Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleCannonE
Stranger
Damn the green
    #329061 - 05/29/01 06:31 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

I am new to cultivation, and am trying this site's Wizard method w/ brown rice flour and vermiculite. The sterilization was with boiling water for 30 minutes....etc. Most of my jars however have mycelium growth and green (Mold?) crap in them. Are these throw aways, or once the mycelium grows out will it be able to be planted for fruiting? Thanks for the help.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedump19

Re: Damn the green [Re: CannonE]
    #329134 - 05/29/01 07:34 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Slice and dice that shit off. worked for my. Just make sure you get it ALL

Never sell the sheep's hide when you can sell the wool

--------------------
Never sell the sheep's hide when you can sell the wool

Offlinenononsense
enthusiast

#329356 - 05/30/01 12:17 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

It never grows out, better when not certain wich contam it is to make new cakes/casings!

--------------------

OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

Re: Damn the green [Re: nononsense]
    #329401 - 05/30/01 01:51 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Green mold is a huge pain in the ass...it would be fantastic if we could figure something out to combat this stuff...

Here is what I have been doing on my lastest casing:

My green mold is only showing up in small spots around the casing. Even though it is showing up in small spots it is most certainly probably growing in a large portion of the casing. I have been spraying the parts that pop up directly with some disenfectant. This has allowed for at least a decent amount of my shrooms to grow to maturity. However don't even try this unless you know that you are being careful with the disenfectant and you are not using a kind that is toxic to humans. You also have to be sure that you do indeed have green mold and that what you really have is not pathogenic. There are probably better methods out there then this....but its what I am doing and it works for me.

Karen

*MAKE THE SHROOMERY A BETTER PLACE!*
Visit the suggestion forum regularly. Respond to posts already there or create your own. Be an active participant in ALL aspects of this community!

Offlinedumlovesyou
retired shroomer
 User Gallery

Loc: One dimension
    #329885 - 05/30/01 04:36 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Sometime it works to take out the green mold, but sometimes it doesn.t. A friend of mine did a casing with some old cakes with some green and yellow mold without seeing them and they started to grow as mushrooms grew. But after he took that shit apart everything was just fine. I think that is because the mycelium was strong enough to combat the green mold itself. We have a third flush now. Cool. Be careful with the jars. They can contaminate everything. Better do other.
I wish you luck!!

I see trees of green, psylocibe mushrooms too
I see them bloom for me and you
And I think to myself what a wonderful world

--------------------
I see trees of green, psylocibe mushrooms too
I see them bloom for me and you
And I think to myself what a wonderful world

Offlinenononsense
enthusiast

Re: Damn the green [Re: dumlovesyou]
    #330264 - 05/30/01 11:59 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Molds appear to grow on the outerside, but in fact they can have long pieces of mycelium pentrating the substrate!
Therefore when removing you should cut deeper than only the visible part of the contam!

--------------------

Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

Loc: Sandy Eggo. Ca.
    #331332 - 06/01/01 03:16 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

you arent boiling your jars long enough at all....
boil your jars for about an hour and a half, make sure you watch the water level, if it evaporates, your jars will crack.

~fortyounces2freedom~ & ~disconnectedhaze~

Support the FSR!!

--------------------
:pacman: - - - -  :pill: :mushroom2: :pill2: :mushroom2: :regularshroom: :mushroomgrow: :pill: :pill2: :mushroom2: :poison:

:sun::heart::sun:

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

Re: Damn the green [Re: 40oz]
    #331347 - 06/01/01 04:11 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

ya know i hear a lot of people mention baking soda used for helping fight this stuff off....I'm not really sure how effective it is or not...but what I am wondering is if you put baking soda in your substrate jars what that would do?

would it cause your mycelia not to grow? would it keep the green mold from growing?

It's three in the morning and I had a quick thought and am too brainless right now to really think it through so I thought I would just post it and you all can do the thinking for me!!!

:)

I would probably have forgotten by morning if I didn't post it.

Karen

Visit the suggestion forum & be active in ALL aspects of the community!
When you are done go visit the FSR!

Offlineegghead
veteran
Loc: Milky Way
Re: Damn the green [Re: Karen]
    #331353 - 06/01/01 04:40 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Karen.. It would throw your ph way high. Mycelia would have a hard time growing.

* Do the Free Spore Thing

--------------------
Where there's skill, there's a better way..

Offline*HeGz*
old hand
    #331427 - 06/01/01 08:28 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Get a pressure cooker, if not, boil your ajrs for at least 60 minutes. Put a rag on the bottom of your pot so the jars do not make contact with the bottom and crack.

Please could you stop the noise I'm trying to get some rest
From all the unborn chicken voices in my head
What's there, what's there
**FSR RULES!!***

OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

Re: Damn the green [Re: egghead]
    #331729 - 06/01/01 03:26 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Egghead,

Yeah you are right. I would have thought of that if it hadn't been 3am. I am sure that is the precise reason why people use baking soda to try and fight it....so the mold has more trouble growing.

Now one question to consider is to maybe include in our information on contams is what PH they prefer to grow in.
Here's why....

My main problem with contams is green mold. I have never even had another single type of contam at all (at least that I have seen). Not that I have a lot of experience but it is all I have had. Now if Green mold preferes a slightly basic ph then maybe I would want to try to go a slight bit more acidic then i usually do. I am not talking about any drastic changes or of course this would adversely affect the mycleia...but if you do it in the slightest bit from what your main contam problem is then it might help curb that a bit. Sure it could then invite the contams who prefer it a little more acidic but if you don't have as many spores in your house of those contams you may have a little easier time....

Might be worth looking into.

What is everyones thoughts on this??? Am I waaaay off base or might there be some rational thought buried in my lack of knowledge?

Karen

Visit the suggestion forum & be active in ALL aspects of the community!
When you are done go visit the FSR!

OfflineTaz
veteran
Re: Damn the green [Re: Karen]
    #332065 - 06/02/01 12:22 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

ok, let me say that a too hot terraium is not a good thing to have. I have found that the green mold will thrive and spread really quickly when sitting in temps as high as 82 degrees. I have much less problems at around 75 degrees...

Here is my suggestion; when it appears get rid of the cake are casing right away. now if U plan on cutting it out U would be better to have a 2nd tank are something you could isolate just that cake are casing. because I have seen failed surgery atemps many atime. This way your not taking the chance on infecting every thing else in the 1st tank...

"Out of chaos...comes order...."

--------------------
"Most of the world's problems are caused by people taking things that do not belong to them..."

OfflineTaz
veteran
Re: Damn the green [Re: Taz]
    #332067 - 06/02/01 12:27 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

I forgot to and something here...If it recovers in the "hospital" tank then great. But, if it comes back then trash the cake are casing. It's not worth the effort after 1 surgery attempt. Make sure U sterilize the "hospital" tank incase U need it again. I use a 5 gallon plastic bucket for mine, and a small rubbermaid for casings...

"Out of chaos...comes order...."

--------------------
"Most of the world's problems are caused by people taking things that do not belong to them..."

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds