Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
Why vote???
    #3308607 - 11/02/04 12:15 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Pondering this today as I saw the 100s flock to polling centers in my state. The line is long and some are 2+ hours. Outside of easy excuses like civil duty and it's your right to vote WHY should you vote? We all know the reasons why people don't vote and that's because we're lazy as hell!! Almost all of us compromise some belief in some issues to vote for a major party candidate which isn't the democratic way. Also what if your state is going to the opposite party then what say so do you have in controlling that. Even if you win your county youll still be outnumbered historically by the opposing parties votes in other counties. Any good explanations as why we vote, barring civic duty and not voting then you don't have a place to complain. Suggestions please!

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineWorf
Lt. Commander

Loc: Final Frontier
Re: Why vote??? [Re: socratesmind]
    #3308636 - 11/02/04 12:24 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Even if your state is clearly going to go one way it is still important to vote. One reason is to at least see if there are any increasing or decreasing trends in politcal views. If everyone just accepted that their state was republican and never voted there would never be any change. Just like it is here in Utah.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #3308656 - 11/02/04 12:30 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

no vote = no right to complain.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Why vote??? [Re: Innvertigo]
    #3311414 - 11/02/04 10:34 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

vote = no right to complain

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Offlinephi1618
old hand

#3311434 - 11/02/04 10:37 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

The actions of the federal gov't have significant impact on your life.

Voting is one of the primary ways you can influence the actions of the federal gov't.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Re: Why vote??? [Re: phi1618]
    #3311499 - 11/02/04 10:53 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Tell me, how many elections in which I've voted (every one since I was 18, I am now 43) would have had the outcome change had I changed my one vote?

Tell me, how many of those candidates that I voted for that did win, kept all their campaign promises?

Can you tell me that none of the state initiatives that I voted for have been challenged by government employees and overturned on legal rationalizations?

(Here are the answers: 0, 0, No)

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineMister Black
smokes pot

Re: Why vote??? [Re: Evolving]
    #3311580 - 11/02/04 11:05 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Voting is a great way for the government to help people feel less helpless. When you think about the world around you and realize that it is huge and you are tiny, you feel a sense of hopelessness about the future. Voting helps relieve that. Its a lot like the way television relieves boredom: When watching tv you're still bored, but you're spaced out enough not to notice.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Re: Why vote??? [Re: Mister Black]
    #3311736 - 11/02/04 11:38 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Voting is an important safety valve well appreciated by the ruling elite. Getting people to vote is a technique of mobilizing them in order to immobilize them. Apart from the stated purpose of any specific vote, voters become passive, weakly reflexive, non-individuals, the supreme expression of mass-men who believe they have power as part of the collective voice (though their beliefs are not a reflection of reality). The public indoctrination systems - which include public education, polling, TV and movie fiction, news media, and government information services all work to condition the people to believe in the ritualistic activities of the secular religion known as 'the democratic process.' Once the new priests are safely ordained, the system goes back to business as usual, promises are broken or forgotten and 'pragmatism' is the order of the day as palms are greased and the legal wizards continue their machinations of consolidating and increasing their power - part of which entails creating obstacles to political interlopers who may try to breach the walls of the state during the next ritual election cycle.

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Why vote??? [Re: Evolving]
    #3311758 - 11/02/04 11:42 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

"I've said it before and I'll say it again--Democracy doesn't
work" - Kent Brockman

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion