post some photos of these lights so i know what to look for when im looking for cheap lighting? anyone have a photo of them setup in there grow also?

--------------------

Invisiblezerozero
Stranger

#3318027 - 11/03/04 11:53 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

OK vc,
i think if you could get leds that would work, you would need to check the wavelengths of the lights you were using to make sure to get the correct spectrum though.

but i think the biggest issue will be safety, all that humidity build up could end up getting dangerous, also heat building up might throw your temps off.

and if you have large holes 3*10, which i think might be too much, it might be hard to keep optimum humidity, wont you be letting light out anyways??

i think a clear lid with a few holes in it, with a flor. light above the Rubbermaid, with maybe another Rubbermaid flipped over on top of that to keep it stealth.

also how are you planning to keep it humidified, personally i would build a PMP, it might cost a few extra bucks to build, but you will end up building one anyways after a while.

and just as a note, i used a low watt grow light and got ok results, and then i changed to a different, better grow light, actually just a single flor. tube, and had much better pinning, i even noticed that if i moved the tube to one side or the other, that the side ( of a rye bag fruiting out of the bag like a cake ) with the tube nearest it would have tons of pins and the side that didn't receive the light had far fewer pins. this doesn't mean you can't get results with little to no light, this is just what i've found, and i know all kind of people just use a little light.?.?

peace mang

Edited by zerozero (11/04/04 12:03 AM)

InvisibleSuper_Blunt
Candyman
 User Gallery

Re: Light suggestions [Re: zerozero]
    #3318032 - 11/03/04 11:54 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

to be a stealth ninja u need a stealth box - a wise ninja once said.

--------------------

Offlinevc77
incarnate
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW US
Re: Light suggestions [Re: Super_Blunt]
    #3318170 - 11/04/04 12:30 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

i think a clear lid with a few holes in it, with a flor. light above the Rubbermaid, with maybe another Rubbermaid flipped over on top of that to keep it stealth.

Sounds like a good idea, I think this is what I will do.

The holes are going to be loosely draped with a plastic to keep humidity and light in, but airflow reasonable, and the geolite will be sprayed with water as needed.

Edited by vc77 (11/04/04 12:32 AM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3318402 - 11/04/04 02:07 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Any blue LED's will work fine. They do NOT need a specific spectrum. They just preform slightly better at certain peaks. If your LED's peak slightly lower or higher you won't notice a difference. Any blue ones will work fine. White too. Only need 1 or 2 for most rubbermaid grows.

Low watt flouro (one of the 10 watter) could work too..not very bright.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisiblezerozero
Stranger

Re: Light suggestions [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3318415 - 11/04/04 02:12 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

never noticed a difference in pinning when using more or less light?? and you mean one led per tub!?? wow! leds are the most efficeint lights by far, so thats good.

Offlineatomic1
enthusiast
Male

Loc: Appalachia
    #3318425 - 11/04/04 02:16 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

1. Why would you put holes in your clear lid?
2. Why not just get a $5 gro-flouro from wal-mart and screw it under the lid? And if you wanna hide it throw a sheet over it instead of buying another tub to hide the tub?

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Light suggestions [Re: atomic1]
    #3318455 - 11/04/04 02:25 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Not more or less intensity really. I've used a single 15 watt night light for a martha like setup to do 12 1 quart casings just fine. However..I have noticed longer lengths of time the light is on prior to pinning helps. After that once they start growing I have noticed that a longer dark period helps grow thicker mushrooms.

Yes on led per small tub. Like a 40 quarter..you might need two if your tub is longer. I wouldn't go over 4..they are cheap and efficient so you can easily put 4 in. If my friend was to be doing this right now he might be using 4 Super bright blue LEDs..one in each corner..but not right in the corner..a little toward the center for nice even coverage but in a large rubbermaid bin (the largest he could find at home depot).

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
    #3318473 - 11/04/04 02:33 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Hey... kinda off topic(sorry.. I'm the master hijacker)..

If you guys want to try some new light cycles and have the money, try this. X10 home automation hooked up through computer lets you control any outlet by schedule down to minutes.(I think the whole starter set cost $49)

I've been testing new light cycles for 3 terrariums... 12hr on/12hr off during pinning and then 2hr57min off/3 min on for grow. It's really hard to tell if the grow is better, but fruits are definitely bigger. I do have few confused mushrooms that seems to go left then up, left then up, left then up... they look like snakes a bit.

If anyone wants to mess with it to see if you also see the difference, let me know.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Invisiblezerozero
Stranger

Re: Light suggestions [Re: atomic1]
    #3318489 - 11/04/04 02:38 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

the holes in the lid would be to let air in, thats if he did't cut holes in the sides.

and like i said the only real reason you might not want to put a light under the lid would be because 100% humidity + electricity = problems,

and heat build up might be too much.
but i said that already.
and the extra tub flipped upside down onto of the bottom tub might allow you to hang the light in the top tub, therefore not exposing the bulb to humidity and not getting you bottom tub too warm. and keeping it stealth.

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: Light suggestions [Re: zerozero]
    #3318557 - 11/04/04 03:36 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

LED is very low powered. No need to worry about heat. And LEDs can easily run off from battery.. no need to worry about short causing much damage.

If you keep a light inside, you really don't have to worry too much about humidity. Higher temp of the light will ward off condensation on the light or things attached to the light. The RH immediately around the light would be less than 99% because of localized hot spot. But you do need to worry about condensation from elsewhere falling on the light fixture. A plastic cover above the light will do really well against that. Even a metal one will do well in most cases.

There is something you shouldn't put inside, though... A circuit board doesn't create enough heat to protect itselt and may become susceptable to condensation. This can short easily if you are using high voltage. Pure water(condensed water from pod should be clean distillate) isn't very conductive, so battery circuit board will be okay as long as you protect it from rust. This can be accomplished using resin coating(or you can use glue gun) to cover the circuit.

Good luck.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Light suggestions [Re: Sam1912]
    #3319086 - 11/04/04 09:28 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Like sam said lights and humidity shouldnt be a problem in most cases (long as the lamp doesnt have exposed wires, poorly rigged up jobs ect) I have multiple lights and humidifiers and fans within the chambers themselves along with the power strips and extention cords powering them all. Hasn't been a problem yet. No circuit boards though, I'd be willing to bet they wouldnt be good.

--------------------

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.

Loc: Middle of nowhere
    #3319212 - 11/04/04 09:56 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

if you need to go on the cheap cheap, go to a dollar store or wal*mart and get yourself an extension cord and night light for a $1 a piece. i found a timer for $4 at wal*mart, so my lighting setup for one tub was only $6 + tax... and i'm always on the cheap cheap.

haven't had a problem since i put it in the chamber... but you would want to silicon/caulk the thing to the lid.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck