Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
Thoughts on Yucca Mountain?
    #3301156 - 10/31/04 01:52 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I could have sworn I made a post about this last spring... I guess not.
The whole topic entered my mind again because I read an interview with Kerry where he was talking about it.

So, do people here have opinion on our government's proposed nuclear waste repository in Nevada? I read a bit about it last year. One of my proffesors gave me a book about it. And there was also an entire chapter about it in one of my geology text books (Nevada is probably the best geologic place on Earth to construct something like this, though certain parts of Russia and Australia may also prove useful). I personally am 100% percent behind the project. There are, if I remember right, close to 100 current spent fuel storage sites within the US. This is obviously very dangerous in terms of security. This stuff also takes tens of thousands of years to decay, so all these current sites better hope they're in business at least that long.

I should point out that while I'm behind the government's efforts on this, I'm also in favor of reprocessing, which the US currently refuses to do. This goes back to a law passed under the Carter administration I believe. Cold War tensions being what they were back then.

Bush approved the building of Yucca a few years ago (the government promised it would be built by 2000). Kerry has opposed it, most likely because he wants to pick up Nevada on Tuesday.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBugmenot2
Stranger
Re: Thoughts on Yucca Mountain? [Re: Gijith]
    #3301371 - 10/31/04 03:06 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I'm supposedly less than 1/2 a mile on one the routes to Yucca(train tracks). I support it something has to be done about all this waste. This is dangerous stuff I can only hope they take security very seriously there. It's really a scary thought if something went wrong.

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Re: Thoughts on Yucca Mountain? [Re: Bugmenot2]
    #3302244 - 10/31/04 07:22 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

The transportation issue is the one thing I'm worried about. Especially when this the waste is being moved through cities. I may be wrong, but last I knew, much of the waste would be travelling straight through metro Las Vegas. Considering the amount of money that's being spent on this project, I'm shocked the government isn't just building a detour.

I wanna add one more to anyone who's interested:

Many countries use lots of nuclear power but lack the proper geology to bury it. Many of them have been paying foreign governments to take their waste. Last year, Japan signed a multibillion dollar deal with Russia to house its waste for x amount of years. As far as I know, the US has yet to engage in these sorts of arrangements (though I may be mistaken). Does anyone think that we should?

--------------------

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
    #3302561 - 10/31/04 08:34 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I think Yucca Mountain is a great idea. We need more nuclear energy.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: Thoughts on Yucca Mountain? [Re: JesusChrist]
    #3302654 - 10/31/04 08:58 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

i think the fact that we have to seriously consider deposting nuclear material that will remain dangerous for tens of thousands of years into the desert is a symptom of a much greater problem. a continued dependence on environmentally-unfriendly sources of energy, and a complete lack of drive to research and implement better methods is only leaving the problem in our grand-children's hands...

i've read a bit on the yucca mountain site - and yes, i guess it does seem to be one of the most stable sites, geologically, to hold nuclear waste. and i will say that i support the united states dealing with its own waste much more than i support a policy of "selling it off" to the developing world... but i would definitely have to research this issue more before i could really make a stand.

--------------------

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: Thoughts on Yucca Mountain? [Re: Krishna]
    #3303020 - 10/31/04 10:52 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

It's better under a mountain than sitting in waste sites at reactors around the country.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #3303727 - 11/01/04 05:52 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yet another reason not to vote for Kerry. The man has no concept of real life.

Yucca Mountain is probably the best thought-out solution to a very tricky problem the US government has ever come up with. I fail to see how anyone who has looked into this situation could oppose it. Kerry is clearly (as usual) reflexively trashing Bush on this rather than expending any mental energy to actually grasp a problem. If he's not doing this reflexively -- if he actually believes the plan is wrong -- then the man is far too stupid to be allowed to command the US military.

pinky

--------------------

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Re: Thoughts on Yucca Mountain? [Re: Phred]
    #3303838 - 11/01/04 06:39 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

pinksharkmark said:
I fail to see how anyone who has looked into this situation could oppose it.

Just to be fair, I'm pretty sure both of the candidates you and I support are opposed to it.

From what I've read, Cobb seems to think Yucca will end up a permanent dump, sealed off and dangerous. Maybe he hasn't realized that the whole place is being designed so that every tube that goes in can be removed if and when a better method is discovered.

And I'll have to assume Badnarik is standing by the right of the nuclear industry to take its radioactive waste 50 miles offshore and dump it.

I stand behind both these men on various issues. This is not one of them.

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #3303873 - 11/01/04 06:57 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Badnarik opposes storing US-generated nuclear waste on US soil, specifically Yucca Mountain?

Source, please.

pinky

--------------------

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Re: Thoughts on Yucca Mountain? [Re: Phred]
    #3303920 - 11/01/04 07:34 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I'll try to find one.

To be accurate, I've read him saying that because he supports reprocessing, there would be no need for Yucca because there would be so little waste left over. He went on to say that if individual states wanted to build repositories, that was their choice.

Reprocessing does reduce the amount of waste, but there's still a lot of it. Almost every country that reprocesses is also trying to design a national storage site. Furthermore, I think the amount of waste we currently have is enough to warrant Yucca. And though Badnarik would be cool with states building their own sites, I'm sure he's smart enough to know that in most states, storing nuclear waste underground is pretty damn dangerous, not to mention politically unlikely. We'd be better off leaving it in the pools it's in now.... My main concern with Badnarik is whether he promotes regulations on nuclear plants. There's nothing in libertarianism that prevents companies from dumping other forms of waste, so long as they dump it either on their own land or in the ocean. I don't know if special rules would apply to nuclear waste or not. If companies have the right to just dump it on their own, they're most likely not going to cooperate with these expensive long term storage proposals.

edit: I'm pretty sure this is what I remember reading. http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/lv-gov/2004/sep/07/517468605.html

--------------------

Edited by Gijith (11/01/04 07:52 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder