Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Herb Grinder

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
angle grinder to high speed drill
    #3317381 - 11/03/04 11:40 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I've read that you convert an angle grinder to a ultra high RPM drill for log cultivation. You can see a picture of a converted Makita grinder on www.mushroompeople.com. I just searched www.mushworld.com and google and I can't seem to find any information on making the conversions. Does anyone know anything about this?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: angle grinder to high speed drill [Re: YidakiMan]
    #3318480 - 11/04/04 04:35 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Could not find anything about the conversion on the internet.
When you look at the parts drawing of a makita angle grinder you can see that you have to find a chuck that fits onto the spindle (part no. 37).
I am not sure if there are already chucks that fit onto it or if you will have to modify the spindle or chuck by making a screw thread or something similar ?

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: angle grinder to high speed drill [Re: ragadinks]
    #3318922 - 11/04/04 10:30 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

here's the scoop (which i learned at a mushroompeople shiitake workshop):

the makita grinder they sell (sold?) is modified by 1 guy who apparently has a good hookup on the parts. when i was at the workshop we were informed that this guy had mysteriously disappeared recently. as such, they had no units for sale and didn't know if they ever would again. bear in mind that this was almost exactly 1 year ago.

i did get to use one of these units and they are indeed powerful and fast for the job at hand. definitely worth the $$$.

i have several inside sources for power tools and parts as i work in construction. i contacted several different vendors through personally acquainted agents. all of them were capable of supplying a modified angle grinder but at rather ridiculous prices. they even admitted the prices to be extreme (~$500-$1,000) but there was adequate explanation. fitting these parts and keeping them within a safe spec requires expensive parts and knowledgeable modification. the prices are only thinkable when units are purchased in ~1000 unit lots. and then it becomes a major business investment.

the best price/performance ratio i got was from Hilti tools. from what i remember, they actually had an angle grinder with matching chuck. the chuck cost almost as much as the grinder because it was rated for such high speeds and abuse. IIRC, the unit would have run ~$700. the huge upside being that Hilti tools are ultimately badass and carry lifetime warranties. My rep assured me that since there would be no mods required the warranty would remain intact. Your not gonna get that with any other manufacturer.

i would suggest that you contact mushroompeople and see if they are still offering this product. it's a good price for what seemed to be a good tool. personally, i'll be using my $270 DeWalt cordless this year. i expect to be knocking up ~200 logs this fall. i think the Dewalt will be up to the task and it is certainly more versatile than a modded angle grinder.

Offlinexistenz
Stranger

Re: angle grinder to high speed drill [Re: debianlinux]
    #3319547 - 11/04/04 01:46 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

what's the difference between that and a high powered right angle drill?

OfflineAnand
AutisticShroomer
 User Gallery

Loc: 30 miles From Amsterdam
Trusted Cultivator
Re: angle grinder to high speed drill [Re: xistenz]
    #3319591 - 11/04/04 01:57 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

http://www.makita.com/Tools_Item_View.asp?id=324

maybe a part of the normal makita angle drills could be the thing we are looking for... don't know what part...

just quit my job... :frown: i did electrical maintenance on 100+ makita machines and had access to these grinders.

also the gear ratio is for torque not for speed and wouldn't like holding one when it jams, so i would go for a normal drill but might check next week on my old job if it might be possible.

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: angle grinder to high speed drill [Re: Anand]
    #3320481 - 11/04/04 05:39 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

> maybe a part of the normal makita angle drills could be the thing we are looking for... don't know what part...
> just quit my job... i did electrical maintenance on 100+ makita machines and had access to these grinders.
Great to have an expert here !

I found this high speed drill at www.mycosource.com:

What do you think about it ? Or would a normal router work ?

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: angle grinder to high speed drill [Re: ragadinks]
    #3320638 - 11/04/04 06:17 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

the pictured drill is the type typically found on shiitake farms... of which i have visited a few.

they work superb until your forearms catch fire and your tendons melt. the big advantage to those makitas is that they are lightweight and can easily be operated with 2 hands but allows you to free a hand a for log rolling and such. of course, you can always take breaks or swap jobs with your help.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Herb Grinder

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms