Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
disenfranchised with American politics... (non-partisan rant)
    #3315602 - 11/03/04 05:09 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

its not just one particular party. They both suck.

Some whiney Democrats have been going around saying that 52% of voters are idiots. But in my opinion, its closer to 99%

Once again we have seen that the political decision-making process is more dominated by emotion than logic. Neither candidate had a logically consistent position, and it was the strength of emotional appeal that won the voter.

In a society where logic is respected and appreciated, both candidates would have been laughed off the stage. They wouldn't have even been nominated in the first place.

I'm pretty sure that American voters wouldn't even know a logically consistent opinion if they saw one. A candidate could run for office and have a bulletproof plan to solve America's problems, and he still wouldn't get elected. Why? Because the plan would undoubtedly involve pissing a lot of people off by telling them things they don't want to hear.

like it or not, Americans are primarily emotional creatures, and our cognitive abilities are highly over-appraised. In a contest between logical appeal and emotional appeal, emotion will always win out. Which is exactly why no one ever tries to run a logical campaign. The struggle between right and left has devolved into a struggle between one form of emotional appeal and another. This time, baseless fear won out over baseless empathy. But either way, those who think logically would have been screwed.

Anyway, this post is my way of saying "fuck the system" and also fuck any of those people who voted for either candidate, because they are both incompetant scumbags.

If voters want a better america, they need to stop paying attention to their emotions so much and focus on reason.

there is no political place for a logical person in a society run by emotional demagoguery. That's why I didn't vote, and I stand by that decision.

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

Re: disenfranchised with American politics... (non-partisan rant) [Re: DoctorJ]
    #3315615 - 11/03/04 05:14 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Run as an independent next season.

--------------------
"...yet another in a long series of diversions an attempt to avoid responsibility."

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger

Re: disenfranchised with American politics... (non-partisan rant) [Re: Viaggio]
    #3315626 - 11/03/04 05:16 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I fear that voters would be too scared/greedy/bleeding hearted to listen to anything I have to say.

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
    #3315716 - 11/03/04 05:44 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Great fucking analysis.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #3317778 - 11/04/04 01:00 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Did you mean to say "disenchanted with American politics"? I fail to see how you have been disenfranchised. Who disenfranchised you? The 99% of American voters who are idiots?

pinky

--------------------

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: disenfranchised with American politics... (non-partisan rant) [Re: Phred]
    #3317794 - 11/04/04 01:03 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

:rolleyes:

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger

Re: disenfranchised with American politics... (non-partisan rant) [Re: Phred]
    #3319021 - 11/04/04 11:03 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

hmmm... you are right

'disenchanted' would probably be a better word

although I do like the connotation of 'disenfranchised'

I mean, our current two-party system pretty much deprives me of an intelligent choice. Of course, its the people who support the system (99% of voters) that piss me off the most

Politicians have gotten very good at appealing to the voter's personal predjudices, distracting them from possibly making a rational choice.

doesn't the fact that almost no one voted for a candidate with a logically consistent popsition kind of make you lose faith in the individual's capability to make rational decisions?

the cognitive defecit of the individual is taken advantage of, and the devolution of the american people continues...

--------------------

Anonymous

#3319103 - 11/04/04 11:31 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I completely agree with you.

I voted for Badnarik because, logically, he seemed like the best choice. There was no emotion involved in his campaign, just straight up facts. The reason Kerry and Bush got 99% of the vote is because people are lazy, emotional, and gullible, with a pinch of stupid.

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger

Re: disenfranchised with American politics... (non-partisan rant) [Re: ]
    #3319332 - 11/04/04 12:33 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I would have voted for Badnarik, but the fact that almost no one else did kind of makes me lose faith in the Libertarian contention that the individual is capable of making good choices.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #3319338 - 11/04/04 12:38 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

DoctorJ said:
I would have voted for Badnarik, but the fact that almost no one else did kind of makes me lose faith in the Libertarian contention that the individual is capable of making good choices.

The libertarian contention is that the individual is capable of making good decisions for themselves, not for other people.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger

Re: disenfranchised with American politics... (non-partisan rant) [Re: silversoul7]
    #3319406 - 11/04/04 01:00 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

how is deciding who your president is going to be "making a choice for someone else"?

everyone had a choice, and they all failed miserably.

--------------------

Offlineoggleman
Stranger
Male
Loc: Chicago
Re: disenfranchised with American politics... (non-partisan rant) [Re: silversoul7]
    #3319698 - 11/04/04 02:23 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
The libertarian contention is that the individual is capable of making good decisions for themselves, not for other people.

Thats right, fuck compassion, fuck empathy, fuck looking out for each other. Numero uno! Me! Money! Power! Me me me me me!!

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#3319927 - 11/04/04 03:14 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

I mean, our current two-party system pretty much deprives me of an intelligent choice. Of course, its the people who support the system (99% of voters) that piss me off the most.

Please explain "deprives me of an intelligent choice." Did you not have the choice to vote for Badnarik or Nader or Peroutka or whoever? Does your state not allow write-in votes?

I still fail to see how the fact that most people vote either Republican or Democrat for the presidency prevents you from voting for whomever you wish. As it happens, you didn't vote at all, so if anyone "disenfranchised" you it was DoctorJ.

Politicians have gotten very good at appealing to the voter's personal predjudices, distracting them from possibly making a rational choice.

They didn't distract you, did they? Nor did they distract the forty two per cent of voters who did the same as you and voted for neither party's candidate . I fail to see the problem.

pinky

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: disenfranchised with American politics... (non-partisan rant) [Re: oggleman]
    #3319956 - 11/04/04 03:20 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Thats right, fuck compassion, fuck empathy, fuck looking out for each other. Numero uno! Me! Money! Power! Me me me me me!!

To paraphrase Bastiat, why do you believe those who hold that the government shouldn't legislate compassion, empathy, and looking out for each other also hold that such things shouldn't be done at all?

Can you still not grasp the difference between actions freely performed and actions impelled by the threat of force?

pinky

--------------------

OfflineAaronEvil
The GuitarVillain
Male

Loc: California
    #3320073 - 11/04/04 03:46 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

DoctorJ said:Once again we have seen that the political decision-making process is more dominated by emotion than logic. Neither candidate had a logically consistent position, and it was the strength of emotional appeal that won the voter.

If voters want a better america, they need to stop paying attention to their emotions so much and focus on reason.

I couldnt agree with you more. I dont think the problem is a TWO party system, I think the problem is a PARTY SYSTEM. Without a party system everyone would be forced to look at the ideas and plans. I think every party is build on emotion. Im non-partisant because I dont want to be affiliated with any party. I think democrats, republicans, libertarians, green party supporters all have one thing in common... they vote on emotion. Libertarian votes Libertarian. Why? Because they have an emotional connection to that party from being a member of it. Eliminate the party system as a whole and you eliminate voting on emotion. Bush couldnt have been re-elected without the party system. His biggest accomplishment is the nation greatest tradgedy. You didnt see Lincolns party run their re-election campaign on theater security. Point and case, we need intelligent people running the country.

--------------------

There is not a lot of difference between a fox hole and a grave; but knowing that you dug your ditch and climbed in anyway.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion