Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleMykro_Guy
Myco Student
 User Gallery

? for tyvek users
    #3308376 - 11/02/04 11:05 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

my last batch of jars got really dryed out when i used only tyvek and ring but ive read alot of people using this method with WBS....anyone know what i might be doing wrong... i think it might be the simmer time

can anyone out there that uses only tyvek and ring give me a rundown of the tek that works well for them using pints or quarts

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.
 Arcade Champion: Asteroids 2000

Loc: Middle of nowhere
Re: ? for tyvek users [Re: Mykro_Guy]
    #3308392 - 11/02/04 11:09 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

i actually put the tyvek between the ring and the second lid piece because i use two-piece lids. i make sure the tyvek's big enough to cover everything because i cut it myself... post office tyvek.

if you're drying out, it could be because of a lack of lid. i've never done it without a lid, but i'm sure other people will chime in. tyvek's water resistant in the sense it will keep water out, but the holes in the tyvek are not small enough to keep water vapor from escaping...

if that's not the case, i'd say it's the simmer time as you've already conjectured. just wait for someone with more experience than i have to tell you.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
    #3308395 - 11/02/04 11:11 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I just started using tyvek, but I think I have made this observation too.. the jars with just tyvek as a lid dry out more quickly. I made some jars using the regular lid with tyvek over it like Magash does, and it seems to be better.

InvisibleMykro_Guy
Myco Student
 User Gallery

Re: ? for tyvek users [Re: discman1]
    #3308460 - 11/02/04 11:25 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

well how many holes do you make and how do you cover them

im using pints and i dont like covering the lid cuz then i have to find the hole and cover the with somthing and no restrick airflow

whats everyone think about using 2 layers of tyvek and placing a coffee filter over the the top of jar after inoculation to cover the holes

Offlinephantasm
DXM GURU
    #3308493 - 11/02/04 11:36 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

i use just tyvek and tinfoil over top i cover my innoc hole with a bandaid adn thisworks fine with WBS super fast colonization ive never had them dry out since tyvek doesnt let water pass through id have to say it was your water content before innocualting but GL try just injecting some water into the jars with a syringe ( ive heard this speed up colonization times for people with dry jars

-mike

--------------------
Only God Grows Amanita Muscaria

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
    #3308515 - 11/02/04 11:43 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Two for the WBS jars and 4 for the BRF cakes.

put disc on, then the Tyvek, and then the band.

I then feel around the tyvek for where the inoculation hole(s) are, take a pencil and rub it sideways over that area, so you can see where the hole is.

Then of course the obligatory 2 layers of tinfoil, PC and care for as normal. Seems to be working great.

Oh, I just use some waterproof bandage tape over the hole(s) the syringe makes when you knock them up.

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.
 Arcade Champion: Asteroids 2000

Loc: Middle of nowhere
Re: ? for tyvek users [Re: discman1]
    #3308646 - 11/02/04 12:27 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

phantasm, it's not completely waterproof. it still allows water vapor (evaporating water) to escape, so it's still viable that his jar could dry out.

band-aid over the innoc hole is key- they come sterile and fit just right (the round ones for shots). i mark with a sharpie, i love how you can write on tyvek. i always put innoc date and strain on the top of my jars.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: ? for tyvek users [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3308825 - 11/02/04 01:19 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

You can also do the tyvek then inside lid upside down with a hole stuffed with polyfill and knock up through the polyfill/tyvek. That way you don't have to rush putting bandaids on due to the polyfill.

--------------------
Following the rules is for dealers, knowing why the rules work is for innovators.

"Knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoe, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offlinedmtrypr
psychonauticalengineer

Loc: Florida
Re: ? for tyvek users [Re: MadHatR]
    #3308846 - 11/02/04 01:25 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I have used tyvek alone, with polyfil, with coffee filter, and with aluminum foil. The easiest and most effective method I have used thus far is to simply punch a hole in the disc portion of a two-piece lid about .25-.5in. Then I size up a circle of tyvek and place it over the top of my jars (1pint wide-mouth pre-filled 3/4ths w/ soaked WBS). I then put down the metal piece w/ hole punched and then screw down the ring portion of the lid. P.C. or boil, either way it works fine, and let them cool. I always inoculate by lifing up the corner in a clean environment and dumping a spoonful of spawn into it. So far (out of 12+ jars) NO contam and NO drying out, just super-fast colonization.

--------------------
"There is no greater power in heaven and earth than the thought of the son of man. Though unseen by the eyes of the body,yet each thought has mighty strength, even such strength can shake the heavens." -Gospel of the Essenes

Invisiblebotanisthype
P$ylocibe$ounDW@vE!
Male User Gallery

Loc: DECEPTICON MANOR
Re: ? for tyvek users [Re: MadHatR]
    #3308878 - 11/02/04 01:32 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

BEWARE...if condensation drops from your incubator ,drips on to the lid of your jars,water .if left sitting,can actually penetrate the tyvek causing wetspots allowing trich ,to follow throw ,it already happened..ive had fully colonized jars fall victim,from the very spot you see the airholes would be,it was a crazy perspective ,it was LIke a battle of Good and evil,cuz you can see the thick ass myco thrive right over the trich-y area and basically dominated the mold..but the trichy was forming thick and powedery-so ..i to the top half of the jar with trich and beheaded that bitch .now its sitting in the incubator recouping for hopefully a teeny weeny casing.>LOL be strong dear friend! also .becareful of jagged edges pokin holes thru your lids ..it can pierce thru the tvvek and leak in water

--------------------
Please +REP if i've been of any help... thanks!!!

Dinosaur of the Funny Family, though I have short arms, they fit in my GB... lol

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: ? for tyvek users [Re: botanisthype]
    #3310794 - 11/02/04 08:00 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Guys, this is exactly what I and a few others said when this was asked about multiple times a few weeks ago. It can dry them out.

Those who have success with it have their jars stored in a not dry (slightly humid) environment. Be it just where they are ambiant humidity is high or addition of humidity. Use both peices of the lid to make things easier on yourself. Not that it can't work the otherway but you need to make it work.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation