Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleTheHateCamel
Research &Development -DBK
What do you do to stay happy/ are you honest with yourself at all?
    #3306280 - 11/01/04 09:03 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

This is a small slice of what I'm thinking.

I haven't met a happy person for as long as I can remember.

How many people do you know who are unhappy or complain constantly?

I've been as happy and dumb as anyone and gone into some seriously terrible depths and come out thinking I understood a little something.

It is really hard to be happy if you have even an inkling of an idea about how shitty life is for so many other people. Assuming that means anything to you. And it shoud.

I appricate that my life isn't totally shitty and do the best I can to help everyone else. BUT it's almost impossible to do that while simultaneously getting myslef out of this menial niche. Working full time makes it pretty hard to do anything for anyone aside from holding doors and making someone laugh throughtout the day.

So, what the fuck?

I am now in limbo.

Are you happy?

How and why?

It honestly seems that most everyone I meet just lies to themselves about being happy every day which makes them absolutely miserable.

I can see it in so many people.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: What do you do to stay happy/ are you honest with yourself at all? [Re: TheHateCamel]
    #3306297 - 11/01/04 09:07 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I prefer not to fool myself with delusions of happiness.

I am content, and that is enough (for now).

Most emotion is overrated, anyway :smirk:

--------------------
BTC - 1KqrSHZ1C3NsQP4g3PkHhppBnhdgyXr6sB

InvisibleTheHateCamel
Re: What do you do to stay happy/ are you honest with yourself at all? [Re: trendal]
    #3306311 - 11/01/04 09:11 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

So what keeps you content?

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Re: What do you do to stay happy/ are you honest with yourself at all? [Re: TheHateCamel]
    #3306319 - 11/01/04 09:13 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

My Goal in life has a lot to do with it, I think.

--------------------

InvisibleTheHateCamel
Re: What do you do to stay happy/ are you honest with yourself at all? [Re: trendal]
    #3306329 - 11/01/04 09:15 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

So what specificly keeps you content?

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

#3306349 - 11/01/04 09:21 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I decided to make my Goal, the one I would work hardest for, to be just Living. So each night when I go to sleep, I can feel content in knowing I've achieved my Goal for one more consecutive day. It may sound simple, but it works (for me). Of course I feel brief periods of discontent from time to time, but it always has a direct external source. When the source is gone, so is the discontent.

Want not. Wish not. Wishing breeds disappointment. Seize every opportunity, but be content with what you have. Now is all you have, so be content with now :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleTheHateCamel
    #3306360 - 11/01/04 09:23 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, basic eastern religion.

Do you work?

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

#3306370 - 11/01/04 09:25 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Full time, yes.

--------------------

InvisibleTheHateCamel
    #3306386 - 11/01/04 09:30 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

How did you condition yourself to remember that your "just living"?

Was it a decision you made one night on a whim?

Did that idea stick with you after a trip?

Do I even know why I made this thread anymore?

:smirk:

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
    #3306392 - 11/01/04 09:32 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I am one of those eternal optomists by nature. I almost always see the good side of everything. There have only been a handful of events in my life that I can honestly say 'depressed' me. And those passed fairly quickly.

I have never understood the pesonality trait that forces people to be glum or depressed or sad or distraught. It makes no sense to me to waste your time worrying about things. You just do what you can to better your life and enjoy yourself along the way. I never focus on the things I don't have. Instead, I take great pleasure in the things I enjoy every day and I find satisfaction in striving for things that I want in the future. The rest is all just "window dressing".

You may be right, there may be a lot of unhappy people in this world. But I'm just glad that I'll never be one of them! I guess you could say I am one of the terminally happy.

Life is too short to waste it on negative emotions!!

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#3306408 - 11/01/04 09:36 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

My internal world is beautiful and wonderful. So much about life that just inspires awe, and it's taken a lot to come to that point.

But then I look at the external world, and I see all the insane things that go on, it seems in such contradiction with my internal self. I work to change that, but it is an extremely uphill battle, to say the least.

In that sense I remain happy by not denying myself my own internal perspective, but also being responsible in what I do in the external world because there is a lot that needs to change.

So to answer your question, drugs, video games, and music. Sure makes me happy! :grin:

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

InvisibleTheHateCamel
Re: What do you do to stay happy/ are you honest with yourself at all? [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #3306427 - 11/01/04 09:41 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Edited by TheHateCamel (12/08/07 02:09 PM)

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

#3306437 - 11/01/04 09:43 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

No it was not a quick decision. I would say that I have spent my entire life to get where I am, mentally. I don't think there's ever an end to the process, as it requires constant adaptibility. Adaptability is where it all started, for me. I realized that it was much easier to adapt to my surroundings than have them adapt to me. It also causes a great deal less stress. As I learned to adapt, as habit, I saw the wisdom in not wishing to change your surroundings (I am not saying that making change is unwise, only that there is wisdom in not wishing for change). Also, I grew up very much in love with Science. I learned early on about cause and effect, deterministic rules, and generally the "way things work". The idea of change being determined by cause/effect combines nicely with not wishing for change and only seizing opportunities which present themselves (ie: don't force your own opportunities).

Adaptation = key. It's how life got this far in the first place :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleTheHateCamel
Re: What do you do to stay happy/ are you honest with yourself at all? [Re: Twirling]
    #3306451 - 11/01/04 09:46 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

InvisibleTheHateCamel
    #3306458 - 11/01/04 09:47 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Very nice. Thank you.

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#3306480 - 11/01/04 09:52 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

TheHateCamel said:
Thankfully I have a pretty girlfriend who was probably born laughing, she keeps me pretty busy.

That can be inspiring too. My mom actually claims that she heard me laugh when I was born. I don't doubt it!

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Offlinenonoman
ambassador
Male User Gallery

Loc: the wood
Re: What do you do to stay happy/ are you honest with yourself at all? [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #3306513 - 11/01/04 09:57 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

ToTheSummit said:
I am one of those eternal optomists by nature.  I almost always see the good side of everything.  There have only been a handful of events in my life that I can honestly say 'depressed' me.  And those passed fairly quickly.

I have never understood the pesonality trait that forces people to be glum or depressed or sad or distraught.  It makes no sense to me to waste your time worrying about things.  You just do what you can to better your life and enjoy yourself along the way.  I never focus on the things I don't have.  Instead, I take great pleasure in the things I enjoy every day and I find satisfaction in striving for things that I want in the future.  The rest is all just "window dressing".

You may be right, there may be a lot of unhappy people in this world.  But I'm just glad that I'll never be one of them!  I guess you could say I am one of the terminally happy.

Life is too short to waste it on negative emotions!!

:thumbup:

OfflineShroomFan
nn dmt

Re: What do you do to stay happy/ are you honest with yourself at all? [Re: nonoman]
    #3306551 - 11/01/04 10:04 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

great thread..maybe someone should make one - each person lists something that makes them happy

--------------------
Fellow Shroomerites, if you Love expressing yourself with a dope tee shirt feast your 3rd eye on www.facebook.com/vicereversa
∞ Conscious Clothing for Conscious Minds ∞ Wear a tee , open a mind
Each shirt is spawned to Arouse Awareness <> We believe in Sustainability & Giving back <> Do you know of a community project or persons in need you feel deserves attention? - Tell us on our page And we just might pick the story > develop a tee > and donate the proceeds to that cause. ∞♥∞ Unget it, VICE REVERSA

InvisibleTheHateCamel
Re: What do you do to stay happy/ are you honest with yourself at all? [Re: ShroomFan]
    #3306586 - 11/01/04 10:10 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

InvisibleRapmaster
Stranger
    #3306683 - 11/01/04 10:34 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

For me, happiness has been hard to come by lately. Nothing in my life seems to be going well. I realize that life is going to improve in due time, so that's what keeps me going.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Community >> The Pub