Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMushBus
CURVEBALL MASTER

burst grains
    #3305495 - 11/01/04 03:33 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

No matter what my buddy does he gets burst wbs. He has tried varying the soak time, pc time, simmer time, Nothing works .Actually he did a wbs jar un-simmered but it dried out real fast, no burst grains though.

He also has similar trouble with popcorn. Soaks for 24 hours then simmer or not they mostly end up burst. Currently pcing for 60 min @ 12 psi. He doesn't really want to go less for fear of contams and its only 12 psi.

Can you guys give me some advice i can pass on?

BTW wbs brand is Mills Bros and popcorn is generic Fry's brand.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: burst grains [Re: MushBus]
    #3305573 - 11/01/04 03:49 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

its not really much to worry about to be honest... it will colonize just fine
unless it has become mush or overly wet

OfflineMushBus
CURVEBALL MASTER

Re: burst grains [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3305618 - 11/01/04 03:58 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Well about 70% of his grains were wiped out by wetspot, it was very minor though.

I dont know what hes doing wrong. He drained very well and jars looked good untill about week two, then bam, bacteria.

Might havta drop the grains and go back to brf.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3307536 - 11/02/04 12:08 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Probably not simmering (should be on med-low when simmering, not high), or simmering for to long. And you want to drain them immediatly. Simmer for about 20 minutes and it should be good. Like prisoner said..burst kernals are ok as long as theyre not overly wet..generally they tend to be though.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
Re: burst grains [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3307955 - 11/02/04 04:20 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Reduce your simmer time and reduce your pc time to reduce burst grains=soaking has very little to do with moisture content.

When simmering, I usually just let the grains get good and hot [not boiling]and let them set for about 20 minutes, just under boiling.Stirring constantly to keep the grains on the bottom from exploding.

I have noticed more exploded grains when attempting to use other wbs formulas[name brands]other than my usual brand-Penningtons.

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/26004

Good luck!

:cool: :thumbup:

--------------------

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #3308034 - 11/02/04 05:45 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

MushBus said:
No matter what my buddy does he gets burst wbs.  He has tried varying the soak time, pc time, simmer time, Nothing works .Actually he did a wbs jar un-simmered but it dried out real fast, no burst grains though.

Can you guys give me some advice i can pass on?

BTW wbs brand is Mills Bros and popcorn is generic Fry's brand.

try soaking your wbs for 12-20hrs and then just mixing in some dry verm(not more than 33% total) to soak up the extra water.no need to simmer just load jars and pc.
kramer notes that wbs can be very forgiving(as to moisture content)with the added verm(kramer likes fine verm for this)
:goodluck:

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

Invisiblebotanisthype
P$ylocibe$ounDW@vE!
Male User Gallery

Loc: DECEPTICON MANOR
Re: burst grains [Re: george castanza]
    #3308965 - 11/02/04 11:56 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

here DUde .>>>fuck the soakin ..it KOOL and all,but i used to saok 24 hours and simmer and it takes damn long,you can sure fire it- ...throw your grain in to a big ass pot simmer on medium/low-<whatever you like but just make sre you stir and watch it closely ..and when the timing is right which would be about 15-20 min.stir and you'll find like 5% grain spltting,and THATS what you want ,.turn off the burner,make sure when you drain you skim all the sunflower seeds cuz those things can rape you if your lucky,make sure its cold water ,hot water washes away potential nutrients,then let it drain for like 20 min, make sure when you squeeze the grain only 1 or so light drops of water squeezes out ..then off to the pc you go..and inoculate ..""FOLLOW and ye SHALL YEILD!

--------------------
Please +REP if i've been of any help... thanks!!!

Dinosaur of the Funny Family, though I have short arms, they fit in my GB... lol

Invisibledobinky
infoseeker
 User Gallery
Loc: Wiki, Kentucky
Re: burst grains [Re: botanisthype]
    #3308996 - 11/02/04 12:06 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

many ways of doing it...my friend finds it easy to simmer seeds for 45 min....then drain 30min and PC.

--------------------
Today?s Pig is Tomorrow?s Bacon

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds