Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Lets make our Convolvulaceae bloom! (HBWR, Rivea, Morning Glory..) [Re: kadakuda]
    #4067440 - 04/18/05 01:30 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah I feel somewhat guilty about cooping them up in a pot, but damnit I feel it's my patriotic duty...or..err.something. Truthfully I'm just at the point where I want them to do their thing, with little interference on my part. Originally I figured the two weaker ones would die off leaving the stronger of the three plants, but instead the originally weaker two are making a strong comeback on the original leader and so It's going to end up in me seperating them rather than killing off the weaker ones, or letting them die, I just know it.

I'd really like to, if the original runt of the three keeps growing like it is (that is to say verticaly unassisted with large leaves), bend it over to another pot and try to layer it into a new plant, by buring part of the stem under the soil in another pot and watering it and what not until it takes root in that pot too, then severing the tie between the two. That way if the seperation of the three original plants goes poorly I can still have a backup plant.

Or I may just move all three to a new bigger, yet still communal, pot.

If things go really well this year, but I still don't see any flowers I very well may try to take a few cuttings and share the wealth around here. I'd very much like to do that anyway, but things don't always work out as planned.

It'd be really nice to see a lot of members of the community here with Rivea plants so that the odds of someone making a significant brakethrough increase dramatically. All you people thinking of what you're going to grow this year should invest your time and money into a couple of rivea plants. Seeds really aren't that expensive, and you can probably find cuttings fairly easily out there too.

--------------------

Without love in the dream
It will never come true

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
Re: Lets make our Convolvulaceae bloom! (HBWR, Rivea, Morning Glory..) [Re: Hooty]
    #4068057 - 04/18/05 07:41 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

i have one HBWR cutting very neglected in a pot and it's got a flower on it.
it's only time that it takes.
now that the fall is setting in the HBWR seems to have felt the lowering of temps, it's flowering like crazy. the first seed pods have not yet matured....
besides that, what i most like about HBWR is that unlike Ipomoeae it doesn't crowds with leaves and invasive growth all over the spot...

FH

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Lets make our Convolvulaceae bloom! (HBWR, Rivea, Morning Glory..) [Re: felixhigh]
    #4068961 - 04/18/05 02:53 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Where are you felix? Somewhere in the southern hemisphere?

--------------------

It will never come true

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
Re: Lets make our Convolvulaceae bloom! (HBWR, Rivea, Morning Glory..) [Re: Hooty]
    #4069131 - 04/18/05 03:38 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

yeah, brazil.

FH

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #4070105 - 04/18/05 07:42 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

^^lucky bum!  guess getting seeds wouldnt be too hard from that plant down there eh?

hooty, doubt youl have any problem repoting or making cuttings.  i wont even begin to tell you what i have done to, or lets say "for", my plants.  one word describes them.  tough.

getting cuttings should work that way.  its one of the ways that mg crap spreads so good.

i still think that just sheer space for it to roam would really help.    i just put the last of my plants outside.  in 2 weeks they will be out of pots and in the dirt ready to be served teh real world :smile:

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Lets make our Convolvulaceae bloom! (HBWR, Rivea, Morning Glory..) [Re: kadakuda]
    #4070302 - 04/18/05 08:42 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

yeah I don't see how a little elbow room would hurt, but this year I'm trying the opposite, if it doesn't work out, next year I'll go with roaming room. Won't hurt to have a lot of different methods going within the community at once either.

--------------------

It will never come true

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

#4070470 - 04/18/05 09:26 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

for sure. im bringing a couple back in to over winter come fall in case it is a time thing.

if anything it will add a little spice to this rose and tulip type style around these parts....

--------------------

OfflineVertigo6911
Entheobotanist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Netherlands
    #4071458 - 04/19/05 02:34 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

i just repotted some MG's...
they reach about 1 meter before the roots start touching the side of my 300ml pots... (about 5 plants per pot)

ive also noticed that they grow ALOT stronger and faster when sowed in a bunch, as opposed to spreading them out over the pot.
after 4 weeks the bunched up ones are twice as big a the ones that have room...
the smaller ones have shedded the cotyledons wile their still green on my bunched up ones...

--------------------
-Know ye not that ye are gods?-
My homepage

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

Re: Lets make our Convolvulaceae bloom! (HBWR, Rivea, Morning Glory..) [Re: Vertigo6911]
    #4074956 - 04/19/05 10:26 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

interesting. makes sense though seen as tehy spend their lives creeping, crawling, and strangling otehr plants. guess they have adapted to prefer "crowded" conditions. come to think of it they grew far better on teh edges of lawn than in flat types of areas. i always thought it was due to water, which it was as well.

im pretty suprised how small your roots are though. when i grew them they would fill a 1 gallon pot before reaching 2 feet. trippy stuff.

--------------------

OfflineVertigo6911
Entheobotanist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Lets make our Convolvulaceae bloom! (HBWR, Rivea, Morning Glory..) [Re: felixhigh]
    #4075077 - 04/19/05 11:02 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

well they were rooted enuff to take them outof the pot with the soil
staying in 1 piece, but only a few roots visible...

peeps keep telling me that i need to water less when its time to flower, maybe the tricky ones can be conviced to flower by letting them go realy dry...
nature would send the signals trough temp and dryness of the air...
flowering is the plants attempt to propogate befoe it dies off, maybe latting it think its about to wil do the trick...

--------------------
My homepage

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

Re: Lets make our Convolvulaceae bloom! (HBWR, Rivea, Morning Glory..) [Re: Vertigo6911]
    #4075100 - 04/19/05 11:09 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

possibly. MGS flower here starting around june (REALLY DRY!). they last till about october (i mean reflower not last). it starts getting wet end of sept and thats when flowers start dieing off. but that could very well be the cold as well. come november tehy are mostly dormant.

--------------------

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

#4295323 - 06/14/05 03:36 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

well still no sign of flowering, but my riveas are taking over a piece of about 4' by 4' trellis i gave them a few months ago. I seperated one of my layered cuttings today from the plant that sprouted with three cotyledons, and I expect it to survive (it already has developed a certain woodiness at the base of the stem). I've already layered two other cuttings, from one of the other two plants.

One question though. My plants have on some of the hardier stems that haven't become woody tiny hairs almost like one sees on a tomato plant. Has anyone else seen this? I ask because I don't remember having heard this mentioned before.

Maybe someday I'll have a digital camera and be able to post some pics.

--------------------

It will never come true

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

#4505108 - 08/06/05 09:50 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

bumppity bump bump bump.

--------------------

It will never come true

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

More Rivea.... [Re: Hooty]
    #4596046 - 08/29/05 06:23 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

From time to time I am struck with the profound urge to continue my research on Rivea Corymbosa. Today is one of those days. Still trying to get this vine to flower. The theory I'm most currently ascribing to is that of amount of water. There's a thread running currently on the entheogen.com forums (although mostly idle now, much like this one) that got me on this theory. A guy who goes by sputnik3 on that forum made the following post:

Quote:

I have grown this plant for 6 years and it spent 3 in the 12 in pot,
it never flowred either,
The only time I have seen flower on this species is in the Dominican REP. I think it have to be in a natural enviroment to flower. Even light cycles never effected it.
in the DR it seems to be more effected by wet/dry cycles it flowers in feb-april right after the wet season
food for thought.
MJB

and a fellow who goes by catfish made a similar, yet more inspiring post directly thereafter:

Quote:

Hi all-
i got mine to flower early this year, like in late Feb or March.
I only got 12 seeds, and i'm not sure if they're viable...I only have one plant so far.
-cfg

(Thread located at http://www.entheogen.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=5039.html )

So from these two posts one would get the impression that Riveas flower in the rainy season in their natural habitats which are generally from February to April.

I also found a good amount of information in a general info pdf file located at http://www.fs.fed.us/global/iitf/pdf/shrubs/Turbina%20corymbosa.pdf
Which not only claims that corymbosas (which are for the duration of that pdf referred to as "christmas vines", a name that i've seen used to refer to a different vine altogeather though from the references used in this pdf I'm confident it refers to the correct vine)

Quote:

"...demands full or nearly full
sunlight and will not grow under a closed forest
canopy. Christmas vine will grow on most welldrained
soils. It is reported to bloom more
profusely on ?red? and limey soils (Woman?s Club
of Havana 1952). The species has been observed
by the author growing in areas of Puerto Rico that
receive from 1000 to 2000 mm of annual
precipitation."

From what I've seen in the growth increase (in foliage and stem) after adding lime to soil I'd say that the claim made by the Woman's Club of Havana is reasonable, and the final sentence of this quote encourages my current theory of water levels necessary for flowering. So currently I'm watering my plants, which are in a 12" (give or take) diameter pot (all three of them) and are currently consuming a piece of 4' x 4' trellis", everyday until water runs from the bottom of the pot. This usually involves what I'd estimate to be slightly less than a gallon of water. An amount that seems highly excessive, but I'll maintain this treatment to the well drained soil their in everyday until I get flowers or see signs of ill effects. Currently the growth rate of the plants has noticably increased from this watering system.

Anyone else still experimenting and trying to get blooms with this vine? I'd feel encouraged to know I wasn't the only one still laboring. Maybe someone with some real results?

Names I've seen used to refer to Rivea corymbosa in my reading:

rivea corymbosa
convolvulus corymbosus
convolvulus sidaefolius
ipomoea sidaefolia
ipomoea corymbosa
ipomoea burmannii
christmas vine
christmas wreath
aguinaldo blanco
corona de novia
ololiuqui
ololiuquiliuqui
Ololiuhqui
badoh

Obviously some of these are more familiar than others.

--------------------

It will never come true

OfflineVertigo6911
Entheobotanist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: More Rivea.... [Re: Hooty]
    #4598234 - 08/30/05 05:40 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

i recently got some labelled 'turbina corymbosa'...

--------------------
My homepage

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: More Rivea.... [Re: Vertigo6911]
    #4603991 - 08/31/05 02:08 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

yeah I must have forgot to put that one on the list. definately one of the more common ones, and I think it's actually a more modern piece of nomenclature than rivea corymbosa.

--------------------

It will never come true

OfflineVertigo6911
Entheobotanist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4603998 - 08/31/05 02:10 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

mm i still like rivea corymbosa best :smile:
its just so elegant...

--------------------
My homepage

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

#4605736 - 08/31/05 08:48 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

how are your vines doing vertigo?

--------------------

It will never come true

OfflineVertigo6911
Entheobotanist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4607020 - 09/01/05 02:44 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

well i moved my ipomeas to my mums garden where they are taking over that corner and are steadily invading the neigbors yard.
my rivea are just producing their second true leafs.
i hung up ropes and i intend to let it take over my ceiling inside.

ive always had a thing for vines...

--------------------
My homepage

OfflineTranceharper
Psychokitty

Loc: Pacific Northwest USA
    #4698591 - 09/22/05 11:53 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

A screwy little experiment I did with Ipomeoa Tricolor 'Heavenly Blue' , I took the untreated seeds , planted in a pyrex cassorale dish , about 1/2 inch below soil , misted the hell out of this ( there was no drainholes in the dish so couldent 'water' . and placed it underneath a florescent light with about 3" between soil and light tubes , this is how I start my datura / tobacco as well, and I just simply use a large tablespoon to remove them when second set of leaves show ( datura / tobacco / and Ipomeoa I do this ) , and plant in their respective containers , well I did this with about three morning glory ' whips ' , to a 1 gallon pot , and put a stick ( about the archery arrow ) alongside the pot , and put under florescents , I started the cycle on 14 hours on / 10 off , and vauge memory, I moved the datura / tobacco out at some point, but left the morning glories under this , I had a timer for this , that only could go in 15 minute incriments, and I increased it by that every 3-4 days I think, its hard to remember, well in anycase , what resulted, was these 'vines ' wraping around the stick , and within a very short time , these produced blooms, exessive blooms, that droped everywhere and made a wretched mess , all and all, if I unwraped the vines, they were about 4' long, and had dozens of blooms each , why I did this I dont really know, they grow really fast, and it was interesting to see just how 'playing' with lights would effect them :P -Tranceharper

--------------------
Meow ===^{o_o}^===

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds