Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Jack-o-Lanterns, Weilii, and Gyms (TONS OF PICS!)
    #3303022 - 10/31/04 10:55 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Welp... topic pretty much explains it all. Went hunting this weekend and came back with more pictures and mushrooms than necessary  :tongue:

I spotted some Jack-o-Lantern mushrooms (Omphalotus illudens) growing on campus as I was leaving, so I took a few pics of them. Note how similar these look to Gymnopilus that appear later in the post. O. illudens are very poisonous :

Now for the good stuff. Here's the result of about an hour and a half of walking around:

I learned the hardway that Gyms are too meaty to air dry on their own (my batch from last week got all moldy) , so I helped them out and sliced them up a good bit so they would dry. Here's the pic of them all sliced up:

Here's some pics of one of the clusters of gyms:

A wish-bone style stem within the cluster:

And of course, the weiliis. Note how some of them have blue-ish caps. I found one yard where all the caps were blue. It was odd:

Hopefuly the cold temps that are coming this weekend won't bring an end to the season and I'll have more pics for ya next weekend. It's supposed to be dropping into the low 40s- upper 30s, so we'll see how it goes.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Jack-o-Lanterns, Weilii, and Gyms (TONS OF PICS!) [Re: Gumby]
    #3303032 - 10/31/04 10:58 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

absolutely great finds and pictures!!

thats awesome you found jack-o-lanterns on Halloween!!!!

thanks for sharing, as always!

:sun:
Psily

--------------------
"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing.' Between the two, my life flows."

Puget Sound Mycological Society

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #3303064 - 10/31/04 11:08 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Great stuff, I love your Jack-o-Lantern/Gym pics.
Quote:

thats awesome you found jack-o-lanterns on Halloween!!!!

:wink:

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #3303251 - 11/01/04 12:50 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Great stuff, Gumby!

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleSuper_Blunt
Candyman
 User Gallery

Re: Jack-o-Lanterns, Weilii, and Gyms (TONS OF PICS!) [Re: ToxicMan]
    #3303622 - 11/01/04 03:38 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Incredible find, those mushrooms look like a delicious entree especially the cross sectioned gyms, look like dehydrated apple slices ( I have munchies right now )  :rolleyes:

--------------------

Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Loc: At work, at school, at my...
Re: Jack-o-Lanterns, Weilii, and Gyms (TONS OF PICS!) [Re: Super_Blunt]
    #3303662 - 11/01/04 04:08 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

nice gumby..I like...

--------------------
My hunting partner is gone, I miss her so!

OfflineMarcd046
Captain CiderConnoisseur

Loc: North East, Uk
Re: Jack-o-Lanterns, Weilii, and Gyms (TONS OF PICS!) [Re: nofind_um]
    #3304453 - 11/01/04 11:36 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Great finds and bice pics :crazy2:

--------------------

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
    #3304997 - 11/01/04 02:04 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Totally rad...

Those weilii are such a blast.. the fun part is getting out there and taking a walk, and seeing all the other mushrooms in full fruit.. I think this weekend is going to be the last Major weilii fruiting we have seen.

I did not realize it was goona get cold soon, but I think it will shock them into fruiting for the next rain maybe, and after that, I would expect the number to dindle greatly.
I am excited abot the spring season as well, and I wonder how fruitful it will be compared to this fall.

Keep the pics coming when you take more, A+ quality!  :mushroom2:

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Jack-o-Lanterns, Weilii, and Gyms (TONS OF PICS!) [Re: 2Experimental]
    #3305105 - 11/01/04 02:23 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Spring season rarely produces anywhere near what fall season does. I've been picking these guys for about 3 years and the spring season fruiting is very sporadic, usally only producing around 20 fruits per patch about 3-4 times before the summer hits.

And if this cold spell is anything like the last one, we should be back up to 80 within a few weeks  :tongue:

Damned this crazy weather. Had a high of 82F today, supposed to be 65F on Friday.

Offlinedeathcapcubensis
hunter
 User Gallery

#3305319 - 11/01/04 02:55 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Wow I found a huge patch of gymns growing off an old tree stump the other day...Im talking......100 specimens easy, and gymns grow rather large. So we picked about half of the large ones and let the smaller ones grow. Anyway we got discuoraged because I saw pictures of active gymns and they bruise blue...yours didnt bruise blue and now Im wondering if yours are active, maybe mine are too?

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Jack-o-Lanterns, Weilii, and Gyms (TONS OF PICS!) [Re: deathcapcubensis]
    #3305641 - 11/01/04 04:05 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Mine bruse blue, it just takes about 6-12 hours to see the bluing reaction. I took the pics about 30-45 min after picking them.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #3305778 - 11/01/04 04:51 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

nice stuff as always, gumby.

Offlinedeathcapcubensis
hunter
 User Gallery

Re: Jack-o-Lanterns, Weilii, and Gyms (TONS OF PICS!) [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #3307945 - 11/02/04 04:12 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

oh shit...........we threw them out :shocked: :sad:

Offlinesuperblingtheory
ghettogepetto

Loc: Omnipresent
Re: Jack-o-Lanterns, Weilii, and Gyms (TONS OF PICS!) [Re: deathcapcubensis]
    #3309433 - 11/02/04 01:58 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

All hail, King Gumby, ruler of the Georgia shroomdom. I want so bad to get down there for weiliiseason but I'm strapped for time, not cash in this instance. The gyms sure are comming up strong. The weilii blueing makes for interesting shots. Your gyms look closer to mine than any others I have seen thus far. Nice one.

--------------------

Guts and danger, Airborne Ranger...

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: Jack-o-Lanterns, Weilii, and Gyms (TONS OF PICS!) [Re: superblingtheory]
    #3310785 - 11/02/04 05:58 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

better wait till next fall to plan a big trip : )

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
    #3311118 - 11/02/04 07:13 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I gotta get out there and pick some of those gyms! I have all the weilii and cubensis a man needs, hell I got someleft over from 3 years ago :smile: But I'd really like to add some gyms to the collection. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get out there with you this weekend or not, already got lots to do planned for this weekend, but if time permits I'll see if I can sneak out and spend a few hours hunting the great weilii. I found a patch of about 10 or so today on my property again, and if I did everything right installing the driver for my camera and installing the usb port, I'll have pics up later tonight. You have to see thesee weilii growing from our sand tailings. All the stuff we seperate from our sand that we pump is what these weilii are fruting on. The weird thing is that I just piled up these talings about 2 months ago and already there grows clusters of weilii. And they never grow solitary or gregariously, only in clusters all sharing the same base. Anyways, let me get back to this camera thing and see if I can get some pics up yet tonight.

Take care, and btw great pics!

LK,

--------------------

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Re: Jack-o-Lanterns, Weilii, and Gyms (TONS OF PICS!) [Re: Lizard King]
    #3311694 - 11/02/04 09:30 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Alright, got my camera working. These pics aren't that great, they were taken at night when I found the patch. And the last pic is a few of the cubes I've been picking just down from my house and in my pasture.

--------------------

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
    #3311812 - 11/02/04 09:53 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

nice weilii, that is the illusive woodland weilii I think.. Were they on your property? and were those from this past rain? I am very interested in the range of woodland weilii and more info on what they grow around most commonly 'in the wild'

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

#3311908 - 11/02/04 10:14 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Like I said, these mushrooms are growing on what we seperate from our sand. When we pump the sand all the rock, sticks, and other organic debris are screened off to the side. After the pile gets so big we move it and spread it out on the ground. I just spread this stuff out less than 2 months ago, so I would count this as weilii growing from disturbed grounds, not really a natural thing. Now woodland weilii I am quite familar with, my first patch was a natural patch growing in the woods. They look quite different from the neighborhood variety and tend to be consistently more potent, just ask GreatOne :smile: I have tons of pics of the woodland variety of weilii, I just gotta get all my pics transfered to my new comp and I will post a tread of just woodland weilii. I can tell you that the major difference in the two varieties of weilii is shape, I know shape is usually a poor macro ID indicator, but in this case its merits mentioning. All woodland weilii I have ever picked have symetrical caps, perfect round caps and tall straight stems. The lawn variety of weilii are typically irregualr shaped with lots of variation even within the same patch, and they are usually short with thick stems. I know some of this can be attributed to the enviromental conditions from which they grow (i.e. short grass leads to short mushrooms tall grass makes tall mushrooms, any seasoned cubensis picker is well aware of this. But still, the fact that woodland weilii are always symetrical is note worthy.

--------------------

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
    #3315584 - 11/03/04 02:54 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

thanks for the info on woodland weilii... I am gonna try to get out and find some 'wild' ones next fall.. but for now I will be sticking to just the lawn type..

So: those were growing from the sand debris ehh? 2 months is a decent amount of time, enough to establish the mycelia and put up fruits..

I wonder though: the sand, where did you get the sand? Was in on your property? Do you think the weilii spores landed there from some other patch in the wild around your property or did you put some mycelia plugs into the debris?
Also, was percent debris would you say it was? Mostly black dirt right? Which brings up the necessity of clay for growth.
Anyways, I have noticed you around more since you got the Internet so if you can help me in my research I would be thankful.. you and Gumby are the bomb!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies