Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Lets make our Convolvulaceae bloom! (HBWR, Rivea, Morning Glory..) [Re: Gr0wer]
    #3625431 - 01/13/05 08:31 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

In hopes of maintaining this thread in a manner that would make it as comprehensive a resource on the topic as possible, and in hopes of making this a starting point for anyone researching this matter, I'd like to add a link to felixhigh's thread on his blooming Hawaiian Baby Woodrose here:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3618548/an/0/page/0

--------------------

Without love in the dream
It will never come true

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Loc: Samsara
Re: Lets make our Convolvulaceae bloom! (HBWR, Rivea, Morning Glory..) [Re: felixhigh]
    #3654107 - 01/20/05 03:12 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I was reading Darwin's Orgin of Species and he was talking about how some domesticated plants will not flower because of environmental factors. He mentioned watering. So I of couse thought about our HBWR problem. Anyways see what the anual rainfall is in the areas where they are native during their flowering season. Try to replicate this and the high humidity. Just an idea.

--------------------
Our quest for discovery fuels our creativity in all fields, not just science. If we reached the end of the line, the human spirit would shrivel and die. But I don't think we will ever stand still: we shall increase in complexity, if not in depth, and shall always be the center on an expanding horizon of possibilities.
-Stephen Hawking

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Lets make our Convolvulaceae bloom! (HBWR, Rivea, Morning Glory..) [Re: mr_minds_eye]
    #3654235 - 01/20/05 03:39 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Annual Rainfall for Oaxaca, Mexico:

Elevation in feet, Rainfall in inches, Temperature in Farenheit.

Sorry if it doesn't align right, let me know and I'll try and fix it
but I don't think there's any way to make anything like a table.

Elevation: 5068'
Temperature:
Month____________High___________Low
Jan_______________70_____________42
Feb_______________85_____________50
Mar_______________89_____________54
Apr_______________91 ____________58
May_______________90_____________60
Jun_______________85_____________60
Jul________________83_____________59
Aug_______________84_____________59
Sep_______________82_____________59
Oct_______________82_____________55
Nov_______________83_____________50
Dec_______________82_____________47

Rainfall:
Jan - 0.1"
Feb - 0.1"
Mar - 0.4"
Apr - 1.0"
May - 2.4"
Jun - 4.9"
Jul - 3.7"
Aug - 4.1"
Sep - 6.7"
Oct - 1.6"
Nov - 0.3"
Dec - 0.4"
Total Annual - 25.7"

These sites also have lots of good information:
http://www.tomzap.com/climate.html
http://oaxacalive.com/weather.htm

So it looks like the temperatures are very stable and temperate all year long, with the rainy season being from summer through fall.

This all depends however on whether you're on the coastal plains or in the mountains, and my understanding is that Rivea grows throughout.

Hope this is helpful.

--------------------

It will never come true

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Re: Lets make our Convolvulaceae bloom! (HBWR, Rivea, Morning Glory..) [Re: Hooty]
    #3654380 - 01/20/05 04:10 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I bet most of us here would sell our souls for a nice greenhouse....

--------------------
Our quest for discovery fuels our creativity in all fields, not just science. If we reached the end of the line, the human spirit would shrivel and die. But I don't think we will ever stand still: we shall increase in complexity, if not in depth, and shall always be the center on an expanding horizon of possibilities.
-Stephen Hawking

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Lets make our Convolvulaceae bloom! (HBWR, Rivea, Morning Glory..) [Re: mr_minds_eye]
    #3655679 - 01/20/05 08:19 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

seems like it would be a lot easier and less eternally damning just to build one...

--------------------

It will never come true

OfflineGNIOM1498
Death Cup
 User Gallery

Loc: My home is where my spiri...
Re: Lets make our Convolvulaceae bloom! (HBWR, Rivea, Morning Glory..) [Re: Hooty]
    #3656840 - 01/21/05 12:18 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Ha agreed with above! funny

--------------------

----ALL MY POSTS ARE FICTIONAL-------

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Lets make our Convolvulaceae bloom! (HBWR, Rivea, Morning Glory..) [Re: GNIOM1498]
    #3656843 - 01/21/05 12:18 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

:grin:

--------------------

It will never come true

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
    #3663302 - 01/22/05 03:54 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I'm sure you could just buy another one off of e-bay. Also I hear the nightlife in hell is where its at.

--------------------
-Stephen Hawking

OfflineAlsius
Non-photo Blue

#3663445 - 01/22/05 04:40 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Suffice to say, my Rivea did not take to flowering with my experiments. One of the few nights I decided to take the covering off was the one and only freeze we had all year. She is dead now :frown:

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
Re: Lets make our Convolvulaceae bloom! (HBWR, Rivea, Morning Glory..) [Re: Alsius]
    #3663944 - 01/22/05 06:24 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

now THATS bad luck uh? 'born under a bag sign...'
i would love to grow some rivea. are you sure it won't come back from the roots? the seeds are cheap...

too bad i couldn't get the digi pics guys but there are plenty analogical pictures coming...

FH

OfflineAlsius
Non-photo Blue

Re: Lets make our Convolvulaceae bloom! (HBWR, Rivea, Morning Glory..) [Re: felixhigh]
    #3664038 - 01/22/05 06:50 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I'm not so sure about it coming back from roots. This is the first Rivea plant I've ever had. I wouldn't rule out the possibility, but I'm pretty sure a replanting is in order. Think I'll wait till spring. I have plenty of seeds if anyone wants to give it a go. Just PM me and I wouldn't mind giving out a few.

Yea, it was a pity about her too. Really hurt my heart in a way :frown:. Real beauty she was. Funny, it happened on Christmas day too. Weird how things work out some times. But her predecessor will be as beautiful as she :smile:.

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Lets make our Convolvulaceae bloom! (HBWR, Rivea, Morning Glory..) [Re: Alsius]
    #3961328 - 03/23/05 06:57 PM (19 years, 10 days ago)

Have we discussed soil pH in this thread? Anyone know what the pH of the soil is in central mexico, or think that this may have something to do with this problem?

--------------------

It will never come true

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

#3988224 - 03/29/05 10:54 PM (19 years, 3 days ago)

Alright so ever since I started growing Rivea (which was around this time last year) I've had very little growth. I saw some improvement when I repotted them into a bigger pot and gave them some trellis, but they never really took off. I've got three vines in one probably 12 inch pot. Maybe a little cramped, but I would still expect growth, I mean these aren't huge mature vines. Even though they're about a year old, they don't appear to be much more than seedlings. Ever since the end of last summer when I transplanted them and gave them trellis they haven't grown much, aside from an initial growth boost of a few inches.

The vines would grow a few new leaves and then the older larger ones would yellow and fall off. Towards the beginning of spring (which is a little earlier down here) I started giving them a healthy shot of fish emulsions every other week and a few weeks ago I sprinkled a bit of bone meal of the surface.

But these fertilizers have had no effect, so the thought occurred to me that maybe the pH was a bit low, so after adding some agricultural lime I've seen a great deal of new growth, and although it's very dense and there's not much spreading going on, I'm very optimistic. So it may be possible that the soil these vines prefer is somewhat alkaline. Any thoughts?

--------------------

It will never come true

OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

Loc: England.
    #3989088 - 03/30/05 05:52 AM (19 years, 3 days ago)

I think, if you just want any old LSA containing seeds, then it is best to go down to your local garden centre and get a load of heavenly blues to plant. This is because if they are sold in your area, then it means that they will flower in your area if you follow the instructions on the packet. I've grown heavenly blues quite a few times and always get magnificent flowers, all I do is water them a few times a week in the summer, and give them partial shade (which is the most light I can give anything in my garden, because we have two huge birch trees right in the middle, which puts everything in partial shade!).
Although of course, growing some rivea or argyreia would be more interesting....

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Lets make our Convolvulaceae bloom! (HBWR, Rivea, Morning Glory..) [Re: Openminded]
    #3991177 - 03/30/05 03:52 PM (19 years, 3 days ago)

Of course it would be easier to grow some Ipomoea violacea, but the point of this thread really is to figure out what one would need to dot to get he Convolvulaceae species that are tougher to get to flower and set seed to do just that. At some point if we are to expect the cultivation of the more potent, more powerful, or even just rarer species of entheogens to be common, we're going to have to do the footwork of figuring out what it's going to take to make it a practical thing to do.

--------------------

It will never come true

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: Lets make our Convolvulaceae bloom! (HBWR, Rivea, Morning Glory..) [Re: Openminded]
    #3992083 - 03/30/05 07:19 PM (19 years, 3 days ago)

to me its like growing peyote as well as san pedro. i want everything....

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Lets make our Convolvulaceae bloom! (HBWR, Rivea, Morning Glory..) [Re: kadakuda]
    #4067117 - 04/17/05 11:35 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

To update my the situation I alluded to in my previous post about adding the limestone, my plants are growing like mad. I wish I had a web cam or some sort of digital camera to show everyone, but to those of you out there that are having problems with slow growth you should try this.

It's been found to be true by a few people (including myself previously) that rivea doesn't really grow much without something to grow on, but one of the three vines in the pot, originally the runt, is not growing vertically with very large (or comperatively large, rather) leaves and with no support at all.

--------------------

It will never come true

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

#4067300 - 04/18/05 12:28 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

awsoem stuff!  ive got a few rivea and a couple hbwr seedlings i jsut put outside a few hours ago.  ;ets see if one season will do anything in south west canada...dont hold your breath :grin:

--------------------

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Lets make our Convolvulaceae bloom! (HBWR, Rivea, Morning Glory..) [Re: kadakuda]
    #4067348 - 04/18/05 12:47 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, I'm hoping to see an enormous amount of growth this growing season. Like I mentioned before I gave them a steady treatment of fish emulsions once every two weeks for a month or two, and I've added some bone meal too. I'm hoping the latter may encourage them to flower, but who knows. Probably not going to be the case.

The soil mine are in is rather sandy, with a bit of composted manure, if I remember correctly. That's really about it aside from the limestone which I've already mentioned.

There's three of them in a pot that's probably about a foot in diameter, which may be a little cramped, but I don't really want to transplant them this season, as I just transplanted them into that pot from three 3" pots at the end of last summer, and I'm hoping that the stress caused by the cramping may cause them to flower. Probably a poor assumption. If growth stunts and doesn't pick back up before the end of summer I'll probably repot them in august, but if they show no signs of slowing I'm going to let them go in that pot, until they demand some change, then I'll probably see about seperated them, which is something I'm a little apprehensive about, since I'm worried about damaging their roots. But they're rather woody to be so young (about a year) and I think they'll prove to be hardy little bastards.

--------------------

It will never come true

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

#4067374 - 04/18/05 01:00 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

i know im kin dof going back on everything ive said regarding MG. but i think i would plant them in teh ground (rivea and hbwr). i am here anyway cause im pretty sure tehy will die off in the winter and wont become a pain in me arse.

my thinking is this. they have HUGE root systems. so i would assume any pot would be too small. perhaps given free roam they may be mroe ready to throw flowers? i realyl dont know. just seems pretty harsh to keep these types of plants in pots. although i think that would be wise with MG for safety sake.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds