Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
I'm going to vote now...
    #3308729 - 11/02/04 12:55 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Tell me your voting stories, and I'll tell you mine... as soon as I get back.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleusefulidiot
It's notfascist, it's...Neoconservative!

Re: I'm going to vote now... [Re: Rose]
    #3308741 - 11/02/04 12:59 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I've decided not to play their game and vote because this election is obviously fixed. Have fun.

InvisibleStein
Stranger
 User Gallery

#3308744 - 11/02/04 01:00 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Don't forget your sticker

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: I'm going to vote now... [Re: Stein]
    #3308891 - 11/02/04 01:35 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Well, that was easy and painless.

Good thing I don't live in a battleground state.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Offlinenanananotehead
The Will or TheWay

Re: I'm going to vote now... [Re: Stein]
    #3308902 - 11/02/04 01:37 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

The collective ages of the hundreds of old people at my polling place must have topped 56,000 years. Almost everyone was over 80. I think I only saw one or two people under 30 years old the entire time. I was happy though, It took me less than 4 minutes to get in and out and vote for Badnarik. I wont cry tonite when Bush wins, I'll keep dreaming of the day when I can move to Montreal. FUCKING CANADA ROCKS

--------------------
CEPHALIC CARNAGE__ CEPHALICCARNAGE.NET

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: I'm going to vote now... [Re: nanananotehead]
    #3308910 - 11/02/04 01:39 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I saw a lot of old folks too. Kinda' figured it was because I voted in the middle of a work day.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Invisible1stimer
Religion=Rape
Loc: Amerika
    #3308929 - 11/02/04 01:44 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I voted for Kerry but I live in Kansas so it doesnt matter.

--------------------
ash dingy donker mo gollyhopper patty popiton rockstop bueno mayo riggedy jig bobber johnathan pattywhacker gogboob t-shirt monkey.

There is such emotion in the distortion.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: I'm going to vote now... [Re: 1stimer]
    #3308942 - 11/02/04 01:48 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I live in NY, it doesn't matter for me either. Still, voting feels good.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
    #3308970 - 11/02/04 01:57 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I have been spending so much time surpressing the vote that I hardly have any time to vote myself.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: I'm going to vote now... [Re: JesusChrist]
    #3308972 - 11/02/04 01:58 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

:lol:

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #3308976 - 11/02/04 02:00 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I voted with all the old people. I don't think I saw a single person under 50 voting. Thankfully I remembered to wear my end social security t-shirt.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: I'm going to vote now... [Re: z@z.com]
    #3308981 - 11/02/04 02:01 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I was by far in the way, the shaggiest person voting.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Anonymous

#3308994 - 11/02/04 02:06 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

i just walked right in and voted.

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: I'm going to vote now... [Re: ]
    #3309099 - 11/02/04 02:27 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I voted for Badnarik a couple weeks ago by absentee ballot, so I just got to watch all the crazy Kerry kids here on campus. Every corner was filled with them. I couldn't resist but to heckle them and then see them flip out, it brightened my day.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
Re: I'm going to vote now... [Re: ]
    #3309127 - 11/02/04 02:33 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I voted for Cobb. I had to fucking write him in.

It was an extremely hard decision. I had been going back and forth between him and Badnarik over the past few weeks. On many many issues, I'm closer to the libertarian platform. I have a strong desire to see smaller government. I want public money to stop being spent on welfare. I want federal money to stop going towards healthcare and, to some degree, education. I think that Social Security is a disaster. I want to see federal taxes reduced by at least half for every American, though I still support a toned down income tax.

However... these issues are kinda far from where my I am in my life. For a long time now, I've been pursuing geology. And I got involved with the environmental side of geology about three years ago. I'm in love with the field and, if possible, intend to spend the rest of my life working in it. Naturally, I've become familiar with environmental issues and hold them as my highest political issue. And although I don't think it's our biggest environmental problem, I study ideas of global warming. Mostly because it coincides with geology nicely. I'm currently working part time as a research assistant with a marine science professor on a project to catalog salinity data off the coast of Canada. I think everyone should, on some level, become familiar with the science around the issues and learn what they can.

That being said... I've come to the conclusion that libertarianism has some of the worst environmental policies of any modern political party. I'm not saying these policies are diabolically evil. They're more like side effects of what is, in many ways, a beautiful ideology. A few of these effects are good. But the vast majority, even by the admission of most libertarians I've met, aren't good. The truth is, they're terrible. In many cases, such as global warming, the position of libertarians has been to deny the problem does or even could exist. And so, in some ways, that's what my vote boiled down to. I know it probably seems silly. But if I were a pathologist whose main priority in life was to study a potentially dangerous disease in hopes of finding a cure, I don't think I could vote for a president who not only doesn't support my work, but refuses to believe the disease exists.

There are other concerns I have with libertarianism as well. There are many areas where I think we need some sort of federal regulation in this country. One of my biggest is media ownership laws. Another is food and drug laws. I'm not going to support the FCC or the FDA. I simply think there needs to be something there... This all leads to something. I don't think libertarianism has every single base covered. I think that many people within the party will admit this. But there's little that can be done because of the party's rigidity. It's a philosophical ideal. It's a damn good one. But it's not perfect. And, unfortunately, it will be forever stuck in this condition. I've noticed that this has a tendency result in a sort of hubris, especially when it comes to the environment. Rather than admit to its problems, the libertarian party would apparently rather try to contort its ideals and pass the result off as a solution...

On the other hand, the party I voted for, the Green Party, is not even close to approaching perfection. In many ways, it's a total mess. But, the potential for improvement is there. I don't think there are many Greens in existence who don't want to reform certain aspects of their own party. As anyone could probably guess from my first paragraph, I'm nowhere near the Green stance on how to handle the economy in a moral way. However, on most other issues, I've been pleased to find that I'm in fierce agreement with the party. From corporate justice, to trade agreements, to drug laws, to the environment, to our civil liberties (though I'm closer to Badnarik when it comes to gun ownership).

Even though I don't consider myself a Green, all of these factors, combined with the general spirit of the party, eventually led me to vote for Cobb. But it was an extremely hard decision. And, to be honest, the whole process has left me feeling shitty. This was the first national election I've ever voted in. The experience itself felt good. Voting third party felt very good. But coming to terms with the whole thing afterwards really makes you think... Well, whatever. Let's all hope for the best.

:cheers:

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
Loc: Gallifrey
    #3309142 - 11/02/04 02:37 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I voted at about 6:30am this morning. It went nice and smooth. There were about 40 or 50 people there from when I got there to when I left. Pretty good turnout, way more than usual. No real story to relate, which I guess is good. We don't need or want scandal this time around.

--------------------
Happiness is a warm gun...

OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Where Art Meets Crime
    #3309300 - 11/02/04 03:22 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

im registering to vote in a new district in my city while i hear a conversation between two polling staff-members...
" Who let this registration card through?"
"Why?"
"There's no new or old address writen on the card."
"Hmmm, that shouldnt have happened...."

that person easily could have voted multiple times today in other districts if he/she pulled this off successfully.
oh well, nothing could prepare those octagenarians for the onsluaght of people...
it took me me about 20 minutes of waiting in line to vote,
not bad i guess, considering it was pretty crowded at lunch time.

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #3309459 - 11/02/04 04:05 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I just cast my ballot for Badnarik. I wasn't on the roster for some reason(apparently this happened to quite a few university students), so they had me fill out a paper provisional ballot. I voted Libertarian pretty much across the board except for State Senator, in which case there was only a Democrat and a Republican on the ballot. In that case, I voted for the Republican, just because I feel that California's legislature is far too liberal and could use some balance. I'm with Gijith when he says that voting third party felt very good. In 2000, I held my nose and voted for Gore. In this election, I actually walked away feeling good about myself and the choices I made.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: I'm going to vote now... [Re: usefulidiot]
    #3309462 - 11/02/04 04:05 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

I've decided not to play their game and vote because this election is obviously fixed. Have fun.

then you have no right to complain - so stop posting here.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: I'm going to vote now... [Re: Vvellum]
    #3309471 - 11/02/04 04:07 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Everyone has a right to complain. There's much to be said for the non-voting strategy, especially if you're not satisfied with any of the candidates.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion