Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDeQuincy
Paddo hunter

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: Poppies [Re: recalcitrant]
    #3376909 - 11/17/04 10:18 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:
"Below and to the right of that beautiful flower, that thing that looks like a brussel sprout, is that an pod that hasn't flowered yet? And then they flower. And then you get the seed pod that looks like most of the rest of those in the picture? "

Yes and yes. You got your three basic stages there in that one pic. Although the pod on the left needs about another week before harvest...

And remember folks: THIS is the time to be planting seeds in the Northern hemisfere.

--------------------
there's no vestige of a beginning no prospect of an end
(hutton)
if you came to conquer, you'll be king for a day, but you too will deteriorate and quickly fade away...
you have NO CONTROL
(bad religion)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

Loc: Canada West
Re: Poppies [Re: DeQuincy]
    #3378633 - 11/18/04 09:20 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

It's all freezing during winter here in Canada. I'll go look for the climate zone I'm in, but I expect temps of -20 for months and months. You still sure I should be planting?

edit: looks like I'm in 3a on the map at this post. It does get incredible cold sometimes. I'd really like a PGFtek for dummies.

--------------------

We have to answer our own prayers

Edited by recalcitrant (11/18/04 03:58 PM)

OfflineDeQuincy
Paddo hunter

#3381931 - 11/18/04 09:41 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Eh, minus twenty?
Well, I still think you can (see I droped the "should") plant during freezing. The seed will know when to germinate. In you case probably somewhere in april or even may.
Depending on the how long your next summer wil last, you can have you poppy harvest. It is quite a hardy plant, you see.
By planting in winter it has the chance to "sense" the comming of spring and get a head start.

--------------------
(hutton)
if you came to conquer, you'll be king for a day, but you too will deteriorate and quickly fade away...
you have NO CONTROL
(bad religion)

Offlinetheocean06
Yeah, I've donefour already...

#3384427 - 11/19/04 01:17 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

no, if you go below freezing then do not put the seeds in the ground now. Just put them in the ground the first day of/early spring and you will be fine.

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

OfflineDeQuincy
Paddo hunter

Re: Poppies [Re: theocean06]
    #3387667 - 11/20/04 02:38 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

My personal experience is that medium frost is no problem for poppy seeds. Minus 20 is not medium, I realise.

I have seen small seedlings withstand several degrees minus zero centigrade! These are hardy buggars! This gives them a head start to other weeds. Something they wont have if one plants them in spring.

So, what to do?
Depends on ones situation. If you have only a handful of seeds and plan to tend a plot in your back yard. Than do as TheOcean said, plant early spring and care for them.

If on the other hand you have a pound or more seeds, and plan to do a little guerilla farming, than I'd advise an other stategy. Guerilla spots cannot be tended so the head start, fall planting gives them is most important in the competing with other weeds.
Spring planting will give smaller plants and pods. Especially when the growing season is as short as it is in North Canada.
Or try your own little experiment: plant part of you seeds now, and the other part in the spring.
And don't forget to report you findings here.

Good luck.

--------------------
(hutton)
you have NO CONTROL
(bad religion)

Offlinetheocean06

#3389037 - 11/20/04 12:13 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Well, I should explain what I plan on doing. See, I'm going to put them out in February so it will give them enough time to settle in but it will be past the below zero temperatures that I get in December/January. It's just that I have heard from many different sources that if where you live, you go below zero then do not plant them in the ground in the fall. That below zero is in Fahrenheit, not Celsius, and so 0 Fahrenheit = about -18 Celsius.

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
    #3389221 - 11/20/04 12:59 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Poppies are beutiful, but you must be careful when you use them. Know your dosage, also space your usage out. Don't use them all the time, you do not want that monkey on your back.

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

OfflineDeQuincy
Paddo hunter

Re: Poppies [Re: theocean06]
    #3392127 - 11/21/04 03:26 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:
"That below zero is in Fahrenheit, not Celsius, and so 0 Fahrenheit = about -18 Celsius. "

Right! :laugh:
I must admid, I didn't realise you where in the Anglo Saxon world.
So we still use different temperature standards, silly us.
But all in all you got a sound plan there.  :thumbup:

And I would like to second gdman's advise. Everybody be carefull: this is a powerful plant. It is an angel with a hellish dark side.
So remember kids:

The only use for poppy pods is in dried floral arrangements.

:tongue2:

--------------------
(hutton)
you have NO CONTROL
(bad religion)

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
    #3392999 - 11/21/04 12:41 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

that's a nice pic.

Offlinetheocean06

#3393274 - 11/21/04 02:13 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah that's a very nice picture, I hope to get a few bundles of those myself :grin:

--------------------

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #3473766 - 12/09/04 10:51 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

should you knwo the person who grew those. mayeb you could ask them this. do they get good results (in comparison with scratching) with using whole pods and extracting/makign teas?

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder